car audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car audio

Ok so I bet most of you have aftermarket stereos in your cars. Using headphones with my iPod in my new car is getting kind of old so I'm gonna replace the head unit. I had a JVC in my old car and it was alright, but I'm kind of hoping to go with something decently nice. Looking to spend $100-$200 on a deck. Make me some suggestions. Sony/Kenwood/Alpine/Pioneer? What's good?

Things I want:
    -Front Aux In
    -CD player
    -A decently nice display and EQ

Things I don't care about:
    -Bluetooth
    -USB
    5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
    5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
    5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

You should not be using headphones when you're driving. Baaaaad Fit!
    Will Thom Yorke ever cheer up? - ZeUs!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Material Girl View Post
      You should not be using headphones when you're driving. Baaaaad Fit!
      QFT

That's illegal in most states.
      Celibrate
      XXX is overrated.

Comment

Shouldn't your new car have an aux plug for your iPod already? Seems pretty standard in cars now.
        duel pasta <ER>> i can lick my asshole

Mattey> put me in corch

zidane> go kf urself pork

Comment

pioneer decks are the best (in terms of style, quality and longevity). i can't think of any specific models, but for 300 bucks you can get one that plays cd's, mp3 cd's, and has both an aux input as well as an iPod-specific cable (though mine does not work for iPhone). for 200 bucks i think you can get the mp3 cd / cd / iPod cable head unit.

looking through their website it seems like they have a new generation out, but you can probably find the older model, this one in particular is the one everyone i know has, the DEH 3900

it's not very flashy but it gets the job done and will last forever like a good pair of boots.

edit: here's the one that is in my truck now. i had the above one, but it was stolen and this is what i replaced it with

Last edited by Jerome Scuggs; 09-12-2010, 03:50 AM.
          NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

Originally posted by project dragon View Post
            Shouldn't your new car have an aux plug for your iPod already? Seems pretty standard in cars now.
            Yeah, I think Subaru made it standard starting in 08. Mine's an 06, so I have a 6-CD changer but no aux in. I'm leaning towards Pioneer right now.
            5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
            5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
            5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

headphones while driving......?

p.s. my dad has some relatively new pioneer and it is O.K.
              Last edited by paradise!; 09-12-2010, 06:04 PM.
              4:BigKing> xD
              4:Best> i'm leaving chat
              4:BigKing> what did i do???
              4:Best> told you repeatedly you cannot use that emoji anymore
              4:BigKing> ???? why though
              4:Best> you're 6'4 and black...you can't use emojis like that
              4:BigKing> xD

Comment

Kenwood, Pioneer and Alpine all have comparable sound quality.
                Sometimes Kenwood includes features in their mid range that are normally reserved for the high-end units, but you probably dont care/use them anyway.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome Scuggs View Post
                  that better be an old pic, otherwise what the fuck are you doing with the heat on this time of year
                  Originally posted by Tone
                  It is now time for the energy shift of the 7th root race to manifest on the 3D physical plane and uplift us back to 5D.
                  Originally posted by the_paul
                  Gargle battery acid fuckface
                  Originally posted by Material Girl
                  I tried downloading a soundcard

Comment

oh, on topic: i've only ever owned pioneer ($150) and alpine ($400) decks, and while i do love my alpine, pioneer is probably better suited for your price range and should be an excellent value if they still make them like they did when i got mine 6 or so years ago
                    Originally posted by Tone
                    It is now time for the energy shift of the 7th root race to manifest on the 3D physical plane and uplift us back to 5D.
                    Originally posted by the_paul
                    Gargle battery acid fuckface
                    Originally posted by Material Girl
                    I tried downloading a soundcard

Comment

Originally posted by Fit of Rage View Post
                      Yeah, I think Subaru made it standard starting in 08. Mine's an 06, so I have a 6-CD changer but no aux in. I'm leaning towards Pioneer right now.
                      Honda has had the mini jack aux in their cars since 2003-04

I personally can't listen to MP3's. The sound is horrible IMHO when you listen to them on good systems. I know that MP3's are better than they had been in past with new compressions in file converting, but I still prefer a WAV, WMA, or FLAC format over MP3.

