No announcement yet.

car audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MG, did he add autotune? Do you beleeeEEEEeeeeeeeve in life after looove?

Most of the time I don't care *too* much about bitrates in the car because there's so much wind and road noise anyway. As long as it sounds roughly the same. But once in a while I'll switch to FM and it sounds way better. Then I punish myself for listening to crappy audio.

Comment

you southerners turn the heat on in your cars?
      Originally posted by Tone
      Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

geekbot.... I don't know.... he was only using an analogue soundboard. No computer if I remember right. Ugh, I just can't believe how good he made me sound...... and it was impromptu!

The more I think about it, the more I feel like he added dimensions to the solo. Like, it was like a HUGE frequency spectrum.

???
        Will Thom Yorke ever cheer up? - ZeUs!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 404 Not Found View Post
          Honda has had the mini jack aux in their cars since 2003-04

I personally can't listen to MP3's. The sound is horrible IMHO when you listen to them on good systems. I know that MP3's are better than they had been in past with new compressions in file converting, but I still prefer a WAV, WMA, or FLAC format over MP3.

Point of this is that many of the new car head units being produced for aftermarket have SD card inputs and obviously USB and minijack inputs. The SD card though is sounding like it will be the new wave of head unit aux inputs.

For those that use Ipods...I can understand liking the minijack, but many head units are having multiple aux inputs at realtively cheap prices. Crutchfield it and see what's out there.
          I feel like we've had this discussion before. It's all about V0 mp3 as far as I'm concerned. Sure, you're getting better sound quality with FLAC, I'm not arguing that point. But as far as the sound quality to size ratio, V0 is so so so much better. I have about 65 GB of music, most of it being V0 or 320 kbps equivalent. If I were to have all that in FLAC instead, it would be about 120 GB. That's not a great deal of difference mind you, but then you get compatibility issues (at least with the iPods that I have) and for a given device I can fit less of my music on there at any given time. Right now I have an 8GB iPod touch and a ~30GB iPod video, both of which I got as gifts. If I were going to get something for myself, I'd probably get a classic at 160GB and just bring all my music with me.

And FWIW as far as seeding torrents go, seeding FLACs is a lot harder than seeding V0.
          5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
          5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
          5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

Man this thread makes me feel old as shit, I love listening to talk radio on the AM dial, it sounds so much more distinguished.
            Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

When i was bumping down the street to my hip hop and dance music (in my younger days) i didn't care what deck i had as long as there was a sub woofer control, so i could turn it down in my neighbourhood or after 11 at night so i didn't get any noise complaints. Now i fucking hate the super loud bass. My friend's 10+ year old Alpine deck sounds better than any other deck i've ever heard in my life.

I've owned a Panasonic (Stolen), Sony (stolen), JVC (stolen), Alpine was in my car when i smashed it, still works, skips like a ho now though on a bumpy road.
              There once was a man from Nantucket.

Comment

Originally posted by Squeezer View Post
                you southerners turn the heat on in your cars?
                oh yeah i never responded to PH. definitely an old photo, hahaha

in summertime it's a/c off + windows down (when you have 4 cylinders every bit of power is crucial, can't waste it on a/c ), in wintertime it's windows halfway down + heat thru the floor vents.

edit: adman, i remember the old alpine decks. they do sound legit. does alpine even make a non-touchscreen, non-DVD-playing deck anymore?
                NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

i dunno, i haven't even been in a car audio department in 3 or 4 years.

Comment

My whole system is just build in, I have never even had to worry about that.
                    Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

euros don't listen to music, do they?

:P

But stock stereos are getting much better nowadays.

Comment

The whole system in my car is completely integrated in the car, I can't just put a different one in there. It's perfectly good as far as I'm concerned but I'm no audiophile when it comes to quality, I just want to listen to my music. As long as there are no obvious cracks or other noises that don't belong, it's fine with me.
                        Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

Originally posted by Galleleo View Post
                          The whole system in my car is completely integrated in the car, I can't just put a different one in there. It's perfectly good as far as I'm concerned but I'm no audiophile when it comes to quality, I just want to listen to my music. As long as there are no obvious cracks or other noises that don't belong, it's fine with me.
                          what kind of car do you have?

i've definitely looked at newer dashboards and yeah, it seems if you want a custom stereo you would have to rip out the whole dashboard and then modify it (like newer hondas). and then some are, as you say, 'completely integrated' - like the new Camaro, where it has bluetooth, GPS, etc. taking out the head unit would destroy like half the connectivity of the default installation.

i think the driving force behind that trend is what in my opinion is the end of the format wars. instead of worrying about whether or not you should have a CD player, or a cassette player, all you need is some sort of auxillary or USB input. the downside is that if you are really, really unsatisfied with the default equalizer or sound, it's hard to change... but most of these new audio systems are designed and tested actively, not just thrown in as an accessory. my dad has a factory installed system in his '07 4runner, 10 JBL component speakers with an amp and DSP, and it is pretty f'n nice.
                          NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

Originally posted by Material Girl View Post
                            404... you do live sound? One time at band camp I sang with a jazz choir and everybody was mic'd.... I had a short solo and the SOUND GUY made my voice sound like crystals.... it was a huge auditorium with what I call good acoustics(reverb). Ever since then I have been trying to explain it to the engineers whenever I do any stuff in the studio but nobody has a clue what I'm trying to refer to. It's been so frustrating that I have just given up even trying to explain it. I even got back in touch with the same sound guy and he doesn't have a clue what I'm taking about..... any idea? :turned:

I guess I should just ask them to turn the reverb up. That's the closest I can seem to get.

Actually, now that I think about it.... it was like he added some high-end frequencies because the way it sounded was kind of like windchimes.
                            Depends on what type of Mic you had been using. Also what type of board was he mixing you through? Did they run it with compression or Eq your particular channel? There are mic's for vocalists and there are mics for backup vocals. Many a variable as to why you may have liked the sound but couldn't explain it for others to understand. Turning up the reverb is not what you want on your vocals BTW.

I do not do sound often anymore, but will do it when the need arises.
                            May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

Comment

"one time at band camp"

i giggled
                              jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

That's my system.

Comment

Working...
                                X