No announcement yet.

what is this login shit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will miss your insightful and intelligent replies.

So how many days/weeks of 0 new player registrations until you can stop annoying hte fuck out of the forum community?
    sigpic

Comment

Sorry in advance for the long post, but I think you guys ought to learn a few things about proper design principles. Consider this my donation to trench wars for the moment.

I was frustrated by this change to the site. It took me about 5 times shrugging and logging in before I, as a typical user, realized what this screen was trying to tell me. Here's why:

1. People really don't read much of anything besides the content they're looking for (for proof, observe how many people respond to this post with something along the lines of TL;DR).
      2. People especially don't read big blocks of text they didn't expect to see. Most will look for the OK button and, when it isn't there, panic (go ahead, try this screen out on 4-5 of your friends).
      3. If it was unexpected AND you didn't give me an easy way out by clicking a button somewhere (not even a log in button), congratulations on the bug you have in your product because your program model no longer matches the user model.

So when I visit my 3rd thread (oh yeah, it doesn't happen right away, complete sucker-punch) and this strange dialog that I'm sure someone spent several hours wording "just so" appears on my screen, with the closest things that looks like buttons being the page theme and language selectors, I now have a problem. Now I (as someone who is both intelligent and determined) get to read this giant blob that I care little about just to figure out what I need to do to see the thread I'm trying to view. The user you're targeting with your gimmick is going to lose interest way quicker.

I understand what you're trying to accomplish with the new screen, but you're not even leading me to the links you've sparingly added to the paragraph. That's because they look just like the text in the rest of the paragraph unless I mouse over them.

So, you've basically accomplished two things you never intended to do:
      1. Annoying most of your actual users
      2. Driving away all the genuine guests with a screen that doesn't reach coherence within the first 10 seconds.
      -Dave

Comment

the system was implemented long before i ever came into the picture. i can talk it over with dez and m_m and see what they think about removing it.

not really my cup of tea to be so involved in all this policy decision-making, ugh.
        jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

The forums aren't gaining posts by the minute, and it sucks to login just to read 1 or 2 posts, which likely are not of much value.
          1:CrazyKillah> oder if i olny knew u irl u would be dead and i would be in jail

menomena> did you get to see the end of the steelers greenbay game though
          JAMAL> yeah you dumb fat faggot, was good ending

1:Cape> Why did u axe req
          1:cripple> I'm very religious, and my new years revolution was to make this squad a better one, so I kept with my resolution and axed req.
          http://big-dicked.mybrute.com/

Comment

um i just skimmed over this but i feel like some of the ppl in this thread might benefit from using the .net instead of .org domain. i have always noticed a peculiarity in TWForums and logging in/cookies, andsomeone pointed out the .org/.net difference in another thread and ever since ive become aware basically havn't had to login.

sometimes i type in "for" and hit enter and my browser automatically takes me to forums.trenchwars.org where i am not logged in, but then i always click "new posts" and as soon as i do i goto the results page and i am logged in.
            NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

Yeah I do that too, have no idea what youre talking ab'ut
              (Children)>hunted for life
              (zhou)>ofc u hear things cus ur still a virgin
              :zhou:i dont wanna go deaf bro

Comment

Let's build a giant electrified fence along our border to keep the mexicans out.
                TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
                TelCat> hoes get paid :(
                TelCat> i dont

Comment

im hard

Comment

yeah theres something wrongn with .org, don't use it. .net works perfectly though
                    JAMAL> didn't think there was a worse shark than midoent but the_paul takes it

turban> claus is the type of person that would eat shit just so you would have to smell his breath

Originally posted by Ilya;n1135707
                    the_paul: the worst guy, needs to go back to school, bad at his job, guido

Comment

posting from .org server via convo app for android, looks like its working perfectly. I'm always logged in via .net elsewhere though.

Comment

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

How come guests can still view threads?
                        Less QQ More pew pew

Comment

there is an add-on currently enabled called "limited guest viewing" and it's set to a stupidly low threshold of 3 threads. that means a guest can view 3 threads before they'll get the message you encountered, pd.

i would like to just go ahead and disable the add-on, but whenever i do things like that (just take care of business) i always get flak for not checking with others first. so i'm gonna see if i can get consensus from other forum admins.
                          jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

other ppl have pretty much summed up what actually annoys me about it

it's the concious change trying to force a positive impact but actually likely being negative

that if you are forced to register you'll post and become part of the game and better forums, i dont see it like that, if you want to post you'll register and if you dont you should be able to just browse otherwise you are putting ppl off reading them

if you are just mildly curious about the forums many ppl browse them before deciding they want to join in and voice their opinions, you can link to things in game chat and ppl who've never signed into the forums instead of being put off by having to register.

for me personally it's not a big deal i can set my browser to remember me, but i dont get why bother changing it to this

if we were being attacked by spam bots fair enough, or now it's a private forum can we finally swap torrent links :P
                            In my world,
                            I am King

sigpic

Comment

yeah its fine pdrop
                              can we please have a moment for silence for those who died from black on black violence

Comment

Originally posted by project dragon View Post
                                Will this be of help?

https://lastpass.com/
                                hmm i'm too paranoid for that

yet not to paranoid to save my passwords in an encrypted file , decrypt it totaly forget about leave it as a txt file and then see it and go meh
                                In my world,
                                I am King

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X