Killing my fun in pub.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shaddow <ZH> View Post
    lets face it: the TRUE issue is their bombs have a large range of instant-death and even more area damage
    the settings could be changed to make then more of a status effect unit rather than a death tank, lower area yet able to damage enemy ships systems
    this would make lt's less effective, yet not useless, and not ruin use usefulness of a base levi
    I almost forgot how great of a time it was when it was like this
    4:BigKing> xD
    4:Best> i'm leaving chat
    4:BigKing> what did i do???
    4:Best> told you repeatedly you cannot use that emoji anymore
    4:BigKing> ???? why though
    4:Best> you're 6'4 and black...you can't use emojis like that

Comment

cant tell if sarcasm... or reminiscing
      Former TW Staff

Comment

Hehe. I should have been more explicit.

It was a great time for me as a terr. I could actually survive lev bombs that were fairly close. Instead of now where I get blown to bits by a lev bomb almost 3/4 of my screen away. The really gay ones are the lev bombs that take big chunks of my terr energy and I didn't even see where the bomb landed...

oh well lots of whining, but I still pub a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by Shaddow <ZH> View Post
          lets face it: the TRUE issue is their bombs have a large range of instant-death and even more area damage
          the settings could be changed to make then more of a status effect unit rather than a death tank...
          Respectfully disagree. I think the issue at hand is not the power of the ship or even just the existence of private frequencies. It is that as the game population has grown smaller, good competitive base game are few and far between. Allowing private frequencies with a handful of players is not considerate of the pub game and the teamwork it represents. Pub is like group sex or an orgy, if you go into it with ‘the hell with everyone else I only care about my own fun’ you won’t get much action or get invited back. The very nature of pub is based upon teamwork and teamwork is about consideration of others. Allowing two player to climb into a private frequency LT and disrupt an hour long game competitive game is simply stupid. But the fact is that an hour long competitive game is exactly what attracts assholes to do this, flag room full of players concentrating on getting and holding the flag. Takes no skill, crushes the game, and certainly demoralizes any new players who are attracted to the pub arena in the first place.

And to answer the concern that just making private frequency LT illegal will not stop Levs from blasting their own team in the FR, this is true. But there are counter measures in place for handling that situation. It will happen but I don’t think that this requires massive changes to the game to resolve, it is a simple fix. The only thing I can think of that might be an issue is that staff would probably have to handle a few more ?cheater calls to deal with the teamkilling. Hopefully this isn’t the issue with implementing this solution to a growing problem.
          eph

Comment

Originally posted by Subterranean View Post
            Pinkstar obviously doesn't play pub because old levs destroy any chance of a fair game. I have played about 1/5th less than I usually would since this garbage change. If you can't tell, there have been no good pub basing games since this change has been made...

How is it fair that I can get killed a screen away by some newbie in a lev with horrible aim. This change has basically made lev bombs virtually unavoidable. Many people who actually play pub feel the same way, it is obvious. Pinkstar, people were already complaining of LTs being too powerful so you enhance their power - BRILLIANT!
            Bring back lev with emp if you want LTs. At least those bombs are actually avoidable. I honestly think pub has been more dead since the change, but it's hard to judge. And I agree, private freq LTs are annoying as hell especially when they need 6 or 7 helpers...

Comment

Originally posted by Subterranean View Post
              I honestly think pub has been more dead since the change, but it's hard to judge. And I agree, private freq LTs are annoying as hell especially when they need 6 or 7 helpers...
              I have also noticed pub has been silent recently. Dont know if this is the issue but definetly it doesnt help the activity.

Comment

Maybe its time for a smaller map and some pure pub action?

Personally, I feel that today's gamers want a long term goal. If we somehow implemented a level system into TW, that would help. Maybe as you level up you can unlock new ship colors or something cheesy like that.

Dazed and Confused.
                "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
                - Thomas Jefferson

sigpic

Comment

prediction: kthx comes in to bash this guy and cheese! via distensiongate

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

i can no longer comment on the current game but after reading this its the same argument that annoyed me when i first started playing that LT's are too overpowered and simply too destructive and shouldn't be allowed

the levi itself is crippled for a reason - it has immense power so it's slow as shit and has a retarded rotation rate. fair enough - couple it with the fastest ship in the game with portal ability and a shark + another levi or lanc mean this small priv freq can entirely ruin the fun of the majority and take a big team effort to hunt which still ruins the base game which is bullshit.

