If I were SysOp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I were SysOp

The following is what I would do if I was a Sysop in this zone, not saying I want or expect the position but maybe it will be a good guidline for our current upper staffers on how to fix this zone. Mixed in will also be some ideas for the community to be able to help fix the game as well from within.

Distension -

First off I just want to say that I know that I am probably this events biggest hater so I am trying to make it more fair while keeping the game fun for everyone else. Having three prime-time slots during the week is just flat out too much, if we end up getting lots of new players entering our pub, perhaps after work or school it will be during this game, and they will see an empty public arena.

My suggestion is simple, during peak hours public arena and twd should be prospering. Distension on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday needs to change from 5-7pm to two two hour slots between 1-3 and 9-11. That gives distension players an extra two hours a day to play, gives both Europe and America their own two hour timeslot and leaves the peak TW time open for new players to enjoy a full pub. On weekends I suggest keeping 2-4 but also adding a 10-12 slot on Sundays on non-TWL weekends.

All together this will add quite a few hours of distension for the people who enjoy it and I think is a fair trade-off for not having it run during peak time. The only other thing I would change about it would be to remove the distension periodic message as it appears too much and perhaps change it to something similar to base as in making it advert for the event at the start of a new distension round as long as it has been more than 15 minutes.

Public -

I think we all agree there is a problem with public arenas, the settings, the players, and the staffers. My first order of business would be to absolutely ban levi-terring while on a staff name, it causes strife between players and staffers and makes staff seem like douchebags when in public the players should be seeing a respectable staffing group who are there to help them.

As far as ship settings, the one pixel weasel is the worst thing thats ever happened to basing, it should be changed back to its original settings of having cloak and stealth but being a normal size. There is nothing more obnoxious than having three or four cloakers constantly entering the base from the one pixel holes to try to take pot shots at the flag and/or terriers. They need to be re-designed or simple changed back. As far as levis I have been thinking about this for awhile and I think the best solution would be to make the attach bounty for levis as high as 100-125. Sure leviterrs could still green their levis but it would take much longer and would probably make LT's quit after dying a few times instead of greening to 20 and starting again after 15 seconds.

Annoying players.. I think we have all been forced to sit around with tower spamming his garbage or other players, I think the solution to this is simple. New players aren't going to understand commands like ?ignore or know how to add players permanently to their ignore.txt. We need to instigate a polling system where players can vote to silence a player using a bot, and if enough votes are received a message is sent to staff so a mod can go and silence the player. This goes for macros and everything else as well as new players will be forced to sit around getting spammed and think thats how this entire zone is.

Add a section to the map next to the rules, with instructions on how to see the entire walkthrough for new players. Add things to the map such as what common pub abbreviations mean (FR, LT etc) a crude drawing of the map and where you are supposed to go, an explanation of what you are supposed to do in general, and a small description of each ship and what its uses are for basing or where it applies, dueling or jav dueling.

Staff -

The current staffing system is horrible, its been corrupted beyond repair and basically needs a complete rewrite to return it to its former glory. I have heard horror stories from former and current staffers about being afraid to say anything for fear of retribution for disagreeing with other staffers. I have seen upper staffers saying that staff chat isn't for talking and only for business, and I have had staffers having to PM me saying that they agree with me because of all the political bullshit that happens on staff these days.

My first step would be simple, anyone on staff has the right to his or her own opinion on matters and much like bringing a problem to your boss in real life about another boss they should be protected from retribution if they see someone doing something wrong and try to fix it. Anyone caught intimidating another staffer for these things would be instantly axed because not only is it just wrong to treat your subordinates like that but it shows that you are a shitty person who should not be in charge of someone or have a leadership position.

The quota system is garbage and it promotes the hosting of bot-ran events and it needs a major overhaul. Having a quota system in place is a good idea and it was originally good until you were able to host an entire event with the typing of three commands. To fix this I would suggest giving each event a certain number of points for hosting it. Also to fix the problem with starting events and going afk, anyone caught doing so should be axed instantly or demoted to ZH. If they don't have the time to sit for 15 minutes entertaining their audience they should be able to take the 5 seconds to answer a players question.

Staff chat should be fun, it should be entertaining and it should make people feel like they are actually missing out by not being a part of the fun of it, so no more frowning upon chatting in staff chat, its one of the benefits of being on staff, not one of the chats you are forced to have one because you are on staff.

Completely delete 95% of the !tells, don't allow ER's and ZH's to use the bot to send tells, make staffers talk to people and give them legitimate answers, if they don't know the answer they can find out from another staffer or player and will have that knowledge from then on. Nobody learns anything from sending a !tell, and staffers should actually be knowledge about THE GAME not the bot system.

As far as recruiting members of this zone to staff which I have heard has been a bit of a problem lately, I think having staffers acting professionally and gaining the respect of the zone back will go a very long way in making people want to join staff to help. When players see a bunch of unprofessional people doing very unprofessional jobs, hear bad stories about staff in general from former staffers in general it will be hard to recruit. Doing these things will eventually fix its image.

