Pub needs kill streaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pub needs kill streaks

I was in pub today for a while just talking, because there was nothing else going on in TW. I was sitting in spec, because really... pub is pretty boring for anyone with skill that doesn't base. I remember pub when I was a newbie way back before TWD, and all the wbs would duel at lower safe or something, and just kill people. It was fun... but I think nowadays... I would never really pub.

I was thinking though... if public had kill streaks... like set it to 100 or something... that would be fun. I would play just to see how high of a streak I could get before all of pub tries to kill me. The only other way to do that is to macro your bounty and watch people chase you for it. That's really kind of lame though...

So... what do you guys think? Kill streak in public? I think a lot of vets would start playing pub more if there was one. People would try to get to 100... or whatever the max kill streak went to. I know there are people that could do it too.

Allow 4 discussion 2 commence
    RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
    RaCka> mad impressive

I like the idea, but I think it would detract from the basing :/ High bounty always attracts people anyway; maybe some people don't want their streak to be announced?

Having the bot add something extra seems good though, but I'm not sure what that would be.

Comment

There could always be some mini-games in public arenas, such as having a "rabbit" that people have to kill (first to kill) to earn a prize that they can use (like, x10 decoys as a prize. pm bot with !decoy to get it) whenever they want.

idk. poorly worded too^

streaks are an okay idea too, i guess.

Comment

I think we should take more advantage of in-game mechanics that aren't really notable. Bounty is a useful thing that nobody really pays any attention to. If you think about it, you barely really look at your bounty any more unless you're intentionally trying to get it higher. Other people don't even care about it. But if there was a reward for killing someone with a high bounty, that would be fun.

I believe kill streaks in pub would kinda draw the attention away from the basing aspect. If you allow streaks, a lot of people will just fly around trying to streak as high as they can instead of base. Although you did mention 100 kill streak which a lot of people know they wouldn't be able to achieve, so that might work. But then again, 100 kill streak is really only achievable by the vets. So there's no other reason for having a 100 kill streak other than for them.

If the bot can detect your bounty, which I'm sure it can (Chaos zone does this), then there can potentially be a new aspect to trench wars. In other space games, bounties are accumulated through killing (just like this one) but there's no real reward for it in subspace.. oh, you kill them, you get some points.. who really cares about the points accumulated through killing someone with bounty, it's so small compared to holding the flag?

It would be cool if some other reward was given for having / killing someone with a high bounty. Perhaps an arena message

Exalt has a pilot bounty of <BOUNTY> in <SHIP>! Kill him for <POINTS>!

There's a couple things that come to mind here.

Perhaps there could be a much larger reward for killing someone with high bounty. The bot can add these points to the player (it is very easy).
        -Bot reads your current points value, stores it
        -Bot adds certain amount of points to original value
        -Bot sets your points to the new value.

So say you have a 100 bounty right? If I kill you, I can gain the amount of bounty you have in points, times three hundred.
        So I just gained 30,000 points for killing you.
        My original points value was 500,000. After I kill you, I now have 530,000 (plus whatever the amount was for the in-game bounty-kill calculation.. i think it's somewhere around 150 pts lol)

The multiplier could be set to a higher value of course. I'm not sure what the current in-game point accumulation is for killing someone, but this is just a guess to a more practical value.

As for the reward for obtaining this bounty.. Hmm. That's a tough one.

I'm just winging it here, but I'm thinking along the lines of some sort of new feature that displays a list of the top 10 bounty collectors of the day, and even perhaps a list of top 10 bounty hunters. Could be as simple as a !top10 collectors or !top10 hunters, or it could be displayed on a webpage. I think the in-game would be more fun, because not everyone's going to look at the website.

The top 10 collectors would be a list of the players who accumulated the most bounty within the current date throughout the day (not just one "zomg i reached 500 bty in warbird gonna spec now cuz im afraid 2 die and lose my status" but "ok 50 bounty here, 150 bounty there, 100 bounty there" and have it accumulate for the day)

The top 10 hunters would be the total amount of bounty from players that you've killed. This could account for the people who base as well as the people who kill bounty collectors.
        Example: (I think terrier bounty shouldn't be included in these equations)
        Joe Shmoe is in the flagroom, he killed:
        Jock Sock (10)
        Small Intestines (33)
        LOLname (53)

There are some baselines here. In order to prevent people from abusing the system, I think it would be ideal to have a minimum accountable bounty of say, 30 in order for it to count towards your "bounty hunted / collected"

So, the amount of bounty that was actually hunted just now by Joe Shmoe, is only 53 + 33 = 86, because the 10 from Jock Sock is not above 30.

Honestly I typed more than I thought I would on part 1 and forgot what part 2 was about.. damnit. I'll come back when I remember :\

edit:
        http://www.jossh.com/news/stats/bounty.html

http://www.jossh.com/news/stats/bounty_kill.html
        Last edited by Xog; 05-28-2010, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Turban View Post
          There could always be some mini-games in public arenas, such as having a "rabbit" that people have to kill (first to kill) to earn a prize that they can use (like, x10 decoys as a prize. pm bot with !decoy to get it) whenever they want.

idk. poorly worded too^

streaks are an okay idea too, i guess.
          sounds like a ripoff of EG.

Still need to prize prox in the fuckaround pub
          8:Lrim> you guys take this game too seriously

Comment

Originally posted by raizin View Post
            sounds like a ripoff of EG.

Still need to prize prox in the fuckaround pub

EG pubs aren't boring though.
            GOD DAMMIT NAPPA

Comment

I like where Exalt is going with this.

I don't now how much it would end up spamming the channel though. I'm in pub a lot, and I hardly see people above 60 bounty. So, if the streak was set to about 10 before it started announcing people, that might resolve the issue.

Xog has some good ideas too.

Terrs are always annoyingly suicidal. If their names were announced once they had a certain bounty, that might give terrs an incentive to stay alive longer.

Also, terrs that are at the fr coords can get a bounty bonus, or something fun like a decoy. And anyone that kills a terr in fr can be announced and also be given a bounty reward.

Promote sharking too. The shark with the most reps gets a bonus bounty and name announcement, regardless of which team won the round.

Comment

Working...
              X