Logging into a zone in continuum crashing my entire system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logging into a zone in continuum crashing my entire system

Well, so out of the blue while in spec my computer froze and then bluscreened. When i tried to run windows normally (Vista home premium 64), my desktop was screwed up (background, icons displaced, it was all mess that I am unable to properly describe). I was unable to run any program such as mozilla or this game and it eventually after couple minutes bluescreened again. Hence I am in safe mode with networking. Continuum in safe mode does not crash my system.

After working some on safe mode, I restarted my system in the normal mode and everything seems ok.. until I decided to log into a zone again.

What I did so far was I installed avast home edition and ran a scan through continuum folder and some recent files I downloaded with torrents. That did not work though, so I also reinstalled continuum (different location) but it also produced the same problem.

Here are the details that I recieve when entering the safe mode (though this is black magic for me):

Code:
    Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:    BlueScreen
      OS Version:    6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
      Locale ID:    1045

Additional information about the problem:
      BCCode:    1a
      BCP1:    0000000000061940
      BCP2:    000007FEFE504000
      BCP3:    0000000000000000
      BCP4:    0000000000000000
      OS Version:    6_0_6001
      Service Pack:    1_0
      Product:    768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
      C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini010410-01.dmp
      C:\Users\Greg\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-117905-0.sysdata.xml
      C:\Users\Greg\AppData\Local\Temp\WERD029.tmp.version.txt
    It also says that some display driver (When in the 'messy' mode after bluescreen) has stopped working. Nvlddk-something (that's what I was albe to figure out!).

Does anybody have ANY idea what could cause the problem? What should i do now? Reinstall my system?

I will appreciate any sort of an advice,

vt

P.S. Sorry that this post is a mess, but it's not too convenient to write essays on this safe mode.
    2:blood> i think vt is a terrible player to be honest
    2:vt> what makes you think i am terrible
    2:blood> irrefutable empirical evidence

Originally posted by veetee View Post
    Nvlddk-something (that's what I was albe to figure out!).
    This is most likely a reference to NVidia drivers. Try updating them.

If this doesn't work, try googling for a solution; http://www.google.com/search?q=blue+screen+BCCode:+1a . I already found some useful information using that query.
    Maverick
    Retired SSCU Trench Wars Super Moderator
    Retired SSCU Trench Wars Bot Coordinator
    Retired Trench Wars Core Administrator
    Subspace Statistics Administrator
    Former Mervbot plugin developer

Comment

I ended up reinstalling the whole system, but I must look into this link and read about drivers so that this problem does not appear in the future. Sadly, the last time I reinstalled vista was a month ago..

Thanks maverick for the help.

Comment

If it happens again it could be a hard drive problem. If it's failing it could be finding bad sectors (where files used to be) thus creating errors. See sig.

Comment

Next time, if you really want to understand exactly which driver is causing the problem, simply read the mini-dump file (path shown in your screen shot).
          To read the mini-dump file, you will need to download and install the Microsoft Debug Tool at http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtoo...g/default.mspx

Comment

Driver's name is nvlddmkm. Solutions on the internets seem to indicate that I am having a problem with voltages and that i should alter them in bios, but that does not say much to me either, nor I would be stupid enough to risk it on my own. The problem still exists, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by veetee View Post
              Driver's name is nvlddmkm. Solutions on the internets seem to indicate that I am having a problem with voltages and that i should alter them in bios, but that does not say much to me either, nor I would be stupid enough to risk it on my own. The problem still exists, unfortunately.
              http://www.wambooli.com/blog/?p=513

My guess is that many of the other folks who are having problems with the nvlddmkm.sys driver might also have hardware issues, not software problems. Especially because the computer problem was so sudden, that’s almost an instant clue as to its hardware nature.
              If you have a spare/old video card lying around pop that in, update its drivers etc and see if you get any errors. If you don't, then I think you might need a new video card.

Comment

Working...
              X