This year's ratings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This year's ratings

This is how I am doing ratings this year, since last year it was such a hassle and time commitment to get a large and capable committee together. I am allowing anyone and everyone to email me in their ratings of players. I will only be accepting excel spreadsheets in .xls or some similar file form. I will also only accept ratings that at least attempt to rate all of the players on the players signed up list.

How to do this: Have the first column be names, the 2nd be a number from 1-10 rating for their skill in WB, the 3rd column would be a number 1-10 of their javing skill, the 4th being a number 1-10 of their basing skill, and the 5th being the composite score.

Ex:
    Code:
    Name     WB     Jav     Basing     Composite
    Humid    5        6         7             18
    The scale that you are operating on is rough, but an average TWL starter is a 7, and 10s are only assigned to people whom you feel are the top 5 in their division. I want as few 10s as possible and would prefer most people to be in the 5-8 range.

Also if you don't know someone or don't know how good they are in a particular league, either leave the box blank or place a ? in it.

If this doesn't work out and I receive nothing within the next week, I will move to form a committee. Thanks for anyone who helps and gets involved....think of it as a chance to express what you truly think anonymously about your fellow players!!!

Email me spreadsheets @ blairp@seattleu.edu

Thanks,
    Humid
    Last edited by Summa; 05-11-2009, 08:29 PM.
    TWDT Head Op Seasons 2, 3, and 4
    TWL Season 14 & 17 Head Op
    Season 13 TWLD Champion, Seasons 13 & 14 LJ Champion

Winston Churchill: "That is the sort of nonsense up with which we will not put!"

Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly.
    - John F. Kennedy

A sadist is a masochist who follows the Golden Rule.
    Originally posted by kthx
    Umm.. Alexander the Great was the leader of the Roman empire, not the Greek empire guy.

i think we need some more advertisement to players. maybe get a zoner going once every couple hours or something.
    Originally posted by turmio
    jeenyuss seemingly without reason if he didn't have clean flours in his bag.
    Originally posted by grand
    I've been afk eating an apple and watching the late night news...

Comment

anyone interested in helping join chat=twdt

Winston Churchill: "That is the sort of nonsense up with which we will not put!"

- John F. Kennedy

Umm.. Alexander the Great was the leader of the Roman empire, not the Greek empire guy.

Comment

^^^ agreed

Comment

you should probabaly explain some of the rules you have in mind before people do this...

as in, is there going to be that gay stupid newbie rule of playing a 6* player in at least 2 games or whatever it was? and any other rules that might include player ratings like the drafting itself
          TWLD CHAMP - STRAY (SORT OF)

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckle View Post
            you should probabaly explain some of the rules you have in mind before people do this...

as in, is there going to be that gay stupid newbie rule of playing a 6* player in at least 2 games or whatever it was? and any other rules that might include player ratings like the drafting itself
            that rule will still exist, i am debating whether to limit any player to only playing in 2 leagues a week too. the strong base of my rules is already on display in the TWDT rule section which I have been updating. I will be more explicit and clear tomorrow when I put more work into revising the rules, but for now I am tired and spent.

- John F. Kennedy

Comment

what about making it a prerequisite that if you want to cap you have to put up an honest ratings of the players with your '?' in ppl they don't know.

then take that and cast out the extreme - and + values (say 15% top and bottom) and take an average for the players mixed with your own and other volunteers.

you could even include a rule that a cap can only bid that amount of stars on a player so if he rated him a 6 he couldn't draft him if he averaged a 7

the key to a successful TWDT is a good rating system and good caps - very hard to do but the ratings have got more convoluted since last year and they are tough to do as it is
              In my world,
              I am King

sigpic

Comment

Rating System

-Each player will be ranked based upon skill and performance in the past TWDT as well as in the past TWL's. They will be given a ranking (1-10*'s) in each category (Javs, Dueling, and Basing) meaning they will have a range of cost from 3*s as the absolute worst to 30*s being the absolute best. The rankings are a composition of applicants rankings submitted to me and averaged/adjusted by me and a few select members of a committee.

