Timeouts in TWD Games?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paradise! View Post
    ?? havent you seen the substitution mechanism? theres an intentional delay. You could make the timeout delay even longer, 5 or 10 seconds, and your scenario wont exist.

this is crazy good idea. good way for teams to reorganize and discuss what to do if they are getting whomped.
    How much discussion do you really need in order to win a casual competition in an obsolete 2D game? If you haven't figured out how to play a ship in TW within a few hours of playing time in it, you aren't ever going to figure it out. Timeouts will not change that.

I can't wait for the bot devs to put countless hours into this, only for it to be used exclusively by sore losers at 49-31 to waste everyone's time.

Comment

You dont make any sense nameless. as miku said, its a mental pause, to change the momentum, regain confidence. Or is it that you never have that bad moment in your game?
      imo, this makes games more interesting/even. And im talking about duelings not base.
      also read the thread before replying

Comment

Originally posted by Nameless View Post
        How much discussion do you really need in order to win a casual competition in an obsolete 2D game? If you haven't figured out how to play a ship in TW within a few hours of playing time in it, you aren't ever going to figure it out. Timeouts will not change that.

I can't wait for the bot devs to put countless hours into this, only for it to be used exclusively by sore losers at 49-31 to waste everyone's time.
        Did you read any of the previous posts? Nope. It was suggested mostly in DDs/JDs and only until one team has 40 deaths. Later, no timeout is allowed. If only people would read, this game would be a much nicer place.
        "Action is the real measure of intelligence. "
        Napoleon Hill

wiibimbo>I'm gonna take u out next week for a beer and pizza at Leonardo's...no homo tho! I prefer big boobs
        Dral>I can get implants

Comment

Dear god, listen to yourselves. Stop applying sports theories. This isn't the Super Bowl or the World Cup. It's an automated division in a dead computer game. You want to call a timeout to "recuperate" and "change the momentum" because... you're being bad at pressing keys on a keyboard. This is not a complicated or physical activity. You don't need a timeout to recover from this. You are not an athlete. You aren't even engaging in anything rigorous, unless you're EvilDeed or something.

And why should you be able to call a timeout just because you're getting "whomped" after you break teaming? Wouldn't the proper course of action be, I don't know, to learn to not break teaming in the first place? When did this become Hungry Hungry Hippos? Why should you get a mulligan after making a stupid mistake? Learn from it and don't make it again. It's not hard, timeout or no timeout.

If you can't press arrow keys/control/tab well, it's your captain's responsibility to light a fire under your ass and make sure you press those keys better. Your captain should be able to do this with or without timeouts. There is nothing that your captain can say or do inside the realm of a timeout that he can't do outside of it, unless he has the IQ of a ham sandwich. It's an online game. Stop using "sports teams get timeouts" as a copout.

Introducing timeouts would disrupt more than this alleged "momentum". TWD's appeal lies in its simplicity. You get three or four of your guys together, you blow stuff up for a while, and you go about your business. It's popular because it's devoid of stupid frills like this.

But hey, don't listen to me. wiibimbo supports the idea. That should tell you just how little merit it should carry.
          Last edited by Nameless; 12-17-2011, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Timeouts wont only be used to recuperate and regather team strategies but to also sub in 1-2 players at the time without them being subbed into random spawns and possibly being spawned and being a waste of sub. It'd also be easier for the sub to get into the flow of the game starting next to his teammates instead of searching for them and possibly dieing trying to get to them or being teamed.

I'm not saying I need a timeout to rest my fingers or because I'm unable to hit the right keys, but it's to possibly stop the opposing team's momentum, just as sports use its timeouts, not always to rest the players.
            (castromarx)>reaver, accord and i are busy playing with our balls

1:JAMAL> just farted smells good as fuk

Argentina> weeeee oooooh weeeee oooooh
            Argentina> look at me kids!
            Argentina> I'm an ambulance!

Comment

Originally posted by Nameless View Post
              Dear god, listen to yourselves. Stop applying sports theories. This isn't the Super Bowl or the World Cup. It's an automated division in a dead computer game. You want to call a timeout to "recuperate" and "change the momentum" because... you're being bad at pressing keys on a keyboard. This is not a complicated or physical activity. You don't need a timeout to recover from this. You are not an athlete. You aren't even engaging in anything rigorous, unless you're EvilDeed or something.

And why should you be able to call a timeout just because you're getting "whomped" after you break teaming? Wouldn't the proper course of action to be, I don't know, learn to not break teaming in the first place? When did this become Hungry Hungry Hippos? Why should you get a mulligan after making a stupid mistake? Learn from it and don't make it again. It's not hard, timeout or no timeout.

If you can't press arrow keys/control/tab well, it's your captain's responsibility to light a fire under your ass and make sure you press those keys better. Your captain should be able to do this with or without timeouts. There is nothing that your captain can say or do inside the realm of a timeout that he can't do outside of it, unless he has the IQ of a ham sandwich. It's an online game. Stop using "sports teams get timeouts" as a copout.

