No announcement yet.

Resolution Cap only for TWDD after Final Reset - Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The goal was never to take away fun for the few players who use high res, it was to set an even bar for squads who are qualifying for TWL in TWDD to play at. If Captains willingly choose to play in a higher res arena even though it isn't going to be used in TWL that is fine with me, but I honestly don't think the arena will be used often as most of the squad captains have already spoken out loudly for a resolution cap to begin with. I suggest one uncapped arena to see if it is even wanted to play in. I don't think that people are being unreasonable to ask to be able to see someones ship at the same time the other ship sees them. Either way one uncapped arena is no different than having different tiled twjd maps or that weird blocky twdd map, it just offers some fun occasionally but still won't ruin the prestige of the league by having extremely differing resolutions.
    Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Just for the record, I got this from Curse:

[Feb 15 23:46] Curse: i am in favor of res cap. 1440x900 is still big enough to play on.

So if he was the main reason for the hold up on Demonic's side, seems like a moot point now. Dude's in favor of it, too.
      RaCka> how can i get you here
      death row> well basically im holdin off cuz i jus joined sweet. so its not u, its me
      RaCka> YOU'RE DUMPING ME?!?!?!?
      death row> LOL I KNOW I JUS READ THAT LINE AGAIN

Comment

Originally posted by kthx View Post
        The goal was never to take away fun for the few players who use high res, it was to set an even bar for squads who are qualifying for TWL in TWDD to play at. If Captains willingly choose to play in a higher res arena even though it isn't going to be used in TWL that is fine with me, but I honestly don't think the arena will be used often as most of the squad captains have already spoken out loudly for a resolution cap to begin with. I suggest one uncapped arena to see if it is even wanted to play in. I don't think that people are being unreasonable to ask to be able to see someones ship at the same time the other ship sees them. Either way one uncapped arena is no different than having different tiled twjd maps or that weird blocky twdd map, it just offers some fun occasionally but still won't ruin the prestige of the league by having extremely differing resolutions.
        Exactly. I know I came off a bit abrasive on you earlier, FusionBomb, and I apologize about that. You did bring up a good idea. If they (staff) can come up with an arena for the new crowd, or the minority players wanting to play in that type of setting, I'm okay with that. But those that want to compete at a high level, want to play with league settings and not settings that don't count in the big picture.
        RaCka> how can i get you here
        death row> well basically im holdin off cuz i jus joined sweet. so its not u, its me
        RaCka> YOU'RE DUMPING ME?!?!?!?
        death row> LOL I KNOW I JUS READ THAT LINE AGAIN

Comment

If this res cap for TWDD ever actually happens I'd suggest a ladder reset to accompany it so the final results for TWL qualifying aren't tainted.
          GOD DAMMIT NAPPA

Comment

Just gonna drop a bomb right here:
            Originally posted by vt
            Your only argument is that strays are dodgable on both resolutions due to huge time frame, whereas the res disadvantage isn't because of the stray reason. You are really stupid, if you omit the crucial factors such as positioning, team swarm and general awareness of team-enemy relationship, which is obviously CLEARER when you can see the moving and pointing ships on YOUR SCREEN, instead of guessing off radar, which is also much more laggy than your screen. The 'more skill argument' from your side is yet another clueless argument made by some nerdy javelin/baser you are, since put in 4 high res players vs. 4 1280x1024 ones and you will see where im getting at. High res player does not need to risk playing in close range, because he can successfully aim off at enemy from afar and have enough time to shoot again before the low-res guy gets dangerously close. Since radarbattles will be lost vs. every high res player, so those poor guys will focus on rush, which will not work because 4 guys clearly see them upcoming and have time to fire of 2 shots.
            Originally posted by reaver
            Why are people still arguing about whether there is or isn't an advantage? There is an advantage and if you want to argue it, stop, you are NOT a good warbird nor were you ever. Anybody that was ever a decent warbird or is a decent warbird now can immediately notice the advantages of being able to see further. Ok enough said on that topic.
            Originally posted by poseidon
            higher resolution means more visibility of teammates, which is definitely more valuable than having more visibility of enemies. its more valuable cuz it means that you can maneuver better as a team as you can see yr teammates from a further distance. it means the game relies more on teamwork. it all has to do with the team dynamics of the match. this is what i think we should be going for, more teamwork and strategy, it increases the depth of play that 5v5 TW wbs struggles for. shuld do everything we can to make it not seem like 5v5 elim imo.
            Originally posted by creature
            Originally posted by Summa
            Let me respond to a few things here since no one has come to defense of raising the resolution.