-Ratings for individual leagues are broken down as follows (the source of stats are primarily from past 2 TWLs and the past 2 TWDTs):
                10* - Top 3-5 player in your league
                9* - Top 10 player in your league
                8* - Impact TWL starter
                7* - Consistent TWL starter
                6* - Impact TWD player/ Started 1-2 TWL matches
                5* - Average to above Average TWD player/ TWL Sub
                4* - Low Average to Poor TWD player
                3* - First time TWD'er
                2* - Pubber
                1* - If you are given a 1* rating you are being alias checked or are potentially a cheater and are being verified by staff.

-Composite score is simply your 3 league scores added together, totaling your overall cost.

-There are to be no complaints about the Rating you are given. You cannot complain about yourself. This is being done not only by me but by a committee of 3 or more people so that it is not biased.

-Appealing your rating:You cannot appeal your own rating. However, you can appeal other people's rating. If I receive an appeal I deem valid or multiple appeals on a player's rating they will be reconsidered and re-evaluated by the committee.

-Each team will have a cap of *'s and you cannot exceed this number ever. If you exceed this cap you will be penalized. On the first day over the cap limit, the captain of the team is suspended from playing during that week. For every day after you will lose your upper tier players in the order they were drafted.

-You MUST play a 6* (in that particular league) or lower player in ALL of your league games per week. In the event that you wish to sub this player, they must be replaced with a 6* or lower player. Also, subbing in a 6* or lower player does not count as playing them, they must be in the starting lineup.

-Each player may only play in 2 league per week during the regular season. This rule will be suspended in the playoffs.

-Before the draft, players will be broken into their * categories and posted on the forums so that the caps may pick more easily.

-Composite rating only counts for costs for captains. In terms of the 6* rule, a player's rating in that particular league will be the only rating taken into account.
                Ex: Humid Wb: 5* Jav: 6* Base: 7* Composite: 18*s
                humid costs 18*'s to be bought in the draft and to be held on team Durban Poison's roster.
                Humid is added as a spider, he is a 7* player and does not qualify for being a 6* or lower.
                Humid is added in a Jav match, he does qualify as a 6* or lower.

-If a lower rated player makes it through our alias checking and gets rated as a very low ranked player when they should be a higher ranked player (8 or above), I reserve the right to edit their ranking.

This is the entirety of the current rating system rules as of now. I will still clarify more, I did not get to work on this as much as I had wanted to tonight, but this is a start for anyone who wants to start ranking. Also I am thinking about making anyone who is assigned a captain spot be required to submit a set of ratings for players.

- John F. Kennedy

Comment

Okay, Ive been working on a rating system that gives players values which ends up in a 10 star value. The formula is simple and currently is applied to last seasons scores. I believe, to make this draft its own league, and if we wanted to give value to players, then we should base that value on how well those players did in that league in the past.We shouldnt base values on our opinions or on other leagues. Even if you say theres no difference between them.

Okay back to the rating system that Im proposing:

1* 200$
                  2* 400$
                  3* 600$
                  4* 800$
                  5* 1000$
                  6* 1200$
                  7* 1400$
                  8* 1600$
                  9* 1800$
                  10* 2000$

Ardour
                  Warbird: Kills-Deaths 34-37 = 322
                  Javelin: 7-15 = 163
                  Spider: 0-0 = 250
                  Total = 735
                  Stars = 3

Now lets include a few who did well last season!

Ease
                  Warbird: 90-77 = 409
                  Javelin: 103-82 = 440
                  Spider: 419-324 = 453
                  Total = 1302
                  Stars = 6

Vys
                  Warbird: 81-63 = 450
                  Javelin: 44-59 = 261
                  Spider: 317-266 = 417
                  Total = 1128
                  Stars = 5

Formula is (k/d) x 350
                  Capping values at 100 to 650. Default is 250.
                  So a new player signing up is defaulted to 750 (3 stars).
                  For base ive made it so if kills are greater than deaths, it calculates a value. (so that all the sharks that took part last season dont get valued at 100!)

If a player does terrible in all 3 leagues, their total value will be set to 300 making them a 1 star player. If a player does amazing, the most possible value achievable will be 1950 (650 x 3) making them a 10 star player. This doesent stop them increasing even further in values. But they cant get more than 10 stars.

The player values were going to increase/decrease using the twlm formula.

Ive not actually looked at any other possible player values but even if the highest is around 6 stars at the start of this season, I still think thats good as it leaves something for players to strive for.