Point of this is that many of the new car head units being produced for aftermarket have SD card inputs and obviously USB and minijack inputs. The SD card though is sounding like it will be the new wave of head unit aux inputs.

For those that use Ipods...I can understand liking the minijack, but many head units are having multiple aux inputs at realtively cheap prices. Crutchfield it and see what's out there.
                      May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

Comment

Originally posted by 404 Not Found View Post
                        I personally can't listen to MP3's. The sound is horrible IMHO when you listen to them on good systems. I know that MP3's are better than they had been in past with new compressions in file converting, but I still prefer a WAV, WMA, or FLAC format over MP3.
                        here's something that kind of makes me smile when i think about it - my father will lecture me on all the 'artifacts' on my lower-quality 128kbps mp3's, and then he'll put on a record and say that every pop and hiss and scratch brings life to the music.

i drive windows down pretty much all year, so i'll usually have 256k minimum mp3's and what artifacts are there are usually blown away in the wind

internet de la jerome

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome Scuggs View Post
                          here's something that kind of makes me smile when i think about it - my father will lecture me on all the 'artifacts' on my lower-quality 128kbps mp3's, and then he'll put on a record and say that every pop and hiss and scratch brings life to the music.

i drive windows down pretty much all year, so i'll usually have 256k minimum mp3's and what artifacts are there are usually blown away in the wind
                          The compression rates have gotten much better on the MP3 side, as to which I made note of prior. However, I would accept the pop and crackle of vinyl on a recording over the sound of an MP3 and how it handles the drums and cymbals especially....horrible at the 128's.

My side job during the evenings is that of a soundman at a philly club. I also am a luthier as a hobby making guitars and now mandolins...so when it comes to sound for me, it has to be correct or it will just bug the shit out of me.

Depends on what you are listening to the music for as well....if it is just to play in the car and not through a nice system like a 400W McIntosh Tube Amp system through some Snells, Polk or Pinnacle speakers....frankly I like using my JBL Monitors over speakers.

Yeah, you can get decent sound from an MP3, but you also lose sound when converting to MP3. Depends on the person obviously and how serious about their music they are.
                          May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

Comment

yeah, i totally feel you there. the torrent sites i use are private trackers are they are very strict about what you upload (has to be a single rip, of a specific quality, no "mutt" rips etc)

i just met my neighbor across the street and he has a taylor guitar that he had custom-made, every single fucking part. he did the research for over a year vefore dropping over 5 grand. now normally i am of the opinion that it doesn't matter what you play, you can make it sound good - but holy fuck. this guitar. the notes ring louder and clearer, you can hammer on and off all over the fretboard, even down towards the twenty second, twenty third frets (it's an acoustic guitar, mind you)... i'm an intermediate level guitarist, and playing it literally makes me play better. ever since then i've had mad respect for people who can craft an instrument.

internet de la jerome

Comment

404... you do live sound? One time at band camp I sang with a jazz choir and everybody was mic'd.... I had a short solo and the SOUND GUY made my voice sound like crystals.... it was a huge auditorium with what I call good acoustics(reverb). Ever since then I have been trying to explain it to the engineers whenever I do any stuff in the studio but nobody has a clue what I'm trying to refer to. It's been so frustrating that I have just given up even trying to explain it. I even got back in touch with the same sound guy and he doesn't have a clue what I'm taking about..... any idea? :turned:

I guess I should just ask them to turn the reverb up. That's the closest I can seem to get.

Actually, now that I think about it.... it was like he added some high-end frequencies because the way it sounded was kind of like windchimes.
                              Will Thom Yorke ever cheer up? - ZeUs!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X