Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to Hire Bot/Website Dev Help?

Hey everyone,

Yea, I'm back at the whining again. For those of you avid forum readers, you've seen a couple of threads with me ranting about different aspects of TW that need major changes, and ASAP. To summarize, due to the lack of available coders, and the lack of time our current coders have, nothing has been done to make this zone as good as it can be. Let's face it, there are many other zones in subspace that have better features, bots, and websites than we do, with like a quarter of our population. An example is Chaos Zone, with sophisticated bots that take so many stats that it's almost impossible not to stay interested (stuff like ELO, damage dealt, great ladders, etc.). We've spent about 2 freaking years awaiting this new 'great site', but wthell is the status? There's an update every 3 months with "it's going great now, it's a week or two away from launching!!".

It's easy to hate on the current lack of progress from the ECT, and that's not my intention at all. My intention, is rather, to see what you, the general public think on spending money on developing our bots and websites with the use of some of the money raised. Let's face it, it's been a couple years, and it hasn't been used, minus the weekend money events. As a winner of one of these events, I'll honestly say I'd much rather use this money on great features in TW to keep competition alive, rather than spend it loosely on these events.

In case of some of you guys are wondering what type of things I keep talking about when I say 'developing bots', here are some ideas (plus your own!):

Elimbot obviously needs work. Players are less and less interested in this, and with a more sophisticated bot, we could actually see who the best elim player really is, on a monthly basis. The current system simply sucks, and it limits players from playing multiple games. One of the things staffers keep complaining about is; what can we do without people coding this, or that? Well, this would open up the opportunity for an elim team, with the possibility of a monthly or bi-monthly elim ladder, along with a day where the top x elim'ers play each month/two to see who the best elim player is (with the possibilty of their names on A1/$). An opportunity opened up due to hiring someone to actually do this. Keep in mind, I presented this idea a few months ago, and sent it to the right people (head of bot DEV, multiple 'bigtime' staffers). In fact, this was made specifically to help the cause: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...3VU9qTFE#gid=0

TWD Bots/Website development. Multiple ideas have been presented, including individualized stats/ladders (similar to the elim one presented), a +/- feature, dueling your own squad, and a whole bunch of other stuff that you guys have thought of in the TWD thread. This to me is pretty huge, since TWD is the biggest league in Trench Wars, and there's no real individual-based system to keep people a) playing twd's, and b) actually trying in twd. Let's face it, people in this game need ego-stroking, and what better way to motivate these headbanders with a legitimate system? Again, a monthly/bi-monthly ladder would work wonders. If we are willing to pay someone to do code some of these features for us, imagine the difference/impact it'd make on the zone. Just like the elim system, this was presented to the appropriate people (bot dev, head of TWD) 3-4 months ago, and still, absolutely no progress. Can be seen here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...dFQmV5OVE#gid=

2v2 Bot/Website Development. This is actually one of the things that's looking decent I guess, since oooo and Reckful are doing their best despite limited resources. But even they admit they're extremely limited due to the lack of coding and predictability of when things can and will be done. To quote the legendary iNfRaReD:
    2v2 needs a ladder/roster system.
    2v2 "squads" with roster cap of 4 or 5 people? This allows duel2 squad ladders without limiting teams to two set players (increase activity).
    The idea is to get a 2v2 league going after TWL playoffs are over, similar to TWL, where teams would have a chance to make rosters just like TWL, and play games on weekends, again, just like TWL. Seems simple enough, and frankly it is, so a coder wouldn't take too much to do something like this.

Edit: TWL Website kinks also need to be fixed, asap (before at least next TWL).

There's a few other things, but imo these are the 3-4 major areas we should focus on. The point is though, yes, I understand that coding is a delicate matter and people who can be trusted are the ones who need to be doing it, but you know what... enough is enough. Time to get some outside help, and get crap done. I'm willing to help as much as I can, but I like other people, are limited due to lack OF CODERS.

tl;dr TW is limited by lack of coders, lots to do and nothing has been done for the past couple years, time to hire some outside help.

What do you guys think? Vote in the poll and post if you have some opinions on the matter, or even some ideas on what else needs to be done.
    Yes, I think lack of coders hurts this zone.
    80.56%
    No, we're fine with what we've got.
    19.44%
    Last edited by Riverside; 04-03-2012, 01:48 AM.

Hire bot coders. Create awesome new content. I will come back if something interesting is made. If something interesting isn't made, then, I guess there's no reason for me to come back. Right?

