Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some comments on the recently updated tile graphics in pub

greetings forum dorks. long time player first time poster here

thanks to the powers that be for all their hard work on this amazing game. Now, time for some complaining

1. The most recently updated tile graphics in pub are pretty.

Great. However, the "chain" tiles make it very difficult to make 1 pixel-of-space shots around corners. You're totally killing my game. Also they are very dark, so when the sun is shining, I can't see what's going on.

Anybody know how to edit these on my end? I could find a .bm2 file with these tiles in it so I'm guessing they're embedded in the lvl file. Am I correct?

2. Signing up for the forums is such a headache. Why do we need to go in-game to register? If you really care about growing the tw community I suggest you turn this silliness off post haste.

Originally posted by pukeskywalker View Post
    greetings forum dorks. long time player first time poster here

thanks to the powers that be for all their hard work on this amazing game. Now, time for some complaining

1. The most recently updated tile graphics in pub are pretty.

Great. However, the "chain" tiles make it very difficult to make 1 pixel-of-space shots around corners. You're totally killing my game. Also they are very dark, so when the sun is shining, I can't see what's going on.

Anybody know how to edit these on my end? I could find a .bm2 file with these tiles in it so I'm guessing they're embedded in the lvl file. Am I correct?

2. Signing up for the forums is such a headache. Why do we need to go in-game to register? If you really care about growing the tw community I suggest you turn this silliness off post haste.
    Apart from trying to get some shade for you screen from the sun there is not much you can do from your end. The tiles are inded part of the lvl file and would need to be edited by their maker, in this case me.

You are the second person to mention this to me so I'm considering chaining the color of the chains to correct this issue.

As for your around the corner shots, each tile is composed of a 16x16 pixel image, and although the graphic represented within this space may not fill out the 16x16 space completly the tile is indead SOLID for the full 16x16 space. I try to avoid using this thinner graphics around shooting holes and such, so let me know if you are having any additional issues apart from the darkness of the chains.

Everyone else, please use this post to comment on the new graphics, I specially want to know about any dificultiy or discomfort they may be causing to your gameplay so I can address the issues as soon as possible.

-leonardo91681

Comment

Chains color changed from black to gray, opinions?

Thanks for the tip Twerp, didn't know you could do that. But doing it every time you go into the zone sounds like a pain in the @$$.

I have re-done the chains a lighter color. Let me know what you guys think. I feel they lost some of their life sort of speaks.

Comment

I found the new chain to be too clean and non-fitting with the rest of the tiles so I rusted them up and this is what I came out with. I like em better then the clean ones and the fit a bit better with the other tiles.

Comment

Originally posted by leonardo91681 View Post
          As for your around the corner shots, each tile is composed of a 16x16 pixel image, and although the graphic represented within this space may not fill out the 16x16 space completly the tile is indead SOLID for the full 16x16 space. I try to avoid using this thinner graphics around shooting holes and such, so let me know if you are having any additional issues apart from the darkness of the chains.
          Good stuff, but I think you might have slightly missed the point. Or maybe I have?

The chains are rounded, meaning there's invisible wall at the corners. That's the problem: part of the wall is invisible (even if it's just a bit). Some people depend on seeing all of the wall so they can judge a shot which is pixel perfect. At the moment, with the chains they're having to guess. I've never been a fan of invisible bits on walls myself, they can be annoying to newbies (who may find it unexpected) and regular players (as described earlier).

The rest of the map seems cool, but for this minor point it's style over substance.

Comment

Before we had the bot, your registration had to be approved by an inactive Forum Administrator which weren't screened on a day-to-day basis (so you had to ?message a forum administrator anyway to get registrered). I've automated this proces by using ForumBot to 'accept' your registration. This is to prevent spammers from posting in this forum with advertisements or anything else non-subspace related. If you want to further comment on this, please create a new topic in the TW Staff forum.

It's a good idea to make this thread for making comments on the new leonardo91681's tilesets. I will change the title of this thread into something that suits this topic.
            Maverick
            Retired SSCU Trench Wars Super Moderator
            Retired SSCU Trench Wars Bot Coordinator
            Retired Trench Wars Core Administrator
            Subspace Statistics Administrator
            Former Mervbot plugin developer

Comment

i saw a preview of the tileset before it went live and the only problem i had with it then is the same problem i still have with it now. i, too, don't quite like the chain tiles. my biggest issue was that they were difficult to see, so i really like the updated, rusted look. i haven't actually played on the map a ton yet, so i'm not sure about the rounded corner issue.

overall though, great job dude!
              jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nockm View Post
                Good stuff, but I think you might have slightly missed the point. Or maybe I have?

The chains are rounded, meaning there's invisible wall at the corners. That's the problem: part of the wall is invisible (even if it's just a bit). Some people depend on seeing all of the wall so they can judge a shot which is pixel perfect. At the moment, with the chains they're having to guess. I've never been a fan of invisible bits on walls myself, they can be annoying to newbies (who may find it unexpected) and regular players (as described earlier).

The rest of the map seems cool, but for this minor point it's style over substance.
                I made a slight tweak to the chains and changed the color since the plain gray wasnt working for me. I added some spikes around the corners of the rounded chains and took the spikes to the very limit of the 16x16 space.

This should resolve the issue so that bullets dont hit an invisible corner. What you guys think about this one:

Comment

I don't know who you are but good job none the less.
                  Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Thank you, kthx

Comment

don't wanna rain in on anyones parade, but i think these new tilesets are garish, and tbh a change that isnt/wasnt needed.

the chains are something I dont like, they aren't all that clear IMO, and would much prefer something completely solid over open and rounded.

I.e. much prefered the original tileset.
                      Displaced> I get pussy every day
                      Displaced> I'm rich
                      Displaced> I drive a ferrari lol
                      Displaced> ur a faggot with no money
                      Thors> prolly
                      Thors> but the pussy is HAIRY!

best comeback ever

Comment

Originally posted by leonardo91681 View Post
                        I made a slight tweak to the chains and changed the color since the plain gray wasnt working for me. I added some spikes around the corners of the rounded chains and took the spikes to the very limit of the 16x16 space.

This should resolve the issue so that bullets dont hit an invisible corner. What you guys think about this one:

leonardo, thanks for the reply. I honestly wasn't expecting such a helpful response from anybody, let alone the creator of the map

Honestly, I liked the original tile graphics the most, out of what you've posted. The new ones seem to lose some of the texture that made the originals so pretty

My thoughts: keep the chain graphics as they were, but use them sparingly, in long stretches of straight wall, where they will not get in the way of someone's aim.

My compliments on the intricacies of the chain graphics... it's really interesting to see how you integrated the links in corners and such
                        Last edited by pukeskywalker; 02-28-2010, 04:04 PM.

Comment

leonardo, thanks for the reply. I honestly wasn't expecting such a helpful response from anybody, let alone the creator of the map
                          Thanks for the compliments, but I'm just the new tile maker, the map is still the original design and credit should go to it's creator.

I've taken your most recent suggestion into consideration and re-tiled the areas where players might shoot through or around with solid tiles and kept the original chain graphic on the rest of the walls, this is what it would look like:

You like this better then the implementation of the new tiles?

-leo

Comment

if you hear every opinion ur gonna get crazy...till you say...

"fuck it"
                            Mega Newbie
                            TWLD Season MVP - 3 times
                            TWLD Captain/wb player Champion - Stray
                            TWEL wb and spid Champion!
                            TWLD final's chocker - 3 times
                            TWLJ bencher Champion
                            TWLB bencher Champion
                            Inactive Player

Comment

The latest version is much better.

Comment