Riddle Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paradise! View Post
    What does it matter if they overhear? They already knew the real color. If they can see the other hats on the table, and know the distribution of color, then it's simple.

prisoner A is unblindfolded, and sees prisoner B and C, let's say, with a black hat and a white hat respectively. Prisoner A knows there are 3 black hats and 2 white hats, and sees just 2 black hats on the table from which the warden grabbed it off. Prisoner A thus knows that he has the other white hat.
    It matters since you can base your answer off the answer of others. Use their reactions like the wiki said.

Comment

So you're assuming they know the distribution of colors then? That wasn't mentioned in the op's caveat. If they know that, can see the others colors, and exclude all else (i.e. any form of communication), then they can know their color sometimes. I say exclude all else, because we assume they can't talk, show facial expressions, or use gestures of any kind. How else can they relay the information if COMMUNICATION isn't allowed? Anyways back to the original given info.

If he sees 2 black, he can conclude nothing

if he sees 1 black 1 white, he can conclude nothing

if he sees 2 white, he can conclude he is wearing a black hat
      Yes it was. Otherwise, why did he unblindfold them? It is so that they can see each other's hats. Furthermore, if the rule is, "they are not allowed to communicate," then it's quite clear they're in the same room or the rule wouldn't be needed. And, no, they don't communicate to each other, but they make a response to the warden if they know the answer.

The person who sees 2 white hats is going to respond immediately. He has nothing to think about. So, if this doesn't happen, what does that mean?

I'm pretty much handing you the answer at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Twerp View Post
        like the wiki said.
        i think we missed the point of trying to figure out the riddle

Comment

who's wearing the ?

it's a condom hat, you see
          can we please have a moment for silence for those who died from black on black violence

Comment

Originally posted by Vatican Assassin View Post
            i think we missed the point of trying to figure out the riddle
            Read fit's post. We're not supposed to solve the riddle here. We're supposed to PM him the answer. I tried solving it. Then I read the wiki to see if I was right.

Comment

Originally posted by Twerp
              Yes it was. Otherwise, why did he unblindfold them? It is so that they can see each other's hats. Furthermore, if the rule is, "they are not allowed to communicate," then it's quite clear they're in the same room or the rule wouldn't be needed. And, no, they don't communicate to each other, but they make a response to the warden if they know the answer.

The person who sees 2 white hats is going to respond immediately. He has nothing to think about. So, if this doesn't happen, what does that mean?

I'm pretty much handing you the answer at this point.

2 stand-off cases, not one:

white, black, black
              and black, black, black

what then? Or do we assume they don't care for their lives and will guess?

No one can make the first move.
              4:BigKing> xD
              4:Best> i'm leaving chat
              4:BigKing> what did i do???
              4:Best> told you repeatedly you cannot use that emoji anymore
              4:BigKing> ???? why though
              4:Best> you're 6'4 and black...you can't use emojis like that

Comment

white, black, black
                and black, black, black

You don't need to guess. If no one immediately stands up and says my hat is black because he sees 2 white, then that means there is only 1 white hat in play. If there is only 1 white hat in play, what does that mean for the person who sees white and black hats?

Comment

white, black, black
                  and black, black, black

You are not very good at this.

Or some sort of horrible troll.

Essentially it becomes a waiting and slow realization game.
                  Last edited by project dragon; 10-03-2010, 02:41 AM.
                  duel pasta <ER>> i can lick my asshole

Mattey> put me in corch

zidane> go kf urself pork

Comment

Originally posted by Twerp View Post
                    Read fit's post. We're not supposed to solve the riddle here. We're supposed to PM him the answer. I tried solving it. Then I read the wiki to see if I was right.
                    then you told everyone the wiki answer

Comment

Originally posted by Tigron-X View Post
                      You don't need to guess. If no one immediately stands up and says my hat is black because he sees 2 white, then that means there is only 1 white hat in play. If there is only 1 white hat in play, what does that mean for the person who sees white and black hats?
                      I know, your case is straightforward, but the riddle shouldn't end there, because who even says a white hat has to be in play? All black hats and you get another possible stand-off. that was the whole point of my previous post.

Comment

I know, your case is straightforward, but the riddle shouldn't end there, because who even says a white hat has to be in play? All black hats and you get another possible stand-off. that was the whole point of my previous post.
                        lol... ok, so then what is the logical conclusion if too much time has passed?

Comment

Originally posted by kthx View Post
                          I have one also.

Three guys decide to stay at a hotel while driving up to go camping somewhere, they pull in and go inside. The lady tells them the room is 30 dollars, so each person chips in 10 dollars for the room. Late that night the woman remembers there was a five dollar discount on the room and goes and gives each person 1 dollar back, and keeps two for herself because she couldn't split 5 dollars 3 ways evenly.

So if each person only paid 9 dollars after the 1 dollar discount, and the clerk kept two dollars, what happened to the last dollar?

9x3 = 27
                          + 2 = 29.
                          The following night two friends check into the same motel. Once again the clerk charges them $30, or $15 per person. After the clerk remembers the total rate is only $25 he sends the bellhop upstairs with five $1 bills to pay the two friends back. The bellhop knows he got away with larceny once so he tries it again. But this time he pockets $3 and returns $2 to the hotel guests ($1 per guest). So each of the two guests got $1 back from their original $15. Therefore each paid $14 which is a total payment of $28 for the room. Now the bellhop has $3, the guests paid $28, for a total of $31....There's your missing dollar.

Comment

Paradise, if you can't figure out this riddle, how to you expect go graduate from college?
                            5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
                            5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
                            5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

Lol Tigron has already given u the answer 100x over

How have u not figured it out already :-/

Comment

..?

i has no chance @ degrii

just need an explanation for the all black hats case
                                Last edited by paradise!; 10-04-2010, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X