Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mine bug and "d/c by death" problem .. please read

===== EDIT: APRIL 23, 2010 ... 11 months later. =========

I'm reviving this old post of mine from the tombs because it's still a problem for me when I play pub shark (and only when I shark), when I die frequently and repeatedly in a heated match.

I want to thank the bot programming community for making it possible to switch ships at will during matches, and still keep mvp and team leader status. Please, if there is something you can do to fix:

"d/c due to repeated and rapid deaths while attaching to baseterr or thrusting to flagroom",

please do so. Having an attach or even a thrust (shift key) reset the "MaxDeathWithoutFiring=5" would be wonderful and allow sharks to play aggressively (but obviously not afk) with a high death count during desperate flag-reseting rushes, without getting disconnected from the match.

Thanks.

===============================================

1) Mine bug (and related flag bug):

It's been around a while. When you log in (or lag badly enough) any already laid mines aren't visible to you (and neither is the flag). Those invisible mines usually can't kill you, either. It's bad enough as a bug, but players also exploit this by constantly relogging, thus being able to ram through all of the defender's mines. Please fix.

2) "d/c by death":

This was originally intended as a way to log out afk players that are being spawn killed, but it has unintended consequences. In a heated flag game, a rapid series of deaths with no kills will disconnect you from the server, as well. This is especially problematic for repping sharks that are taking heavy fire. I've been disconnected several times as a shark with this, and I must confess that it is starting to irk me (not to mention destroying the team base game in progress).
    Last edited by blackrazor; 04-23-2010, 12:18 PM.

I've played 6 seasons as a shark in TWLB, and have never been disconnected by dieing too quickly too many times. You have repels.

Comment

I believe its actually deaths without firing in the arena settings. So as long as you fire occasionally, you reset the count of deaths and therefore have little to no risk of d/c'ing.

and paul: it might be that the death without firing settings are different in your matches than actually pub settings.

Comment

Sorry oak, I'm just a lowly pub shark, and it happens plenty to me. I'll bet a disconnect for too many deaths while being spawned afk isn't a major problem in TWLB matches, either. We're talking pub here.

EDIT: Sharks don't have a control-key gun, and their bomb takes 1100 of 1200 energy and thus is used rarely while taking fire. If mines, reps, evasive movements, and attaches also counted as firing, then it wouldn't be a problem, in my opinion.

Comment

I've never had this problem happen to me in a shark either. I have seen the "invisible mines" bug, but that's unfixable.

I did have a problem in .38 where Continuum would crash after I respawned in a shark about 1/4 of the time which put me out of basing for a while, but that's long fixed for me.
          DELETED

Comment

Originally posted by blackrazor View Post
            Sharks don't have a control-key gun, and their bomb takes 1100 of 1200 energy
            1150 actually

trust me, i've tested it and my ce hotkey is set to 1150 for that reason
            Originally posted by Tone
            It is now time for the energy shift of the 7th root race to manifest on the 3D physical plane and uplift us back to 5D.
            Originally posted by the_paul
            Gargle battery acid fuckface
            Originally posted by Material Girl
            I tried downloading a soundcard

Comment

anything that is client generated originally wont be seen that includes bombs and bullets as well if they were in play before you log in. as for the afk dc yes the setting is max deaths without firing so if you choose to go afk in the spawn (while not too bright) you are asking for it. there are 5 safes in pub and spec to keep you in the game rather then trying to jack flag points.
              ?find dads revenge

Comment

Does repping reset the "d/c by death" counter?

Comment

only weapons
                  ?find dads revenge

Comment

I do believe attaching resets the counter.

Comment

Originally posted by Xog View Post
                      I do believe attaching resets the counter.
                      Attaching does not reset it. My rapid deaths and d/c are often as a result of repeatedly attaching to a terr and dying as I try to rep around him or rep into the fr. I guess that means that reps don't count, either. If reps and attaches counted, then I would have no problem.

One could argue that I suck as shark, and so it's my fault. But there is a problem with that. Even if I do suck (which I doubt, these situations are often as a result of me fighting multiple sharks or being outnumbered as I frantically try to protect terr or push into fr before the timer runs out ... remember this is pub and teams are not often equal), the game should not "punish" mediocre or "sucky" play with a disconnect that winds up screwing the match for everyone. Heck, players should NOT even have to be protected from their own silliness of sitting afk outside safe and dying repeatedly as a result, that is un-needed nanny-ism, in my opinion. The only thing that should disconnect players is excessive team-kills, and we don't even have that (nor am I arguing for it, just to be clear; it's just an example to illustrate how pointless and counter-productive the current "d/c by deaths" thing is).

In conclusion:

So, because sharks do NOT have a control-key gun, and their bomb consumes so much energy, I put forth that judging a shark's "afk-ness" as a candidate for d/c by deaths based solely on shots fired, is not a fair or accurate metric for this ship. If attaches, reps, and mines are included, then the formulae would work as intended for sharks. That is my recommendation.

Comment

Hey this newbie is pretty smart, I like him. Someone teach him how to shark.
                        Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

1) Mine bug (and related flag bug):

It's been around a while. When you log in (or lag badly enough) any already laid mines aren't visible to you (and neither is the flag). Those invisible mines usually can't kill you, either. It's bad enough as a bug, but players also exploit this by constantly relogging, thus being able to ram through all of the defender's mines. Please fix.

2) "d/c by death":

This was originally intended as a way to log out afk players that are being spawn killed, but it has unintended consequences. In a heated flag game, a rapid series of deaths with no kills will disconnect you from the server, as well. This is especially problematic for repping sharks that are taking heavy fire. I've been disconnected several times as a shark with this, and I must confess that it is starting to irk me (not to mention destroying the team base game in progress).
                          In conclusion:

So, because sharks do NOT have a control-key gun, and their bomb consumes so much energy, I put forth that judging a shark's "afk-ness" as a candidate for d/c by deaths based solely on shots fired, is not a fair or accurate metric for this ship. If attaches, reps, and mines are included, then the formulae would work as intended for sharks. That is my recommendation.
                          It's all well to say all of this...

For sharks, gun settings would be a slight fix...
                          but thats not how a shark in TW is, so id say your out of luck there.

But, the underlying issue is that there is no way to fix any bugs in this game.
                          One person has the code and no one else does... and he's far to busy coding new things like Skype
                          to pay attention to a game he played many years ago.
                          He pretty much just pays for the main servers now.

We're lucky that he released 0.40 after being hounded for it.

Until a new client is made to put it simply "your shit out of luck"

:fear:
                          PubBot8> Going to 69 :greedy:

Jacklyn> I'll play with this clit thing later
                          Dr.Coiff> i've played with it

3:Mirror <ZH>> fly around and boom blow everyone up

Comment

I just looked at some server.cfg file and i found this...

[Security]
                            S2CKickOutPercentWeapons=700
                            SuicideLimit=10
                            MaxShipTypeSwitchCount=40
                            PacketModificationMax=3
                            MaxDeathWithoutFiring=5

I think thats it right???
                            So...just put a higher number on it... 8 deaths maybe would solve the problem..It would be way harder to dc right?

Comment

I say just give the sharks level 3 bullets and call it a day whos with me??
                              ?find dads revenge

Comment

Working...
                              X