Comment

riverside wants zh so bad

but he does have a point.

the twl website/bots has been "in the works" since 2003. the one strike made is probably the best so far, but the bots were laggy/shitty. so i'm not expecting anything to be done. either way, when diablo 3 comes out this zone will prolly be reduced to what svs is now, where people only log on for an hour to play the league game.

don't lose sleep over this, river. need you in shape for playoffs.
      TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

Agree 100%, but keep in mind that the average age of the "leaders" in this zone is like 12, so logic doesn't always influence as much as it should. Also want to throw in another thing that would be great to have with some coding.... TWLM. Managing was and always has been my favorite part of TWL and I really miss it. Hope that book you just wrote gets some attention and a valid response.
        1:wbm> i squint when im angry

Originally posted by mtine
        Yo LF, u'll never get me. Trust me, SUCK MY CUNT U MADAFAKING IDIOT!!! Cum at me bro. God, ur even worse than some fags irl's history. commit suicide since u aren't even worth 5 penises. CAN'T TOUCH DIS!!! Jeez man. ALL UR MOFOS THAT U RULE IN THIS GAME SHUD RLY SEE HOW UGLY U R IRL AND HOW DUMB AS WELL. Oh, 1 last thing: CAN'T TOUCH THIS ASS.

Comment

Originally posted by LF View Post
          Agree 100%, but keep in mind that the average age of the "leaders" in this zone is like 12, so logic doesn't always influence as much as it should. Also want to throw in another thing that would be great to have with some coding.... TWLM. Managing was and always has been my favorite part of TWL and I really miss it. Hope that book you just wrote gets some attention and a valid response.
          But.. it won't.
          Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

i think that theres SO MANY nice ideas here, and a ton of bullshit ideas.
            i agree on what you say, because a lot of the good ideas, when implemented, could make the zone more enjoyable. right now, i think that a lot of the nice ideas just get forgotten due to the lack of coders, thats sad.
            but then again, i understand when people arent willing to code a shitload for nothing but (if even) a handful "thank yous" - if u get what i mean. but yeah we're sitting on a bunch of money, it could very well be spent here as well as in advertising finally.

Comment

^ wat happened 2 lordkat and his 50 newbs that u brought in
              1:Rasaq> i scrub really hard with toilet paper so little pieces of it get stuck to my anus hair and then later on when im watching tv i like to pull them out slowly because it feels pretty good

1:Mutalisk> heard that n1111ga okyo got some DSLs

Paradise> No names but there's actually a black man in the arena right now.

Jones> MAAAAN1111GA UCHIHA

Paradise> NO NAMES. NOT A SINGLE NAME.....but 3/6 of the players on Force are of a certain descent. I will not go any further.

Comment

voted no for the sake of argument
                5:LF> no the worst texts ever are having to explain to your gf why "megaman89" is demanding that I be somewhere at 3PM on a sunday

5:fiS> you're lying, my mom doesnt even know how to poke

pinkSTAR has been released from the kitchen long enough to serve you ?go elame3 -Reckful
                1:Cig <er>> ROFL
                1:fiS> LOL
                1:MAGI KOZ> hey population just spiked in here</er>

Comment

Although these are good ideas it shouldn't be a priority. It just makes it nicer for people that already play twd. Should focus on getting more pub players into twd, like getting a twd bot in pub so it's easier to register or registering for squads straight through twdbot. Pub bux for winning/mvping matches. Maybe staff setting up two pub squads so they can play eachother or don't know if this is possible but a 3/4/5 team dd/jd map in pub with the pub squads so other people can see how its done. Iunno, just the direction I think we should take. yung humma out

Comment

Agree with wage
                    1:CrazyKillah> oder if i olny knew u irl u would be dead and i would be in jail

menomena> did you get to see the end of the steelers greenbay game though
                    JAMAL> yeah you dumb fat faggot, was good ending

1:Cape> Why did u axe req
                    1:cripple> I'm very religious, and my new years revolution was to make this squad a better one, so I kept with my resolution and axed req.
                    http://big-dicked.mybrute.com/

Comment

if i got paid even semi-decent money, i'd put one hell of a lot more effort into helping out with web dev. the naked truth of the matter is simply that i don't have enough free time outside of my day job to warrant devoting countless unpaid hours to this game anymore. it's just not worth it.

but...

jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

hopefully this will fix that $0 in the dev column on donations page
                        The above text is a personal opinion of an individual and is not representative of the statements or opinions of Trench Wars or Trench Wars staff.

SSCJ Distension Owner
                        SSCU Trench Wars Developer

Last edited by Shaddowknight; Today at 05:49 AM. Reason: Much racism. So hate. Such ban. Wow.

Comment

but it won't fix that 0 population in distension!

ha ha ha !
                          Originally posted by Tone
                          It is now time for the energy shift of the 7th root race to manifest on the 3D physical plane and uplift us back to 5D.
                          Originally posted by the_paul
                          Gargle battery acid fuckface
                          Originally posted by Material Girl
                          I tried downloading a soundcard

Comment

Something tells me this faggot is going to try to get distension back in trenchwars somehow.
                            Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

I have a good friend who can take a look. Who has done the past work?

Comment

Working...
                              X