Some comments on the recently updated tile graphics in pub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leonardo91681 really likes his chains.

Nice constructive thread. I think I too prefer the original over the current edits. Chains look a bit S+M to me... but hey that's just my opinion xD. It's nice to try things out, so it's all good.

Comment

The red tiles have poor seamlessness (repeatability)
      The chains don't make sense and mess my skills up.
      Leo you're my all-time favorite tile maker but honestly we need more consistency. TW pub map has been the exact same for so many years (besides the retarded red glow and color loss that got added about 1 or 1.5 years ago) and people really like it.. You had the right idea with textured tiles, red/grey tiles (like original) and a bit a creativity (like we need) but the tiles are a bit too grungy, and the chains are not consistent with the rest of tiles or the past tiles at all. they can and should be kept, but only for small portions of the map. If you want the base to look 'beat up, war-torn' then follow 2dragons example with ?go base (although you can do far better) talk to me one-on-one if you'd like more input from me

and no disrespect, you're the man leo
      remove res cap, im tryin to pwn

Comment

Thx for the input Aqu. I'll see what I can do to improve upon the red tiles and reduce my chain use within the base even more.

-leo

Comment

IMO put the chains where people don't shoot out from, like where the red tiles are for the flag. that way people don't get so confused and stuff. also adds a bit of unrealistic "zomfg im pigpiling towards a flag surrounded by giant barbed wire in outerspace in my space ship"

Comment

i just personally feel that this is too much effort for too little effect

thanks to leonardo91681 for devoting his time to this but is a new tileset really what we need ?

i dont get why there are some chains and some walls and it seems a bit of a mismatch to me, the chains are well done but more aesthetic than practical and also those holes will confuse new players for the sake of looking a bit cooler :P

all in all the way i see it this is a pretty out dated retro game, sprucing up the graphics can be a bit of fun from time to time but there isn't alot of reward for the effort needed to be put in and when you confuse people even slightly then it's a step in the wrong direction

but cheers for your enthusiasm leonardo
            In my world,
            I am King

sigpic

Comment

i dont like the chain graphics no matter what colour they are...they make it harder to aim through gaps
              TWL-J Season 11 Champion
              TWL-J Season 21 Champion
              TWL-B Season 21 Champion
              TWL-B Season 22 Finalist
              TWDT-D 2017 Champion
              TWDT-J 2017 Champion

Comment

I am enjoying the change of scenery but I don't like 'fake' holes or 'fake' space in some of the tiles. Perhaps it could be filled with some sort of energy field where solid matter would look silly or boring?

A less monotonous tileset is good (as long as it doesn't impact performance on my obsolescent computers) but the days will brighten as summer approaches and it is more important to see the walls clearly. Solid, high-contrast walls seem best for this (although hollow shapes augmented with some sort of energy field might work).

Comment

you guys should stop complaining... it looks way better than the old tileset... anyone that wants to make this game prettier is fine with me...

he has done everything he can to make things work for you people... and now you just keep bitching that you don't like the chains period... get over it
                  RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
                  RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

Originally posted by Aquarius View Post
                    The red tiles have poor seamlessness (repeatability)
                    The chains don't make sense and mess my skills up.
                    Leo you're my all-time favorite tile maker but honestly we need more consistency. TW pub map has been the exact same for so many years (besides the retarded red glow and color loss that got added about 1 or 1.5 years ago) and people really like it.. You had the right idea with textured tiles, red/grey tiles (like original) and a bit a creativity (like we need) but the tiles are a bit too grungy, and the chains are not consistent with the rest of tiles or the past tiles at all. they can and should be kept, but only for small portions of the map. If you want the base to look 'beat up, war-torn' then follow 2dragons example with ?go base (although you can do far better) talk to me one-on-one if you'd like more input from me

and no disrespect, you're the man leo
                    Ok, Aqu, I re-did the red tiles and I think they look alot smoother now with better seams.

Originally posted by Xog View Post
                    IMO put the chains where people don't shoot out from, like where the red tiles are for the flag. that way people don't get so confused and stuff. also adds a bit of unrealistic "zomfg im pigpiling towards a flag surrounded by giant barbed wire in outerspace in my space ship"
                    Took your suggestion and made the flag platform base with chains.

