Complex computer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complex computer question

Ok so I did some research online and found a good computer deal for my girlfriend. It's a refurbished PC and it was supposed to have windows vista home on it when it arrived. Well it did have windows vista home but it didn't work, it barely got past the BIOS screen and I tried just about everything to get the thing to work with no luck. They didn't give any CD's with Vista files on it to reinstall the OS or fix it or anything like that. So right now I'm installing ubuntu and I decided to not overwrite the Vista in hopes that there's some way to access the other Partition while in Ubuntu. Anyways, my question is, once I get Ubuntu installed on one partition, will I be able to access the files on the Vista partition? If so, do you know of any program that could look through the files and see why it won't launch?
    1:Best> lol why is everyone mad that roiwerk got a big dick stickin out his underwear, it's really attractive :P
    3:Best> lol someone is going to sig that
    3:Best> see it coming
    3:Best> sad

paging d1st0rt, come in d1st0rt.

just doing this on the chance he searches for his name periodically. Best of luck reaver, wish I could help
    JAMAL> didn't think there was a worse shark than midoent but the_paul takes it

turban> claus is the type of person that would eat shit just so you would have to smell his breath

Originally posted by Ilya;n1135707
    the_paul: the worst guy, needs to go back to school, bad at his job, guido

Comment

The real question here is if you even know what Ubuntu is why would you buy a computer that was running Vista and why would you be surprised when it didn't work.
      Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Yes you can browse your vista partition from in Ubuntu and it's very simple and shouldn't need explanation. Once you're on the desktop and looking at the menus you'll see it.

As for programs that look for those problems, no. You can however browse through the WINDOWS folder once you're in ubuntu to see if things are whacked.

If you describe some of the issues you've experienced upon booting to Vista I might be able to help you though.

Also, you don't need to install ubuntu, you can run it straight from the CD at bootup.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaver View Post
          Ok so I did some research online and found a good computer deal for my girlfriend. It's a refurbished PC and it was supposed to have windows vista home on it when it arrived. Well it did have windows vista home but it didn't work, it barely got past the BIOS screen and I tried just about everything to get the thing to work with no luck. They didn't give any CD's with Vista files on it to reinstall the OS or fix it or anything like that. So right now I'm installing ubuntu and I decided to not overwrite the Vista in hopes that there's some way to access the other Partition while in Ubuntu. Anyways, my question is, once I get Ubuntu installed on one partition, will I be able to access the files on the Vista partition? If so, do you know of any program that could look through the files and see why it won't launch?
          It sounds to me that the previous owner used a pirate copy of windows vista and installed the window updates and Microsoft detected that it was a pirate copy and would of gave a 2 week warning to the previous owner to buy a genuine copy. But he failed to do so and now he could no longer boot up to his desktop and thought he'd sell it on eBay or whatever. And you saw the pc and was like "shit man, that's good for the price."
          Btw I failed to fix the solution and the tower is in the corner of the room, gathering up dust.
          If it is the same problem and you do manage to fix the problem, please let me know
          Best warbird to ever enter trenchwars

Comment

@kthx: My computer has vista on it and it runs fine. I don't know much about Ubuntu other than it's based off Linux. As far as I know Linux has many forms, Ubuntu is just one option, mostly aesthetic based, to get the free O/S.

@Vys: I don't think that's the problem, it was actually purchased on amazon.com by a company that regularly sells refurbished PC's. It could be the problem but I don't think so...it has the Windows Vista Sticker on the Tower with the product key, etc.

I found a windows vista repair iso and tried to repair it but it didn't work so I'm basically giving up on the vista idea for now. She needs to be able to run windows programs on linux, what's the best route? Wine or Qemu or something else? Something that's really really easy...
            1:Best> lol why is everyone mad that roiwerk got a big dick stickin out his underwear, it's really attractive :P
            3:Best> lol someone is going to sig that
            3:Best> see it coming
            3:Best> sad

Comment

Why would you install Linux?
              Are you good at downoading stuff? Download windows 7 + crack and install that. Its just like Vista only faster.