Introducing timeouts would disrupt more than this alleged "momentum". TWD's appeal lies in its simplicity. You get three or four of your guys together, you blow stuff up for a while, and you go about your business. It's popular because it's devoid of stupid frills like this.

But hey, don't listen to me. wiibimbo supports the idea. That should tell you just how little merit it should carry.
              You have some good points. But i don't understand why you consider a timeout a sort of cowards way out. It can be a technique lower teams can use to reorganize and make a more competitive game. Ask any JDer playing one of the bigger squads and they will tell you, when things get bad, a timeout would be tremendously helpful.

IMO, if you test it out, I have a feeling you'll see some significant changes in twd ladder. But, if we want TWD to go the no-rubber no-frills twd style games. Then have it, nothing will change. If you believe in that style of TWD, then you must have been against the pub map change, against the attack tournaments, and everything else involving changing this zone. Might as well be consistent right? You don't want any pub bucks, extra tiles, or anything getting in your way in pub. No frills, pure 1990s-esque type pubbing right?

I am not for a twd completely devoid of anything new. Sounds like your saying new implies frills, then we have a serious problem.
              4:BigKing> xD
              4:Best> i'm leaving chat
              4:BigKing> what did i do???
              4:Best> told you repeatedly you cannot use that emoji anymore
              4:BigKing> ???? why though
              4:Best> you're 6'4 and black...you can't use emojis like that
              4:BigKing> xD

Comment

please stop typing
                TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

Changes gonna happen Nameless, with or without you. We support this cause the game is dying and we are trying to make it as pleasant as possible. Taking a timeout isn't cowardly at all, as para said, it's the time u gather ur team, especially to disrupt good squad's momentum. If perhaps u were up by 5 vs Fierce in a jd, then had a 0-10 run, wouldn't u want to stop for 30 seconds, refocus and recollect ur thoughts, tell ur ppls what to do next and then play again? I think u would.
                  "Action is the real measure of intelligence. "
                  Napoleon Hill

wiibimbo>I'm gonna take u out next week for a beer and pizza at Leonardo's...no homo tho! I prefer big boobs
                  Dral>I can get implants

Comment

I personally don't like the idea. I would hate to be "in the zone" then someone calls a timeout screwing up that vibe...

Help Promote TrenchWars - www.trenchwars.org/donations - www.trenchwars.org/donationsoverview

Comment

Originally posted by mtine View Post
                      Changes gonna happen Nameless, with or without you. We support this cause the game is dying and we are trying to make it as pleasant as possible.
                      Oh, my bad! You're trying to turn TWD into hospice! I didn't realize this. That would explain why you want to kill TWD's primary appeal. Might as well end the suffering, right? And thank you for the air of finality surrounding your statement. I wasn't aware that all potential changes are now finalized by going through wiibimbo. I sure can't wait to use my timeouts like a coach/manager in a free computer game. Thanks!

Taking a timeout isn't cowardly at all, as para said, it's the time u gather ur team, especially to disrupt good squad's momentum.
                      Disrupting momentum in a multiplayer game by essentially pressing pause is a cowardly act. 13 years ago, when GoldenEye was the gold standard of multiplayer gaming, unnecessary pausing was punishable by a severe beatdown. It's a spineless act used only by sissies who suck at the game and decide to waste everyone's time just because they can't stand losing.

If perhaps u were up by 5 vs Fierce in a jd, then had a 0-10 run, wouldn't u want to stop for 30 seconds, refocus and recollect ur thoughts, tell ur ppls what to do next and then play again? I think u would.
                      If my squad is good enough to get a five-point lead against Fierce in the first place, they obviously have a fundamental understanding of how to play. So what exactly do I have to tell them to do next? "Stop sucking and kill the enemy"? Do I really have to stop the game to say that? Furthermore, does it take 30 seconds to say that?

TL;DR: Terrible idea, scrap it.

Comment

TWD is working without such a feature as !timout.
                        I don't see the need for it, as it is running fine. Also I am not a huge fan of implemeting more stuff into TWD which is NOT needed.

Comment

? could be a good idea in games that don't get !readied. I tend to sober up too fast and need another bong rip prior to 2nd rounds wait. BUt this just me.

Comment

This is not a good idea, I'm sorry.
                            JAMAL> didn't think there was a worse shark than midoent but the_paul takes it

turban> claus is the type of person that would eat shit just so you would have to smell his breath

Originally posted by Ilya;n1135707
                            the_paul: the worst guy, needs to go back to school, bad at his job, guido

Comment

I am unsure on what benefits this would actually have, also thinking outside the box a bit, teams would potentially get dependent on timeouts and get a little lost if they get into TWL and cant timeout.

Comment

I disagree

Let's make people wait more to twdd with this timeout idea.

Not only do you now have to wait the 5minutes before the match now you can wait during the TV fucking timeout. . .

Squads are going to abuse this command

And it will ruin the scrappy flow of the game

Let's wait a minute when its 49-10 for any squad vs T K O

Comment

Working...
                                X