Board Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Board Games

I've always loved playing board games and in the last year or so, I've gotten a group of friends who I play with on a regular basis. We have a decent collection but are looking to get some new ones. Please post any suggestions.

Our games:
    Axis and Allies (original, Europe, Pacific, anniversary) - WWII game. the anniversary edition is tied for my favourite game
    Agricola (and farmers of the moor) - pure planning, strategy and educated guesses. almost no luck involved. my other favourite game
    Settlers of Catan (seafarers, cities and knights) - roll the dice and bargain with your opponents. probably the best "beginner" game
    Ticket To Ride - good, simple fun. the Europe version has a bit more to it so I would recommend that one
    Carcassonne - lay tiles to build cities, roads and farms. another game that's easy to pick up for everyone
    Puerto Rico - produce goods or build up your city or both. no luck involved, just educated guesses which I like
    Cranium - we always play guys vs girls and girls always win because they can think alike...
    7 Wonders - build up any combination of production, trade, military, politics, science. I've only played a few times but it seems good
    Bananagrams - like speed scrabble. would be fun if I had a vocabulary
    Tribond - trivia type game. find the connection between the three things
    Dominion - card based game. I think it's pretty stupid
    Scene-its (Seinfeld and star trek) - these are really for the ultra-fan
    Monopoly - classic
    Clue - classic
    Risk - classic
    Scrabble - classic, see bananagrams
    Tigris and Euphrates - haven't played yet
    Caylus - haven't played yet
    Less QQ More pew pew

I have a few friends who are enthusiasts as well. I particularly like Puerto Rico, Settlers, Ticket to Ride, and any trivia game....

some that i like that are NOT on your list:

Huggermugger. hard to find, but great game. word trivia.
    Robo Ralley. Turn based logic & strategy game
    New Yorker Cartoon Caption Game. invent your own caption to blank single panel cartoons, great group game
    Balderdash. another word game. see how good you can lie.
    Bang. Card game, but not a board game. Cowboy turned based game, highly recommended.
    Pente. two player strategy game, roughly related to Go.

the only other "classic" game I play that you didn't mention is Scategories.

Comment

Maybe try out Runebound, it takes some time studying the rules but its a little different and fun to play.
      (Children)>hunted for life
      (zhou)>ofc u hear things cus ur still a virgin
      :zhou:i dont wanna go deaf bro

Comment

texas hold em

cranium / pictionary

Comment

The Good, the Bad, and the Munchkin

It's like the card game Bang that someone else posted. Pretty entertaining.
          thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

Comment

What's runebound like to play? Lots of pieces? Dice? Big board? Card based?

Edify, I was looking at Munchkins and was going to buy it until the board game guy said "it's lots of fun but quite simplistic". Any comments?
            Less QQ More pew pew

Comment

blokus
              jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

I think I was in highschool when I played Munchkins. It's like d'n'd with cards. The cards themselves are pretty humourous, but it could feel like a novelty. I would say it's pretty simple.

I have also come to realize through playing Settlers and Carcassonne that I really enjoy being a dick.
                duel pasta <ER>> i can lick my asshole

Mattey> put me in corch

zidane> go kf urself pork

Comment

yeah you've pretty much listed the ones i like

some 2 player ones like Stratego are great though (and the clasics chess, backgammon tournaments)
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratego
                  In my world,
                  I am King

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                    blokus
                    yes i was going to say this

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

Originally posted by project dragon View Post
                      I have also come to realize through playing Settlers and Carcassonne that I really enjoy being a dick.
                      The fuck-over game is too much fun not to play.
                      Less QQ More pew pew

Comment

Originally posted by Soup du Jour View Post
                        What's runebound like to play? Lots of pieces? Dice? Big board? Card based?
                        Well it dependson the expansion you got but the main one is like:

Youre a hero that levels + gets to buy items (theres a stack of like 100+ and you only get tos ee like 30 per game) and have to defeat a certain dragon. and blabla. but it has a lot of strategic decisions and is pretty fun to play though unforgiving without the expansion.

expansions add concepts and are generally pretty cheap.

To answer your question: board & dices & cards. lol. but the cards only give the heroes (15 to pick from ish) items and monsters. dices have two kinds, movement and attack shit and the board on which to move.

Envision dungeons and dragons but less nerdy (and more fun).
                        (Children)>hunted for life
                        (zhou)>ofc u hear things cus ur still a virgin
                        :zhou:i dont wanna go deaf bro

Comment

This was the one I was subjugated too:

sigpic
                          All good things must come to an end.

Comment

parcheesi
                            jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

Stratego has been a Favorite of mine since elementary school. I started playing munchkin when bored and don't have any homework to do. It's great to pass the time. Great way to screw over friends as well.

A great card game is 13. You play it with 4 people. I've had a lot of fun with that one.

Comment

Working...
                              X