LT's should be a remnant for hosted events like warzone and the like or weekend events

attracting new players doesn't go hand in hand with an elitist element of Priv freq blowing the shit out of them - that is'nt going to get them hooked on good skills and into TWD/L

superlev etc would raise real money of course which is why i quit the game but i see a severe lack of the proper use raised by the $5000 or whatever it is.

lol giving up a point isn't my forte :P
                    Last edited by Pressure Drop; 08-02-2012, 07:27 PM.
                    In my world,
                    I am King

sigpic

Comment

wheres the tryharder
                      hes late
                      The above text is a personal opinion of an individual and is not representative of the statements or opinions of Trench Wars or Trench Wars staff.

SSCJ Distension Owner
                      SSCU Trench Wars Developer

Last edited by Shaddowknight; Today at 05:49 AM. Reason: Much racism. So hate. Such ban. Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Pressure Drop View Post
                        the levi itself is crippled for a reason - it has immense power so it's slow as shit and has a retarded rotation rate. fair enough - couple it with the fastest ship in the game with portal ability and a shark + another levi or lanc mean this small priv freq can entirely ruin the fun of the majority and take a big team effort to hunt which still ruins the base game which is bullshit.
                        A normal lt isnt even nearly as annoying as when you have a 7 players lt freq. theres little hope to kill that unless you get your whole freq into hunting it, and that wont happen until the lt has been harrassing pub for half an hour.

Could the private freq size be limited? 2 or 3?

This would also prevent people setting a freq same size as public freqs and dominate flagroom while freqs 0 and 1 fight each other in mid base.

Comment

How about you faggots stop crying and kill LT's like we used to back in the day. Also none of that leveling up faggot shit, tw pub isn't distension. You huge faggots.
                          Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Not enough people per freqs to be able to hunt them. 16 person freq cannot have an able crew in base when 4-5 people are chasing an LT. factor in the 8-10 pea-brains in spawn area, and you're left with a virtually dead base. And do you know how rare it is to even find a 16 person freq nowadays?

pointless.

reduce the damage of the lev, i'm sick of dying to lev bombs that are an entire screen away.

Comment

Originally posted by paradise! View Post
                              Not enough people per freqs to be able to hunt them. 16 person freq cannot have an able crew in base when 4-5 people are chasing an LT. factor in the 8-10 pea-brains in spawn area, and you're left with a virtually dead base. And do you know how rare it is to even find a 16 person freq nowadays?

pointless.

reduce the damage of the lev, i'm sick of dying to lev bombs that are an entire screen away.
                              Same thing I've said many times before. I'll elaborate again because that's what I do. Also, new arguments against LTs.

Incoming novel on why LTs are bad...

Say you're in a nice 12v12 pub vs pub game going on, which seems pretty average.

Then Jackass McJackasson and his buddies arrive and immediately go to a priv freq to begin LTing. It's not just an LT on that freq, of course, it's a whole army of lackeys repping and meatshielding anyone that tries to interfere.

Now you have maybe 5-7 privs dedicated to lobbing bombs at the 12v12 game going on. The pub freqs have a few options. Wonder which one is the best.

-- Ignore the LT.

Well, you can ignore the LT, but you can't ignore that big blue bomb that exploded half a screen away from you and killed you because you had low energy. And you were just going on a run to push the enemy freq out of the FR and win the game. In other words, a team that is unaffilated with the basing game just ruined it. Remember that the LT freq has no stake in the basing game at all and will kill anything near a bomb tube. Depending on who is nearby, a single LT bomb can erase the teamwork of an entire freq. And TW is based on teamwork, right? This option isn't attractive.

-- Hunt the LT alone.

This used to be at least somewhat feasible, back when LTs were generally alone. Ports and reps made it incredibly hard to kill even one LT, but one person could get a lucky shot or catch the LT off guard. Now, of course, when you have a shark repping away chasers and bullets and people sitting on the terr and pressing CTRL at anything that flies by, one person is never going to get through to an LT, unless it's a lucky shot in spawn right when the LT ports. So, hunting the LT alone doesn't work, and has never worked.

