• Show
Clear All

• HOT or NOT: -The Finals-

Hot or Not: -The Finals-

TWDT-D Final

dun vs me (7-1) vs. Nimrook (6-2)

50-44
    50-36

Regardless of the victor, this final turned out to be a fait accompli for Thunder, as the captains of both dun vs. me and Nimrook (Hulk and Ease, respectively), as well as several players on each side, hailed from the TWL staple.

Ease (11-10) and CrimsonX (14-10) came out the gate with blistering starts, each garnering 10-2 recs and providing the 'Rooks with a massive 14 kill lead. Like Icarus before them, however, they flew too high, too close to the sun, and succumbed to the dunvsmeans scorching comeback earning 12 straight kills as Riverside went from 1-5 to 16-8 to earn MVP honors.

Geio, looking like Steven Seagal in Hard to Kill, refused to die on 3-9 halfway through the game as he clawed his way back to a 7-9 record (before finally dying out in the endgame for a respectable 7-10) embodied the dunvsmeans spirit as they came back from near insurmountable odds (and a Jones-shaped hole Nimrook could not fill in their starting 5). Engineers (9-6) and byakko (8-5) rounded out the W.

Nimrook, with the wind knocked out of its sails, couldn't muster up a cogent defense against the onslaught of a re-energized dun vs. me side, despite good efforts from CrimsonX (10-10) and Renzi (5-4).

All five dunvsmeans went positive: byakko (13-10), Geio (12-8), Iron Survivor (9-8), Riverside (8-4) and Engineers (8-6), as their strong, balanced rush made short work of their frenemies (many play on the same squads).

MVPs: Geio, Riverside

TWDT-B Final

dun vs me (5-3) vs. BONK! (8-1)

20:00-19:53

BONK! certainly has a flair for the dramatic -- a 4-round epic in the TWDT-D Quarter-Finals, a 20:00-19:30 win in the TWDT-B Semi-Finals -- and now a 40 minute thriller against dun vs. me that was won by a mere 7 seconds!

Once again, the storyline was the specials, with megaman89 (132-89) and byakko (102-102) combining for 16 Teks (8 apiece).

While the lead swung back-and-forth the majority of the game, BONK! held it for the majority of the mid-game as their relentless offense overwhelmed the dunvsmeans in the flagroom, outkilling them by a staggering 140 kills!

However, byakko's teks seemed to arrive at better times, and his consistent ability to break BONK!s resilient crams, combined with dun vs me's own solid cram, managed to edge out the heavyweight Bonkites and provide Hulk and co. with a well-deserved Triple-Crown in TWDT.

hyprocrit (150-102) and Rucci (126-91) once-again valiantly led the dunvsmean offense, supported by Anidalife (124-108), in the unenviable task of containing NL>Trigger (142-82), claushouse (140-69), squallFF8 (132-69) and kesser (117-102).

Perhaps the most understated but important performance of the match, however, was by Mikkiz, who's survival abilities and conservative-style in a jav-heavy league was crucial, especially vs. a predatory megaman89, who on more than one occasion was overheard saying "how did he not die??" in yellow chat.

Cape (73-17) had another killcentric, but deathly performance, unable to find the magic from the TWLB finals several months ago and stay alive when his squad needed him to (although Turban's lag and ability to fire javbombs despite being fired into, certainly didn't facilitate the task).

MVPs: byakko, Mikkiz

TWDT-J Final

dun vs me (5-3) vs. Nimrook (6-2)

50-36
    50-39

byakko (12-9) proved to be an all-round menace in all three leagues, as he and Eelam (12-9) spearheaded the dunvsmeans to a decisive Round 1 victory over the 'Rooks. Riverside (9-6) also showed his versatility, contributing in wb, shark and jav across all 3 finals. hypocrit also threw in a 10-8 to go along with his 150-kill spider performance, while infrared (7-4) laid low with a quiet but confident effort.

Nimrook, as in the TWDT-D final, struggled to find a 5th as qpr (6-10) was forced into action Round 1, with Jones (7-10) finally coming online (one-league-too-late), as only Raples (10-10) and Ease (9-10) could come close to parity.

They fared little better round 2, as flared (11-5) and infrared (11-5) inflicted red dead redemption on the squad that had vanquished them during the regular season. Fludd (10-10) made up for his first round 1-10 as M_M God (10-10) entered the fray, along with another solid go from Raples (9-10), but an abysmal game from Jones (2-10,3 TKS!!) actually covered the entire 11-point spread they lost by. An AFKer going 0-10 in spawn would have actually done less damage.

MVP: infrared

Kudos to Hulk's dun vs me for winning all three leagues -- a feat previously unaccomplished in either TWDT or TWL -- and under a stringent star-system, no less!

The overall Finals MVP goes to byakko, better known as Turban, for his stellar outings across all three leagues, especially the closely contested TWDT-B final. If there ever was a case for the unbalanced nature of the rocket on a jav, that performance was it -- although there's no denying the aptitude behind the controls.

And a big thanks to the ops who made the league happen, and everyone who showed week-in, week-out to keep it active and competitive!
    Last edited by ogron; 10-31-2011, 08:36 PM.
    top 100 basers list

Had to adjust didnt realize from the get go I was playing against five metalkids

Comment

geio easily worst of the dunvsmes
      Gun remembers.

Comment

good games, too bad about DST otherwise I could've played warbirds
        TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

Originally posted by Jones View Post
          good games, too bad about DST otherwise I could've played warbirds
          ya was unfortunate you couldn't make the wb final, would've made it a closer game
          top 100 basers list

Comment

It would have changed the outcome entirely, jones is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
            "People fear what they can't understand, hate what they can't conquer."

"Cherry blossoms in the Spring, and starry skies in the Summer. The Autumn brings the full moon. The Winter brings the snow. These things make Sake taste good. If you don't like Sake, then there is something wrong with you." Seijuro Hiko

Comment

Wouldnt have mattered. It was destiny

Comment

u ok.

Comment

Working...
                X