This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWDT2010 Playoff Round 1 HOT or NOT

Well the playoffs started this week and I thought a recap might be needed, especially for Top5Squad’s basers (*cough zhou, renzi, dead_rain, oder cough*). The format of the day was matches of dueling, javelin, and base pitting Top5Squad vs. Ruby and Underground vs. Blood Choke.

TWDT-D

Both TWDT-D games this week went to 3 games, making good use of Humid’s decision (after consensus feedback from the community) to switch to the best of 3 format (although the winner of game one won both games…but I digress). The games also were radically different in pace and style. Top5Squad vs. Ruby was a quick action-packed game featuring no super close games (but no blowouts either) and a lot of pressure from both sides. Underground vs. Blood Choke, on the other hand, was made up of 3 long, fairly tight games (especially the first 2) featuring a lot of lead changes and even a sudden death overtime duel in game 2. In fact, Top5Squad and Ruby finished 3 rounds before Underground and Blood Choke had finished 2. Apparently they are the Red Sox vs. Yankees.

HOT

In the Underground vs. Blood Choke game, there were two main stars in the first 2 games and one in the last one. Burg and Ease dueled for MVP honors in the first two games, with the team of the one who earned it actually losing both rounds. Ease (18-10, 15-9, 9-10) also knocked out Burg (17-9, 16-10, 7-10) in the aforementioned 2nd round sudden death overtime, but Burg knocked him out in round 1. As I was watching, I could not help but think that Burg = Rocky and Ease = Apollo Creed, with the round that they won the MVP in being the movie they won the fight in. And we can all agree that Yakuza (15-7) was Ivan Drago in the 3rd round/4th movie (the part where he kills Apollo Creed SPOILERS). I’m having fun with this so I’ll continue and say that Vt (14-9, 9-10, 10-6) is either Mickey, Rocky’s trainer and biggest helper, or Adrian, the only character in the movies with a vagina. Lastly, we’re scraping the barrel here but I guess Quartz (10-10, 14-10, 11-10) has to be George Jergens, Apollo Creed’s boxing promoter.

Mythril (13-8, 12-10, 12-8) was the only player for Top5Squad or Ruby to attain over 10 kills in all 3 rounds in their match. He didn’t put up as many kills as Ease or Burg, but he was perhaps more essential to his team’s overall victory than Burg. Jamal (11-10, 9-8, 14-9) of Ruby was also positive in all 3 games, even though his squad lost 2 of the rounds. Sir Spider (15-10, 9-10, 9-8), in his first appearance in WB of the season for Top5Squad, keyed a run that turned a 7 kill deficit into a 4 kill lead and eventual victory in the first and closest of the rounds (50-44). In the 2nd game, Ruby led pretty much the whole way thanks to strong starts from Peru (6-3, 13-9 finish) and Jamal (7-3). However, Scoop delivered the final push necessary and grabbed the MVP (7-5 to 15-8). Vys started hot (4-1, 10-5 finish), and Riverside (14-10), along with good team pressure, was the key in the last round for Top5Squad’s victory.

NOT

Unfortunately, some players did not perform as well (like Rocky 5). Obi (5-10, 5-10) only played 2 games, but he continued his mostly season-long struggle. His replacement in the last game, chuckle (2-10), fared even worse and was a big reason why the team ultimately lost. I’d call him Chokle, but he had just showed up and was probably not warmed; it may have been a bad decision to put him in. Humid (6-10, 3-10), also did not fare well in the first 2 rounds for Underground. Blood Choke was not immune to the first 2 round bug either as Misled (5-10, 9-10) also went negative for the first two. The curious case of this phenomenon is Yakuza (4-10, 6-10). He did poorly in the first 2 rounds like the others I’ve mentioned, but Thrill stayed with Yakuza, and I’ve already discussed what a good move that turned out to be.

My search for patterns contained in the box scores to make the numbers more relatable was much harder for the games featuring Top5Squad and Ruby. Since only Mythril and Jamal were reliably going positive (and not to the degree of Burg or Ease), there were plenty of kills to go around. In fact, the worst round submitted by Top5Squad at all was a combination effort of Rasaq (1-5) and Money (5-5) at 6-10, with almost all of the blame falling on Rasaq. To put that in perspective though, there were 6 records in the other matchup worse…2 per game. And even Ruby, who lost two out of the three games…only had 1 round worse than that. And that was Peru (5-10) in a poor 3rd round… but he was +4 in the previous 2 rounds, so he was just about even for the match. If I am going to stretch for NOTs, I can share the one pattern I did find when analyzing the box score: Ruby’s players repeated their worst number of kills over 2 rounds. Seismic (7-10, 7-7, 7-10) and High Templar (8-10, 6-10, 6-10) played the worst for Ruby (in fact High Templar was the only player to go negative in all 3 rounds), but they were not alone in repeating. Scoop (8-10, 8-10) also sandwiched his 2nd round MVP round with two negative rounds of the same number of kills.