Leagues -

There are too many useless leagues out there, anyone who wants to start a league it seems like can actually start one. There needs to be a committee of people who aren't afraid to be mean and just tell people there is simple not enough interest in this zone for your idea, were sorry. We also need to cut down on several leagues, and with the ones we decide to keep we need to have them on a Calander that is promoted by staff. Several weeks before said league starts there needs to be periodic messages to promote it as well as forum posts to promote it.

TWL needs to start having a set start date at a better time, it seems like TWL happens twice a year these days and I am afraid that sooner or later people are going to tire of it, and it will lose some of its luster.

We need to have better communication between staffers/players about who is going to be doing articles and extras for TWL and offer as a benefit some extra titles. I am not talking about medals on the website but recognition for all the hard work people who write HoN, TWL articles, and the people who should be setting up and running TWLM do to make TWL that much better and that much more interesting. Put their name on the map under the winners as TWL Media, and let them become immortalized along with the players for something that makes this game better in general.

Players -

So the zone and staff is somewhat fixed and things are running better and more smoothly and now it is time for us to step up to the plate, and much like how shit falls down the mountain with upper staff to regular staff so it is the same with players and squads. People become successful captains in this zone for a reason, they possess inate abilities that not everyone has to get people to listen to them, respect them, and stick with them year after year. It is time to use some of this to get new players into playing in TWD and TWL. We complain year after year but still we do nothing, perhaps this could be the year if this game does get greenlit to finally do something.

My suggestion is for every captain of every squad in every league to promise to bring atleast five rookie players onto their roster and give them playing time in twd matches, when they inevetably play poorly and your squad jumps on their ass for losing a game tell your squad to shut the fuck up and tell the player if hes crying about it to man up. Tell them that this is how they get treated because they are a part of something good and everyone expects other members of the squad to perform well and try hard to make their own squad better. So you might lose a few more matches but who the fuck cares.. we all know its nearly fucking impossible for any decent squad to not qualify for TWL which brings me to my next point.

On top of this we need to stop stacking teams, this zone needs competition in its main league and its honestly fucking ridiculous to have a squad with a TWL bench better than 6/10 of the other squads starting five. We need to fix this shit instead of expecting staff to set some rule to force us to switch. We aren't children and most of us love this game for one reason or another. You guys know who you are.. start a squad and create your own core of players, play together for awhile, recruit talent from wbduel and pub, get some entertaining people for your chat and start your own dynasty.

Overall -

The main point here is for players and staffers to come together to do things to fix this zone, to make it what it once was during its golden age minus the population for now. If we don't solve some of these problems it doesn't matter if we get greenlit or not because its fucking done with anyways. Just remember to back when you first started.. what got you addicted to this game, what got you to play for 5 or 10 years? Remember that and share it with new players, tell them about some cool chats where people are funny as fuck, tell them about how its cool to get on a squad and start getting good enough to talk a little shit to the other guys finally, tell em about some of the badass events that get hosted or how you actually still get adrenaline from playing TWL in a 2d spaceship game. Anyways, late. -- Wark.
    Rabble Rabble Rabble

I still refuse to enter distention hate that arena
    5:LF> no the worst texts ever are having to explain to your gf why "megaman89" is demanding that I be somewhere at 3PM on a sunday

5:fiS> you're lying, my mom doesnt even know how to poke

pinkSTAR has been released from the kitchen long enough to serve you ?go elame3 -Reckful
    1:Cig <er>> ROFL
    1:fiS> LOL
    1:MAGI KOZ> hey population just spiked in here</er>

Comment

Originally posted by kthx View Post
      I have heard horror stories from former and current staffers about being afraid to say anything for fear of retribution for disagreeing with other staffers. I have seen upper staffers saying that staff chat isn't for talking and only for business, and I have had staffers having to PM me saying that they agree with me because of all the political bullshit that happens on staff these days.
      I clicked the link thinking "I wonder what wonderful words of wisdom he has to say about staff this time" and couldn't make it past the first paragraph.
      6:dald> my entire squad convinced me that thunder lost in all 3 playoffs
      6:dald> did like 5 help calls only to find out thunder didn't play any games

2:Bolt> im getting so many PMs its unbelievable
      2:Fludd> hack tmac
      2:tmac> go ahead and try bitch i got NORTON

Season 12 TWL-D/TWL-J champion (thunder)

Comment

Originally posted by Pub View Post
        I clicked the link thinking "I wonder what wonderful words of wisdom he has to say about staff this time" and couldn't make it past the first paragraph.
        Why not?

Comment

It's actually not a bad read. I personally agree with a number of his points. He's had the experience in things to know what's fucked up. Some of his solutions aren't optimal, but he's giving ideas and suggestions on changes instead of just complaining about stuff.
          Former TW Staff

Comment

-nvm am done trying to help thx to twdt, hope game dies
            Last edited by Oranje; 05-31-2013, 08:32 AM.