-- Gather a team to hunt the LT.

This option has the greatest chance of stopping the LT. The only real way to fight a team is to team up. It's certainly possible for a few people to team up and harrass an LT and his freq. However, what's the cost on the basing game? Before the LT arrived, you were in a 12v12 basing game. Now that some of your team is dedicated to chasing the LT, though, the game is 6v12. Only an extremely skilled team can beat a team twice its size, but you aren't going to find those kind of people in pub. Now your team is losing the game. Again, a team that is unaffilated with the basing game just ruined it.

Yet, you still can't kill that pesky LT! Why? Because the LT has so many advantages over the chasing team.

-1. The LT can just warp away. Antiwarp negates this, but the antiwarp radius is so small, and the spider so slow, that the AW has to be mounted on the chasing terr AND be in danger of being shot by the LT's guards. Eventually, the LT can fly around in open space outside of the AW radius and warp away anyway.

-2. The way that shark repels work in TW, a shark moving at high speed leaves behind a stationary repel that persists for a long duration. To throw off chasers, all a shark has to do is attach to the LT, deattach, and repel, within fractions of a second, something that the chasing terrier can't react to and still give chase to the LT. Depending on the situation, a shark could even sit on the LT and repel chasers. Obviously, of course, the shark can simply just sit on the LT and repel any bullet that even seems like it will come close.

-3. The way the bullet physics work, ships attached to the running LT can hit the pursuing terrier easier than ships attached to the pursuing terrier can hit the LT. The running LT fires bullets in the reverse direction of its travel, meaning that the bullets have high relative speed compared to the pursuing terrier. The pursuing team's bullets, on the other hand, only inherit the firing ship's speed + the normal bullet's speed. In other words, the running LT's weapons are much faster than the chasing terrier's weapons.

-4. Since the LT has a levi bomb, flying near walls and asteroids means that the LT can fire blue bombs at walls, asteroids, and at the chasers themselves, and kill them with relative ease. As shown in subpoint 3, it's very hard for chasers to dodge these bombs because the relative speed of the levi bomb is very fast.

-5. The LT freq's lackeys set up a screen of fire, preventing good chasing. The chasing freq has to contend with both the LT's reps and the shark's reps, and the LT's goons. It's already hard enough to hit a lone LT, but the LT's guards make it nigh impossible.

So even hunting the LT team with your own team won't work. There's one option left.

--Uninstall Continuum.

All joking aside, let's conisder the effect of LTs on pub. Unskilled levis earn money by pressing tab at people in base that are fighting and using teamwork. TW is built specifically on teamwork. When newbs download the game for the first time, they must first learn how the game works in the first place, then learn how to fly around, then learn how to fight, then learn how to work with a team, then learn effective tactics and strategy within a game.

TW already has the problem that newbs just bounce off the game when they download. But when they actually make an effort to learn the game and how to play it correctly in base, they die. They die over and over again to something they can't control: blue bombs. It's already unfeasible for even vets to combat LTs, so how are we supposed to think that newbs will be able to live with them? The newbs can hardly fight on a level playing field now because there are no newbs for them to fight against. How are newbs supposed to learn how to play TW when they die all the time, and all their progress is wasted, because one person wanted to sit around all day and press tab?

Continuum is just dead. There are virtually no more people downloading the game anymore, and most of the new players created are just aliases. There's been a lot of hollow talk about reviving Continuum with Facebook, ad campaigns, new websites, whatever. It's not going to do any good to advertise the game to more people when new people can't even get a start in the game to learn it right because they die to something that they can't combat. New players need to learn how to fly and fight in spiders. Yet, they see people flying around and killing them with literally no effort, and new players have literally no means of retaliation. That's no way to revitalize Continuum. It's having the opposite effect.

TLDR: LTs kill pub, remove them

Of course, no staff will do anything to fix LTs, apparently the status quo of repelling new players is just fine with them.
                              Last edited by MegamanEXE; 08-26-2012, 06:11 PM.

Comment

That is a really long post, I actually read it all too. afk

Help Promote TrenchWars - www.trenchwars.org/donations - www.trenchwars.org/donationsoverview

Comment

Working...
                                X