Comment

Ubuntu is a great OS. Even if you don't have any linux experience, there's thousands of tutorials and workthroughs on ubuntuforums.org. And if you have a specific problem, 99% of the time there's someone else that had that problem and there's a fix for it. It's very accessible to a lot of things with some configuration. It just takes a few days to set everything up correctly, and there's always linux-based programs that do everything a windows program does, and it's free! Not to mention, SO SO EASY to find. There's literally a drop-down menu option to finding software, and it installs it right from there if you want it to. Just find the program, and click Install. It's all trusted sources from the ubuntu repository. You just can't do everything the same way you did it in Windows. There's just different processes you must do before hand. Wine is a must. Install it. After that, you can install windows-based programs and run them in ubuntu.

You can stick with ubuntu if you'd like, or you can just reinstall windows. I'd go with Win7 if you're more comfortable with it.

Comment

Just download a cracked version of Windows 7 and run with that....

Comment

i think your vista problem is just messed up and i don't think you'll be able to get it to work - you might want to contact the company you purchased it from.

when you install ubuntu in a separate partition, i think there's a good chance you won't be able to access vista files because they are formatted differently (FAT32 vs NTSF). I ran into a similar problem earlier when my windows XP got a virus and I tried to install Ubuntu and save my files on XP, but it didn't let me. the only way i could have a shared access if by formatting the entire hard drive and re-partitioning into (1) a ubuntu partition (2) a windows OS partition and (3) a shared partition.

but there are definitely some simple programs that let you run windows apps on ubuntu - you just have to know how to use the terminal a bit.
                    Riverside> engi next time you talk like an idiot
                    7:Riverside> need 2 jack off asap wut website i use?
                    7:Riverside> sigh y u talking about cumming :/

7:Jones> dude have you ever read anything about chia seeds
                    7:Jones> hemp seeds have like 4Og protein per 1OOg
                    7:Jones> 35g protein 47g fat
                    7:Jones> or putting hemp/chia seeds in a glass of water
                    (Cres)> its like they have no other food

Comment

There is so many way to backup your files. You can put your hard drive on another computer, or just use a LiveCD (no need to install anything) of any linux distribution to access your files. Then, you can share your hard disk and grab your files from the network. After that, format everything and install a fresh version of Windows XP/Vista/7 from the Internet.
                      TW Bot Developer
                      TW Web Developer
                      Friends> All I saw was arobas+
                      Friends> It's like death

Comment

Originally posted by Reaver View Post

I found a windows vista repair iso and tried to repair it but it didn't work so I'm basically giving up on the vista idea for now. She needs to be able to run windows programs on linux, what's the best route? Wine or Qemu or something else? Something that's really really easy...
                        call microsoft, if you have a product key and everything, they will completely hook you up.

edit: what creat said, cracked versions of windows 7 won't be solid tho. dl xp sp3, and do not forget to have the driver packs with it, else youll get fucked like I did and have to find all that shit yourself.
                        Last edited by paradise!; 07-26-2010, 09:18 PM.
                        4:BigKing> xD
                        4:Best> i'm leaving chat
                        4:BigKing> what did i do???
                        4:Best> told you repeatedly you cannot use that emoji anymore
                        4:BigKing> ???? why though
                        4:Best> you're 6'4 and black...you can't use emojis like that
                        4:BigKing> xD

Comment

Just overwrite the Vista OS on the HD. You must know someone with a copy of Vista you could load on the HD? I have my copy of Vista Business on 3 systems all working fine and never had a prob. My kid has Windows 7 and has non stop trouble unfortunately using his wireless network connections...personally I think his prob is the HP laptop he is running and not the OS at this point.

What are you trying to save on the HD at this point if you just got the system as well? Just overwrite the OS with your copy of Vista...or buy a new copy of 7 or put XP on it
                          May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

Comment

Working...
                          X