The above system is already programmed and is available to try at: http://www.trenchwars.org/twdt/new/
                  Login and it will work out your value. Relogin and click on the signup button, then click on 'Waivers' and you can see what your value is.
                  (I programmed this in mind to use it for this season so people didnt have to use the forum to signup but summas already created the signup thread and got things rolling)
                  Ogron - "Lifetime Achievement Award recipient for 10* attitude [Ardour]"

ranked #2 in ogrons signature of: TWL's most irrelevant nobodies pubtrash bozos with 0 titles.

TWLD Season 19 #70th Best Warbird
                  TWLB Season 19 #56th Best Spider

TW Greatest no-shipper 2002 - Present

Comment

Geio has 650 in base and I'm higher in jav than in warbird. This system doesn't look very accurate

Comment

The system HAS to be based on opinion or it will fail. Basing it on past statistics will not work.
                      3:Steadman> ive been a leader in every league of legends and basketball game ive ever played in

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt View Post
                        Geio has 650 in base and I'm higher in jav than in warbird. This system doesn't look very accurate
                        Geio played 1 base game in which he went 85-40.
                        so his value based soley on stats is (85/40) x 350 = 743.75
                        I cap players at 650 for this reason. So that if a players played 1 game, and does well, there rating is high because its easier to get a high k/d with just 1 ratio than keep a high k/d after many games.

Burnt total warbird kills-deaths:
                        54-67 value = (54/67) x 350 = 282
                        Jav:
                        20-22 value = (20/22) x 350 = 318

Last seasons scores are taken from here: http://forums.trenchwars.org/showthread.php?t=3444

If the totals are correct, then statistically, burnt, you played better in jav than you did in warbird last season.
                        Saying "but i suck in jav and im a great warbird!" is a typical thing to say. Even a terrible jav can go 1:1 and all it takes is bad luck for a good warbird to under perform.
                        I know your a great warbird Burnt and I know you were surrounded by great warbirds this twl season on Thunder and managed to win TWLD but I just wanted to see this division be its own division and not base any valuing on any other divison.

And if Sika signs up tomorrow, Id like to see him defaulted to 250 for each league. So now this has the ovbvious problem of having players under valued which is simply solved.
                        When all players that are taking part, have an assigned star value, we work out the average star value for players signed up, then times that by 40. (Because thats how many Ive heard it said we want per team.) Then we can put all players on the transfer market and all captains have a chance to bid for players, therefor, no captain has the advantage of having this first pick in the current system weve got.

Originally posted by Lock;
                        The system HAS to be based on opinion or it will fail. Basing it on past statistics will not work.
                        If you arent going to elaborate then all I will say is 'I disagree'.
                        Ogron - "Lifetime Achievement Award recipient for 10* attitude [Ardour]"

ranked #2 in ogrons signature of: TWL's most irrelevant nobodies pubtrash bozos with 0 titles.

TWLD Season 19 #70th Best Warbird
                        TWLB Season 19 #56th Best Spider

TW Greatest no-shipper 2002 - Present

Comment

awwww ard didnt get my awesome basing statistics from the beginning of the season entered in

this system that ardour spelled out is most likely going to be the system that we use next season (mostly because we aren't going to have the site fully operating by the 15th of June) and because it would be better to have 2 seasons in the db rather than just 1 source of material, so that inconsistencies like burnt being better in jav than wb will most likely get cleared up.

one major suggestion i have ard, is that you make some kind of factor for # of games played. someone who has competed in every game of both seasons but is slightly negative in ratio is obviously a valuable player and thus should be rewarded to some degree based upon how many games they played (this will also promote loyalty to the league hopefully).

there is still a possibility that we might switch over to this this season if all the kinks get worked out, but right now it isn't probable

- John F. Kennedy

Comment

Fantasy

What Ardour sounds like he is proposing is similar to an auction style fantasy sports draft. In the end, the player ratings will not really matter (besides any player level mandates, and that can be smoothed out), and the captains will attempt to transfer based on the ratings AND their own subjective opinions. In that way, Lock, there will be some opinion involved that will sort out any inconsistencies with the statistics, which will not be perfect considering the small sample size.
                            When I stab you, you stay stabbed.

T0MA> play like a man

Comment

Working...
                            X