atn: pavement, veloce, or anyone who's had chronic C2S loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• atn: pavement, veloce, or anyone who's had chronic C2S loss

within the past 48 hours suddenly my connection has slowed somewhat but it's not latent lag, it's just incredibly lossy. on top of that my signal intermittently cuts out.

anyone have any ideas? for starters - i still barely understand "lossy" versus "latency", so maybe an explanation might let me find a potential cause/solution.

i've never had this sort of lag before and it's very peculiar. while SS will put me in spectator mode, other games have been running crazy - for instance, in World of Tanks, when the lag acts up, everyone else's vehicles remain lag-free, roaming around as usual, while my tank siezes up, wiggles, and/or starts spinning in a circle.

halp if possible, if its smething i just have to wait-it-out on, then i'd like to know that as well
    NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Welcome to my life. There's nothing I know of that I can do. It's sort of amusing though, since I have a 50mbit up and down. Whenever I do a traceroute, it's always one of the hopone , or recently the virgina pipe that fucks with me. Right now I'm looking at a line with 96% packet loss. Meh, believe it or not, you get used to it.

Comment

if the ploss has appeared suddenly and you haven't had recurring issues with it in the past, i'd venture a guess and say that there's probably either an issue with your isp or an issue with one of the more major "hops" between you and the server(s) you play on. so yeah, what i'm saying is that if you don't normally have much in the way of ploss issues, this is a wait-it-out situation.
      jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

Things to consider

-Stop using wireless. If you are using wireless and must continue, change the band your signal transmits on because the default may be quite busy with traffic from other devices sending signals in your area on the same band. Connect directly as a test just to see if it's an issue. I have a 60mb/s down/8mb/s up line and can only get between 4mb/s-12mb/s down using wireless (i've tried 2 different routers) even if my device is right next to the router. connecting directly i get the full 60/8

-Change DNS (perhaps to Google's DNS). http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html

I've been using the google DNS for about a year now and it's given me no issues at all.
        Last edited by Jason; 03-09-2012, 05:02 PM. Reason: link was fucked up

Comment

ive never used wireless as we speak i have a 50ft ethernet cable running from a router to my room.

in the past 24 hours ive noticed that the C2S, which was been running at 10-30% loss, dipped down overnight to 0.5-3% loss, but since ive woken up its been climbing steadily. so i am starting to think that it might just be a congestion/traffic issue.
          NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

I would suggest changing DNS, resetting your IP Address, or how about calling your internet provider?
            X'terrania> if superman and jesus had a child, that would be you valate.

Comment

latency = you mail a letter to your friend, they get it a month later
              loss = you mail a letter to your friend, they never get it
              The above text is a personal opinion of an individual and is not representative of the statements or opinions of Trench Wars or Trench Wars staff.

SSCJ Distension Owner
              SSCU Trench Wars Developer

Last edited by Shaddowknight; Today at 05:49 AM. Reason: Much racism. So hate. Such ban. Wow.

Comment

yo no doubt i have an advantage on lag down in baton rouge.. its weird, i get hit by a warbird bullet, and 1/10 times i survive? like my computer registers it hit me, but then it only brings me down to 50-100 energy.. people say i eat but it hit on my screen, just didnt kill me.. i dont use wireless and it is the same computer i have always used, just down in baton rouge i guess my internet is a little drunk? i always feel that someone should have shot me but on my screen they dont shoot, but it also sometimes works against me.. there have been times that i have shot the best spids in the game in the face 5 times, then they have enough energy to shoot me once-twice to kill me (while not dying).. i really dont give a shit if you fix it or not, some games it helps me, some games it doesnt. #heist4forfeitingthewholeseasonbecausetheyhaveache ater #banpave #jeromeinstalledahackonpavement'scomputerandpaveme ntdoesntknow #racismagainstjerome #creampies #everygoodsubspaceplayerhasquestionablelag #lagmakesyougoodatsubspace
                Mythril> shayde why you gayer than aids now?

Comment

This just in:

I am also very plossy but with no ping delays. This just started something like 2-3 days ago, but I thought it was a fluke. Which 1 of you gave me this plague? Identify yourself.

Since I have absolutely zero interest and time in figuring out the reason for the ploss, I will likely sit here and just keep complaining about it until it gets fixed.

#BbqTatoSwag

Originally posted by Cojafoji View Post
                  Right now I'm looking at a line with 96% packet loss. Meh, believe it or not, you get used to it.
                  That you brokenfist?
                  4:BigKing> xD
                  4:Best> i'm leaving chat
                  4:BigKing> what did i do???
                  4:Best> told you repeatedly you cannot use that emoji anymore
                  4:BigKing> ???? why though
                  4:Best> you're 6'4 and black...you can't use emojis like that
                  4:BigKing> xD

Comment

I'm not sure I could help too much for a wired connection. Generally though, I think there's really only a handful of possibilities.

Local issues I had, had to do with my wireless adapters for my PC. The speed was not so much an issue as the stability was. My latency would stay pretty stable and within limits but my spikes (occurring every 1-2 minutes or so) would put me into a funk so-to-speak for about 5-10 seconds and then I'd get specced.

I used both a wireless USB adapter and wireless card that plugged into a PCI slot on the mobo. Both were a bit outdated. I updated to a newer and more expensive wireless PCI adapter and that keeps my connection stable.

Obviously if you have other people sharing the internet, that can be problematic. I believe it was fit of rage who told me that the bottleneck is typically the actual modem and not the router. If you have a roommate streaming movies, another playing 360 online, I think you may find (depending on the connection speeds from your ISP) that continuum might lag you out every so often.

I think a consistent C2S though is probably that the modem is getting used up by someone else, possibly someone who is torrenting if you are living with roommates. I think yes, a lot of neighbors with heavy use can cause issues but I would more start looking in my immediate surroundings rather than outside of my walls.
                    2:Sauro> dp i placed 4th today at yugoh tournament
                    Sauro> i traded e tele for 2 dark bribes and a primy today dp

2:Sauro> IM REARRAGNGING MYD ECK WTF
                    Go go go!

Sauro> DARK MAGICIAN GIRL SHOWS CLEAVAGE OK
                    Sauro> my fav card

1:Mootland Farmer> Duel, want to stfu please? Real m,en talking about Yu-Gi-Oh here
                    1:Sauro> yea dp

1:Sauro> i love dick

Comment

I have the same problem started Wednesday, the game has been spiking and kicking me out.At other times it had 1500ms and the ships would run around like crazy but it wouldn't disconnect me.
                      This is a pingtest result http://www.pingtest.net/result/58661615.png , it shows no packet loss.
                      I'm not sure 100% sure if it's the server or it's me, I've been having both s2c and c2s.

Comment

4300 miles from brooklyn? where the hell do you live? moscow or something?
                        jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

Eastern Europe.

Comment

hah, pretty decent guess!
                            jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

Yeah, it says Hrvatska (Croatia) in the result. :P

Comment

Working...
                              X