Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trench Wars Public Division (A laughing matter?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was just in disbelief, I guess begging mootland is the way to go though lol.
    Last edited by de Sade; 03-22-2010, 10:59 PM.
    sepetaiya> if your bored on continuum your very unsmart

(Ominous Blue Dot)> Toes are most precious, yes.

Violence> do u eefin no how 2 read?

Comment

???

Comment

Who is going to implement these changes?

Who is going to run and maintain the division?

Who is even going to WANT to play pub?

Making a division out of a broken arena sounds like a formula for a broken division to me. Pub needs to be fun again before a division is formed out of it. I'm not even going to bother listing all the simple things that would make pub more fun that we've all discussed for years now. We all know the basic ideas.

By too little, too late I meant that this isn't a big enough change to make pub fun. The too late part should be obvious. How many active users are there on this forum now? How about in the game? Now how many of those people play pub? lol
        (ZaBuZa)>sigh.. i been playing this game since i was 8... i am more mature then ull ever be...

Comment

Originally posted by Kontrolz View Post
          Who is going to implement these changes?
          There's still people that work on TWCore, and still people that will work on TWCore given an incentive. There's plenty of people that have contributed to the development of the TWCore and its modules, and the lot of them don't even play in trench wars for the most part.
          Who is going to run and maintain the division?
          The bots and the Ops, the same way the regular TWD is maintained - why should it be different?
          Who is even going to WANT to play pub?
          I have several squadmates that play pub. No, they are not noobs. No, they are not new to the game. No, they do not suck. They just enjoy playing in the public arena. If you take some time to sit in a pub and watch what's going on, listen to the chats they have - there's plenty of people who enjoy playing in the public arena. In fact, most of them prefer playing in there than in any other arena. You can go ask them yourself if you really don't believe me.

Making a division out of a broken arena sounds like a formula for a broken division to me. Pub needs to be fun again before a division is formed out of it. I'm not even going to bother listing all the simple things that would make pub more fun that we've all discussed for years now. We all know the basic ideas.
          The arena is not broken in the slightest. There are improvements and changes that can be made, suggestions are always welcome to those in charge (say hi to Mootland Farmer, incase you didn't know). Pubs are fun to those who enjoy public arenas. Many pubbers dislike the elim arena, or baseelim, because it's not what they're looking for, yet you don't see them wanting to change elim to suit their needs. They enjoy the public arena environment. You may not enjoy it, and some others might not, and you guys usually have the larger voices in the community so you try and voice them - creating changes that some people might not like or enjoy.

By too little, too late I meant that this isn't a big enough change to make pub fun. The too late part should be obvious. How many active users are there on this forum now? How about in the game? Now how many of those people play pub? lol
          These forums aren't all that active anymore and I won't refute that argument, however there's hundreds of players that play this game every day, if not 1,000 unique users. Sure they're not online at the same time, but throughout the course of a day I would not be surprised if over 1,000 unique players sign on to this zone. So there is a large playerbase. We just can't keep their attention.

I personally think it would make public arenas more fun for those that play public arenas. You're probably looking at it from the angle of a non-pub player. You may want the public arena in a specific way for you to have fun when you're not the majority pub-user.

My original post, if you read the whole thing, specifically stated that this probably wasn't going to go through for a few reasons, and I understood that, and I know there was going to be several arguments on it - but I just wanted some people to start looking at the situation and give solutions from the pub-user's eyes. They need a way to use the public arenas so they can start branching off and participating in TWD. Currently the way a new player or pubber would start playing in the TWD is:

a) Play pub, learn the ships, how the game works
          b) Continue pubbing to get more skill
          c) Participate in some hosted events - realize there's more than a public arena
          d) Play elim
          e) Get much better by playing elim
          f) Finally get invited to a squad that TWDs
          g) Lose 15 matches in a row, wonder why squad was dissolved
          h) Go back to elim, repeat d-f until you find a good squad that doesn't dissolve

Using the TWPD, you skip the whole freakin thing, observe:
          a) Play pub
          b) Get invited to TWPD squad
          c) Branch off into the other Trench Wars Divisions

Comment

I'd also like to know why staffers don't post on the forums. Shouldn't they be encouraged to post on here? Wouldn't that bring more people here, to listen to what they have to say? Wouldn't that bring more discussion for suggestions because we'd be looking for feedback from them? Unless I'm mistaken, I haven't seen a staffer make a post in a while (in this forum section). I have seen Mootland Farmer sign on and view threads once in a blue, but he doesn't really post much. It would be nice to hear your opinions on things Moot, that way we can discuss things together instead of having us launch ideas at you, unaware if they've missed you or if you've dismissed them. I'd like to hear some ideas the staff has come up with, what they're considering, what their criticisms are, and what their arguments are for not doing certain things. There is no more staff-community relationship. It's pretty simple to bring something like this back, too.

Comment

All I've done is pub and talk about how to make pub better for years. Pub is broken.

We know pub is broken and has been broken for a long time now. That is why private arena basing and pure basing weekends happened years ago. That is why twdb and ?go base were created.

Instead of focusing on making pub more fun people created other arenas to BASE in. Yes the OBJECT OF PUB IS TO GET POINTS THAT DO NOTHING. Fix it by making the points relevant somehow, many ideas have been suggested over the years. TWPD will do the same thing these other "fixes" did for publics... nothing because the attention isn't focused on the public arenas themselves.

Also, where are you getting hundreds of people from even a thousand?! Don't count the bots. Don't count the afkers and the private arena people who don't even play anymore.
              (ZaBuZa)>sigh.. i been playing this game since i was 8... i am more mature then ull ever be...

Comment

You keep saying it's broken, would you mind breaking it down for me? What are some reasons why it's broken?

http://twd.trenchwars.org/arobas/twuser_activity.gif

Comment

You know the answer to this is simple guys and I have said it before. The answer to the problems isn't new pub maps even though the new one is better and the guy who created it did a good job, the answer to the problem isn't adding thors or any other crap.

The key to pubs is for staff to get off their lazy asses and host basing events in public arenas, have special ER's that you trust ALOT and give them powers to host events in public arenas, obviously you can't bring bots in there so you will have to change the pubbot to accept commands from ER's with powers in public arenas or better yet have ER's that can host manually hosting the events in public arenas. Zoner the event thats about to happen, like a setup basing match with spiders, javs, sharks, and a terr. Have good players be the special ships at first, or keep an eye on people who do things in public before you host it and see whos trying to shark, or trying to terr and let them do it. This will get good older players from base to come and play in a public arena, which in turn will give newbies a chance to see how good people base which in turn will train a new generation of pubbers how to base. The key is staff doing something to help, the key isn't more bots, or any extra crap that you guys keep playing, its straight player on player and staff to player interaction that will make pub a good place to learn how to play trench wars once again.
                  Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Wark has a good idea but I still think that having the points MEAN something is a big part.

Xog, we know it's broken because we have the need for bots to remove an entire ship from being able to be used. To limit the amount of frequencies. And to ASK players to switch to a ship that will help WIN the game.

If pub wasn't broken then players would WANT to do things that benefit the object of the game, not hurt it. Again, making points mean something would be a HUGE incentive. People would want to win if the round win bonus was points and with those points they could buy things. An example of this would be LT's wanting to team and actually switch to basing ships if they wanted points to buy prox.

If there is an incentive to actually completing the objective of the game then people will WANT to complete the objective. There wouldn't be a need for all these restrictions which are dividing the public arena population.

Comment

Working...
                    X