In terms of eliminating rushing. This is argument is a joke to me. Does it destroy the horizontal axis "surprise" rush; yes it does. Vertical axis rushes are still as effective, and people who fire, miss, and are low energy are just as susceptible to a rush regardless of resolution.
            False, it does affect the quality of rushing.

The reason why a "surprise" rush is successful is almost 100% due to successful positioning. The reason why any GOOD veteran dies is because they are facing the WRONG direction when the other rusher pops up onto the screen. Resolution increase will basically eliminate the horizontal axises for sure and if u let the vertical cap be changed it's going to eliminate that factor of surprise. The reason good players don't die to rushes is because they are constantly checking radar to make sure their ship is positioned in a way that if someone surprises them they are facing the right direction and vice versa for good rushers (let's not even use rusher here, use surprise attacker) being successful is because of a high level of awareness required to identify the people who are facing the wrong direction and capitalize on those mistakes. If you increase resolution limits, it's giving everyone more vision and you can see what direction ships are facing so this entire element of "rushing" will be decreased...it won't be "eliminated' but it's effectiveness is going to significantly suffer.

The energy argument is bullshit - it's not because of low energy people die to rushes, any good wb with a solid understanding of energy recovery fundamentals knows that if you don't do anything from the moment an enemy appears on the edge of a 1280x1024 radar screen you will have enough energy to be able to get a shot off ASSUMING ur facing the right direction. The reason why they die is because they are caught in few seconds when they aren't moving and the time needed to accelerate to full speed isn't enough time for them to dodge the incoming rusher in time. Increasing resolution makes it WAY WAY easier to see someone coming at you in time to start moving to dodge an incoming shot.

YOU DONT DIE BECAUSE YOU DONT HAVE ENERGY YOU DIE BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT IN THE OPTIMAL POSITION / DIRECTION TO DODGE A BULLET.

Someone said something about people with larger res being able to see more on radar. Also false, in fact this is the biggest hindrance to 1920x1080. Unless the magnification of the radar is changed in the .lvz, you will always see 2000x2000 on your radar. In effect this distorts the proportion of your radar for those who are used to playing 4:3 aspect resolutions.
            This argument has 0 credibility.

Who needs to look at a radar when you practically see the entire radar on your screen? Any good player will adjust to the distorted proportion of the radar anyways....it's not even a good representation anyways right now (radar = square, screen = rectangle). Don't even start the argument that higher res = smaller ship = harder to aim close ---again, any good wb will adjust.

I also think it "destroying the league" is hyperbole. As I stated, there are maybe 4 or 5 ppl who I would consider TWL starters who are using the increased resolution. In some senses it would "re-invent" warbird play more so than it would destroy the league. Rather than allow current practice to dominate, it would force people to learn a new set of skills.

Like I said, I have not made up my mind; but beyond the testimony of wb veterans and an understanding of fractions of a second more to react, I have little hard evidence against raising the res.
            Listen to the vets

I'm telling you it will significantly affect the game even if the changes aren't that big - you simply (no offense) don't understanding wbing at HIGH level competitive play enough to make this judgment call. I really like kthx's argument that it's impossible to get "hard evidence" in terms of statistics...it's simply impossible (different players, different game, different lag, TOO MANY variables).
            Finally, I have compiled a little statistical proof (which helps terrible players understand the above wall of text better.)

I am gonna let you guys argue this, Demonic, anyone. Prove this isn't true. I dare you.
            TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

nicely done jones, +1
              1:Rasaq> i scrub really hard with toilet paper so little pieces of it get stuck to my anus hair and then later on when im watching tv i like to pull them out slowly because it feels pretty good

1:Mutalisk> heard that n1111ga okyo got some DSLs

Paradise> No names but there's actually a black man in the arena right now.