Rocky: Burg (17-9, 16-10, 7-10)- His team is moving on as an underdog and he dominated two straight games giving his squad time to get it together in the third.
    Honorable Mention: Ease, Mythril, Vt, Sir Spider, Jamal, Quartz

Terl: High Templar (8-10, 6-10, 6-10)- After his stellar season, more was expected of him than three negative games.
    Dishonorable Mention: Humid, Obi, Chuckle, Seismic, Misled
    When I stab you, you stay stabbed.

T0MA> play like a man

Twdtj

Coming tomorrow.

T0MA> play like a man

Comment

Twdtb

Coming Wednesday...and a preview of next week will probably come on Friday.

T0MA> play like a man

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mage View Post
        Coming Wednesday...and a preview of next week will probably come on Friday.

you lied
        (Steadman)>they went out drinking... ogron siaxis and siaxis gf
        (Steadman)>apparently ogron is EXTREMELY morbidly obese and ridiculously sweaty
        (Steadman)>and he spend the entire night being awkward and staring at siaxis gf
        (Steadman)>and after that they did not meet up again...

Iron Survivor> you missed something in your sig. he also smells like cheese

Comment

Yeah...been busy and/or lazy.. Maybe tonight..

T0MA> play like a man

Comment

fkit, nobody has posted in this forum for like 4 days prior to that msg
            Gripe> apok is good but he's completely wasted his youth playing this game

Comment

Lol 'probably not warmed'; the whole warm up, or 'rust' concept in Subspace is a myth. I've had times of not logging on for up to 2 years easy and still feel and play the same the first time I enter the arena. Even now I only log on for TWDT matches a few minutes before it starts every Sunday and see people who play 24/7 for like 5-6 years perform terribly.
              Awesome> i'm 20.. and definately bigger than you... where do you live, if i ever take a vacation there i'll come beat you up 7:Ripper> hahah
              7:destroy> he'll come to smash you with his keyboard
              7:death row> lol keyboard. must be thug =(((
              7:LofTy> Rofl Drow

Sika> 5:Rich> i went bowling with lofty irl

death row> just throw in a disclaimer: drunk lofty, cannot be responsible for drunk lofty's opinion.

Comment

Challenging conventional wisdom is fine by me, but have more than personal anecdotes ready. My first game online is often one of my worst, and my 2nd among the best. There, I can do it too.

T0MA> play like a man

Comment

that's why i say 'top 5 wb' as opposed to '5th best wb' - on a good day i'm easily #1, on a bad day i might drop to 5th. gotta provide a range.
                  Gripe> apok is good but he's completely wasted his youth playing this game

Comment

summary of week 1 hot or not

top5squad not too hot (only won 1 out of 3 leagues, javs was pretty fun (LOLworthy) to watch, basers decided yankees game was more important than this e-penis stroking business)
                    blood choke did work in one league too (burg showing up for quarters and also semis... they kept jav semi interesting and base was a no doubter)
                    underground stepping up in jav and base against blood choke (shame burg cant do it all)
                    ruby crushing top5squad in base and beating them in jav despite a top5effort

hot: the fucking weather over here right now jesus christ it is sweltering
                    not: top5basers
                    GOD DAMMIT NAPPA

Comment

Might as well add that FP <ER> was the one who dominated top5squad in base for Ruby (basebird), that Cintra and Blood Choke tried hard but Underground just had too much in base, and that mythril/vys were good in jav for top5 but EvilDeed and co. for Ruby were just better in the last game.

T0MA> play like a man

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mage View Post
                        Might as well add that FP <ER> was the one who dominated top5squad in base for Ruby (basebird), that Cintra and Blood Choke tried hard but Underground just had too much in base, and that mythril/vys were good in jav for top5 but EvilDeed and co. for Ruby were just better in the last game.

i knew he'd come through when i got the ball rollin
                        GOD DAMMIT NAPPA

Comment

Working...
                        X