Originally posted by Pressure Drop View Post
                    i just personally feel that this is too much effort for too little effect

thanks to leonardo91681 for devoting his time to this but is a new tileset really what we need ?

i dont get why there are some chains and some walls and it seems a bit of a mismatch to me, the chains are well done but more aesthetic than practical and also those holes will confuse new players for the sake of looking a bit cooler :P

all in all the way i see it this is a pretty out dated retro game, sprucing up the graphics can be a bit of fun from time to time but there isn't alot of reward for the effort needed to be put in and when you confuse people even slightly then it's a step in the wrong direction

but cheers for your enthusiasm leonardo
                    Originally posted by Viruk View Post
                    I am enjoying the change of scenery but I don't like 'fake' holes or 'fake' space in some of the tiles. Perhaps it could be filled with some sort of energy field where solid matter would look silly or boring?

A less monotonous tileset is good (as long as it doesn't impact performance on my obsolescent computers) but the days will brighten as summer approaches and it is more important to see the walls clearly. Solid, high-contrast walls seem best for this (although hollow shapes augmented with some sort of energy field might work).
                    I eliminated the tiles that gave the impression of fake holes and replaced them with tiles that look like they have been gunned/bombed down, they are less confusing for the new players but keep the war beaten feel of the previous ones.

Originally posted by Ricko View Post
                    i dont like the chain graphics no matter what colour they are...they make it harder to aim through gaps
                    I reduced the use of chain tiles considerably and I avoided using them on all shooting holes, this should make your expirence while shooting through those holes a lot easier.

I thank you all for your comments/suggestions/feedback, I always will try to make the most out of what reactions I get from you guys. A new tileset should never be a step in the wrong direction so I'm doing my best to fix whatever has given you guys a hard time but at the same time have something fresh/new to look at.

Hope the new changes are to everyones likings.

-leo

Comment

gj leo, I like your updates
                      Dice
                      TWLB Champions Season 8
                      TWLJ Champions Season 8
                      TWLB Champions Season 10
                      TWLB Champions Season 11

Comment

If you keep changing stuff to make people happy your permanent job is going to be fixing pub tilesets. It looks really good as it is, just make a few colors of the map tileset so we can change the map in a cycle once a week so we get some new colors in there occasionally.
                        Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

These are the types of people you need to get on staff. He has remained objective without taking offense to criticism. Regardless of what I think of the new tileset, this leo guy has done more in the past week than 90% of staff has done since 2000....he actually gave a shit. Don't know where you came from Leo, or when you started, but I'm glad you did, and I hope you are commended for your contributions. Nice work.

Comment

This tileset really needs some lvz to go with it, I could help you out on those if you need any. Also imo you should use less of the chain tiles, they don't fit that well when used in huge lengths. Just bit here and there like you did on the new fr. Looks actually quite hot.
                            Also if you need any help tiling, editing the tiles or the lvz just contact me here and I will come online for you. Really nice to see someone finally having a bit a passion on recreating this stuff.

Edit: also do you have that new tileset up anywhere? Would like to smooth out those chains and tryout few details myself if you would like that.
                            2:Galaxy Turbo> Jab?
                            2:TWDevChat2> JabJabJab> what...
                            2:Galaxy Turbo> Who would be your dream woman?
                            2:Unliked <ER>> i bet kim
                            2:Galaxy Turbo> Lol...
                            2:TWDevChat2> JabJabJab> afk
                            --
                            1:TWDevChat2> JabJabJab> <-- Life
                            1:TWDevChat2> JabJabJab> GG

Comment

The ears and other circle spots are so dark it looks like there isnt a wall there. Like the rocks in elim where some players cant seem them. Rather have it back the old way
                              LF> Winners of killothon are obviously best players in the zone

100+ Killothon victories

$25 Easter event winner

Real winner (stargazer ruined) $!00 step-elim

Runner up levi elim to 500 marathon

Comment

This seems to be nothing more than a case of "Change for the sake of change"

Although it is definitely a good effort at updating it whilst keeping the original layout fairly intact, for me it is quite a bit more difficult to see many components of the map. Particularly so on the crt monitor i use.
                                And yet i too have already on many occasions noticed the "invisible wall" syndrome being more obvious to the eye.

The original map was about as good and easy to distinguish as it could possibly get. So sorry to say.... please can we have the old map gfx back.
                                Which very much reminds me of the old adage.... "If it aint broke, don't fix it!"
                                Last edited by i'm nobody; 03-06-2010, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X