No announcement yet.

If I were SysOp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems like most people are concerned that the integrity of the basic aspect of pubbing (basing) is suffering. Here are a couple of ideas that could be implemented to increase the competition and organization of pub:

1) Limit javs per team (3), warbirds per team (2), lancs per team (2), terrs per team (2) and sharks per team (4) - Rest of the players are automatically added as spiders upon leaving spec, unless they choose to be a jav or warbird (see second point). Not only will this relieve the clutter in flagroom, it will enable pubbers to experience what basing is supposed to be. Rather than pub being a really unorganized shell of competitive basing, this could add some organization to the fundamentals of the team dynamics for teams that are too new to the zone to organize themselves. It will limit TK'ing, limit terr deaths (so flagroom battles can last longer), and in theory should increase how long players stay alive to actually see the game being played without dying and having to re-attach (it's easier to stay alive with less specials).

2) Split the arena into: one area that has the base and a spawn area (a smaller spawn area than the current pub); one area that is a javs base; and one area that is an open, spawn-like area. Using the structure mentioned in my first point, let’s say a player wants to warbird. However, both basing freqs have 2 warbirds. If the player tries to enter the game from spec, they would be automatically warped to the open spawn-like area, where they can play in a ‘free for all.’ Sort of like what the average pubber does anyway when they don’t know that there’s even a base on the map. The player may have to wait for a spot to open up to actually play the basing match, but the time that this player spends in the dueling areas can give him or her a chance to fend for themselves, and get a feel for the ship before entering a real match. The bot can even be programmed to PM a player who had tried to enter as a warbird that a spot has opened up and they can take it. Maybe the player can even automate this, by typing !play to the bot when they are in warbird, programming the bot to instantly put them onto the pub basing freq once a spot opens up. Players should also be taught (through an automated message upon entering the game) that they are able to PM the bot a command that enables them to enter one of the respective dueling areas indefinitely, and allow them to switch back and forth (!switchgames).

3) Limit LevTerr hours during the day. Perhaps a 2 hour window, every day, during the hours that basing is beginning to die down. That way players will still be actively pursuing the base, but the game won’t be “serious” enough for them to care that a lev is bombing them over and over.

There have been some great ideas in this thread, staff really should take them seriously.

Comment

Kthx laying the hammer down. I agree with all his points.

Secondly this whole scared of other staffers concept is new to me. I haven't been on staff but seriously? You can't voice your opinion on an online 2D game? You guys a bunch of fukin pussies if you can't. Who gives a fuk if you are taken of staff. Not the end of the world. This America so speak on!
      - You need people like me. So you can point your finger and say that's the bad guy.

Comment

ive only been on for a few months but ive never felt i needed to be afraid to voice my opinion.. i do it plenty....sometimes its encouraged and asked.....

could be the way some people go about it too?? some people are like "do this now" rather then contribute to a discussion... but that goes for players and staff methinks...

i realize some players will always have a hate on for staff for whatever reason... and thats fine.. theres plenty of players out there that show alot of love and recognize some of the staff that works hard too...

in the end.. most want to try to help make the game a better place and help provide fun for all... unfortunately you just cant keep everyone satisfied ever.... lol.. even if you try
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Comment

I agree with some of the stuff for pub, but having to go to a safe to buy items means you end your own killstreak, Jessup.

I'd like to point out when I first started this game, I was strictly pub for 2 months then stopped playing for almost a year. I had no clue that there were other arenas simply because I didn't pay the alerts any attention because I ignored the green spam of help messages.

Including Elims and Dueling areans in with the pub arena would be a great idea. Would keep the public population high. Also, throw in pub bucks for winning them. I've recommended this a couple of times for TWD and earning pub bucks for winning games, or maybe even personal stats.

Comment

The wbduel/javduel/elim arenas could plaisibly fit in pub, but they would likely need to be combined into one with a little redesign. Also recoding the elim bot to work in pub would hopefully solve the issue where it keeps dieing. If the arena messages were instead generally limited to spec freq/playing teams' freqs, it wouldnt spam pub chat any more than the current elim messages and would likely be fine.Again the issue pops up of WHO will do this coding, as dev team can be pretty sparse at times. Also, as eph points out all the time, we need to think if adding this junk to pub is actually going to be helpful, or annoying stuff thats just in the way of actually enjoying pub.
            Former TW Staff

Comment

Just as an FYI, if you need someone to code this, I can volunteer. I know the code base is written in Java. It may take some time depending on my availability but I can get her done.
              - You need people like me. So you can point your finger and say that's the bad guy.

Comment

Working...
              X