screen lag is driving me nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• screen lag is driving me nuts

i swear this game played better on my oldier/shittier computers. i keep experiencing screen lag, mostly a lot of jitter. it's making the game pretty much unplayable.

how the hell can i fix this?

system specs:

quad-core xeon
    4GB ram
    radeon hd 5770
    23" monitor
    win7 pro x64

game settings:

1920x1080 (32 bit color depth, 60hz refresh rate)
    weapon/status gauge are text
    energy bar is subtle
    kill/enter/leave messages are off
    transparent stats box and radar
    everything unchecked on graphics tab of options (everything is off in-game)
    all advanced options unchecked
    Last edited by Jason; 12-19-2011, 02:28 PM.
    jasonofabitch loves!!!!

i've messed around with various combinations of advanced options, but i can't seem to find that sweet spot that makes the game feel ultimately fluid. i tend to notice the most jitter when looking at walls or other ships moving around me.

i do not have any background processes running that would affect the continuum client, and let's face it... my system should be able to handle plenty of background tasks anyway.

what gives?
    jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

reinstall cont and stop messing around with advanced options, go back to 1280 resolution, you really telling us you have kill messages off like that does anything man newb alert

Comment

i'm not gonna play at 1280x1024 because i don't want to play windowed and if i play fullscreen, that res looks like shit after it gets stretched.

i included every setting i could possibly think of in the interest of being thorough.
        jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

how's that 8 bit color depth working for you?
          TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

thanks so much for all the helpful replies! you guys are awesome!
            jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

my 5570 wasn't too great with default settings when i played, the best option for me was to just check software emulation in the advanced options and not bother with anything else there, presumably these newfangled cards just don't give enough of a shit to run old 2d stuff smoothly
              Originally posted by Tone
              It is now time for the energy shift of the 7th root race to manifest on the 3D physical plane and uplift us back to 5D.
              Originally posted by the_paul
              Gargle battery acid fuckface
              Originally posted by Material Girl
              I tried downloading a soundcard

Comment

you could look at the sticky where stabwound has some fixes

on another note it's been a few years since i played on windows but i think check if your running flash animation broswer shit in the background used to actually impact TW on my ok pc and also try limiting the framerate, pretty sure i used to have a high fps but it would often very by alot (like 40% constantly changing) and the game would be jittery but limiting to 60fps made it smooth, think i also ended up doing software emulation
                In my world,
                I am King

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pressure Drop View Post
                  you could look at the sticky where stabwound has some fixes

on another note it's been a few years since i played on windows but i think check if your running flash animation broswer shit in the background used to actually impact TW on my ok pc and also try limiting the framerate, pretty sure i used to have a high fps but it would often very by alot (like 40% constantly changing) and the game would be jittery but limiting to 60fps made it smooth, think i also ended up doing software emulation
                  what do you currently play on? I can't play on my macbook pro because I'm still running OS 10.4.11, but I downloaded that mac app that somebody posted a while back on my gf's macbook and am having similar problems to jason: strong internet connection but the screen lag is unplayable.

unless you're not on mac, in which case nevermind.

Comment

i'll give that a shot, ph. i have tried software emulation before, but not solely that option.

it's weird, though. continuum is the only game that will make my 5770's fan go into overdrive and scream bloody murder. any other games (although they're all 3d) don't do this. and then even when i've checked software emulation in the past, the fan still whines like a bitch. i'm wondering if continuum won't kick into software emulation mode even with the option checked due to my OS being 64 bit or maybe it's just a more general windows 7 incompatibility. i don't run the client as an admin, nor do i run it in any of the various compatibility modes.
                    jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

There's also like disable frame clipping or something like that. Resolution and color depth are some of the biggest single contributors, on really old computers everybody had CRT monitors and only ran like 1024x768, way fewer pixels to show on the screen
                      USA WORLD CHAMPS

Comment

It could be a DirectX issue, make sure that you have the latest Direct X drivers. You can check DirectX versions and run a DirectX diagnostics by using the built-in tool in XP/Win7. To start the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, click Start, click Run, type dxdiag in the Open box, and then click OK. Frankly since you are having issues, I would go ahead and downlaod/install the latest drivers even if the diagnostics check out ok.
                        eph

Comment

Originally posted by Scurvy View Post
                          what do you currently play on? I can't play on my macbook pro because I'm still running OS 10.4.11, but I downloaded that mac app that somebody posted a while back on my gf's macbook and am having similar problems to jason: strong internet connection but the screen lag is unplayable.

unless you're not on mac, in which case nevermind.
                          currently i dont play for the last year

but for the year or so before that had switched as well and i was playing on linux using wine - needed a patched file to get it working correctly but there are instructions on this forum lurking somewhere for that i think
                          In my world,
                          I am King

sigpic

Comment

use windows, problem solved

Comment

the only solution that's worked for me is to force every single thing into system memory. so i have all the boxes checked on advanced options minus framerate limit and disable clipping.

it's a pretty bad solution, and probably overkill, but no more screen lag!
                              jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X