Jones> MAAAAN1111GA UCHIHA

Paradise> NO NAMES. NOT A SINGLE NAME.....but 3/6 of the players on Force are of a certain descent. I will not go any further.

Comment

Man summa saying "I also think it "destroying the league" is hyperbole. As I stated, there are maybe 4 or 5 ppl who I would consider TWL starters who are using the increased resolution. In some senses it would "re-invent" warbird play more so than it would destroy the league. Rather than allow current practice to dominate, it would force people to learn a new set of skills." is exactly what I've been saying since the whining started. I did vote for it to take effect after reset though. It's offseason, who gives a shit? Let the he-shes rack up 20 kills a game, who gives a shit? Would have been cool to see some creativity to try to overcome the res but I guess that won't be happening. It does make sense to limit it for qualification period if it's going to remain limited in twld, though, that much makes perfect sense.
                JAMAL> didn't think there was a worse shark than midoent but the_paul takes it

turban> claus is the type of person that would eat shit just so you would have to smell his breath

Originally posted by Ilya;n1135707
                the_paul: the worst guy, needs to go back to school, bad at his job, guido

Comment

what a joke havin a res cap is like bein stuck in the 90's
                  Guns dont kill people. Subpace does.

Comment

u playing a 2d spaceship game....doesnt that make u feel like u in the 90s?

u think u live in world of Tron?
                    1:Rasaq> i scrub really hard with toilet paper so little pieces of it get stuck to my anus hair and then later on when im watching tv i like to pull them out slowly because it feels pretty good

Paradise> NO NAMES. NOT A SINGLE NAME.....but 3/6 of the players on Force are of a certain descent. I will not go any further.

Comment

Originally posted by sixus View Post
                      what a joke havin a res cap is like bein stuck in the 90's
                      Pretty ironic that, being as you're playing on a 90s game.

edit: ty cres

Comment

think we need a CRT monitor cap too. TFT 2modern
                        Guns dont kill people. Subpace does.

Comment

Originally posted by kthx View Post
                          Well apparently this poll might be moved to TW as a bot poll, even though Predator and I had already agreed (which I have logged and posted on the forums) that we would abide by the results of this forum poll.

First off fuck no, people are tired of voting for this shit 30 times, people want a cap its abundantly obvious by this point.

Secondly, if you are going to make us deal with this fucking farce by making poll after poll because apparently its "really hard to sign up for the forums" it better be an open fucking poll where everyone who votes gets logged so there isn't any stupid shit from in game staff.
                          Allowing people who doesnt have forum account to have theyr vote in at ?go twd with a bot is made becouse this way everybody gets to vote on this matter. It was never ment that you have to vote here and then with the bot also. Also we will see who voted what, and if they voted twice theyr other vote will be nullified.

I didnt think that giving options for players is that bad "stupid shit".

And it also seems that there are still people who doesnt want to cap resolution, lets give them arenas to play also. I dont see eny harm in that. There is lots of space in our servers to host few more arenas, we will see in statistics then which arenas are most played afterwards.
                          Original Mambonian
                          TWD Head Coordinator

Its frustrating to write these lines after every post^
                          I'd hope there would be another way..like some automatic system that fills them itself after every post.

Comment

Originally posted by PredatoR_FNM View Post
                            And it also seems that there are still people who doesnt want to cap resolution, lets give them arenas to play also. I dont see eny harm in that. There is lots of space in our servers to host few more arenas, we will see in statistics then which arenas are most played afterwards.
                            how is this going to count towards twl qualifications?
                            TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

Originally posted by Jones View Post
                              how is this going to count towards twl qualifications?
                              This. And honestly considering you said you would abide by the rules I think the middle ground that the people who voted for the cap are reasonably allowing you to do by having one uncapped arena is more than fair.
                              Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

If you must satisfy the minority here then you should think about how it will affect twl qualifications. According to the poll, only one arena should have no res cap and this arena should have no impact on the twdd ladder.

Comment

Working...
                                X