Comment

I don't understand the the duel system in pub and having a ?go duel in another arena and then having ?go tourny and then having ?go elim

too many elim arenas. Just make it all into pub. Make the map bigger and shit. I know there's space in that blackness beyond the rocks.
              sigpic
              All good things must come to an end.

Comment

Lots of opinions kthx and some interesting ideas. I never have been a big distention fan myself. Didn't we all agree to not play that game in a vote almost 2 years ago as a community? I wouldn't mind it hosted for short bits I suppose, wasn't there some issue though that it was taxing the server. I sure have had tons of eats recently..wondered if it is related to it.

As much as I love Lev terring, I do agree it's ruining the basing aspect of pub. The !buy system is making the game a bit silly too imo. Really cool setup with the pub bux whoever made it but it's a bit too powerful lol. I like the dueling for money part. When I started you had to go to safe to buy and it made less of an impact on general gameplay. I do have macros set to buy now but only because everyone else does. I never thought it made the game more competitive though.. it's basically legal hacks. This wild spending and buying for prizes is not really what trench wars was supposed to be imho. X's are pretty darn powerful too.. the tiny one isn't all bad though, I think it should have no multifire and the recharge rate should be way slower. Terrs being able to buy bursts and ports so often is well .. lol , makes me forget how real basing is, Levterrs play into this wild spending on bux too. repels constantly make it so easy to stay alive, same with ports.

Guess I'll just throw my opinions out real quick on what to do. 1)Separate pub Levterr arenas, or certain hours of day for them,2) x slower recharge no multifire, 3)all !buys in safe only, 4) distention hosted certain times. 5)The Lancaster was a good change to the "new" settings. 6)New players directed to training arenas for 15 minutes manned by staffer or trusted player to explain the basics, I'd like to make them pass a test before being allowed into pub. 7) Squads hire new players. GTL has 4 new players on and yes we let them play some too.

As far as staff goes, I still think many good staffers are out there. I've been helped many times when I asked.. so at least they are still out there. I honestly don't have enough insight to comment on any specifics relating to this. I am hoping I can become zh though to help new players ect.. just a few of my opinions ...
                TWDT-J CHAMPION POWER 2018
                TWDT-B CHAMPION POWER 2018
                TWDT TRIPLE CROWN MEMBER POWER 2018
                TSL TRIPLE CROWN FINALIST 2018
                TSLD CHAMPION 2018
                TSLB CHAMPION 2018

Comment

You're actually missing a pretty good read...

There's for sure some useful information in this post... I very much agree with him and what jessup wrote about pub. As far as the staff issues, all I can say is that I've felt comfortable saying whatever I felt like saying since I joined, no one has discouraged it.

Comment

Just so we are clear on the distension topic, the reason why distension was originally taken down years ago (from what I have heard first hand of those dealing with the situation) was that there wasn't any check in place for the bot when sending messages, so with all the prizes it was granting at the time, it would put stress on the server and recycle the server randomly, especially when there were other people somewhat "abusing" the bot (for lack of better terms). That's the only reason why it was removed, not because of community efforts to remove it or boycott it.

Just so you all know, when I first brought back distension (of which I was not a fan of the game in the first place - but I know plenty of people enjoyed it), I tested it out during multiple times of the week and kept moving the times around to find the perfect time of when it would not interfere with things and still have a loyal crowd. Distension did not, nor could not, have any effect on TWD, as I've been carefully watching that from the start. When I originally moved it to this time slot, TWD games were not being played, as they normally happen later in the day. Additionally, it was moved between this time and a 11 PM EST time long ago, and sorry to say, but TW is practically dead during that time. I would often wait up for about 30 mins trying to get a crowd for distension, but no one showed up, despite multiple advertisements and prior notice. So, if y'all really want to use distension as a scape goat for ruining TW, then by all means, go ahead and say so. However, I will say that I've made sure extra precautions and planning were put in place before these time slots were chosen. I have made sure that distension does not affect anyone's lag by both checking people's lags before and after distension starts running and operating. I have noticed no noticeable change to where it would warrant Distension being taken down (of which I would if it had shown).

It is not Distension that is killing TWD. What is killing leagues (mostly TWD, but I have noticed this effect in TWL since being back) is the lack of competition and lack of player base that TW used to have long ago. TWD was first instituted when we had a huge player base that wanted leagues year round for competition purposes, instead of the occasional TWL seasons.

This is all from my perspective, though. Things that I have noticed of how TW has changed since I've been gone.

However, I will say this, Kthx. You really do make some excellent points, some of which I have said for quite some time (especially about forcing cloakers to at least have regular size to become more balanced - amongst other things you mentioned).

I don't say this often, but... props to you.

Lefty
                    Last edited by Left_Eye; 05-29-2013, 08:43 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

I wasn't talking about TWD activity with distension, anyone in TWD knows there are inactive times etc, I am talking about pub being dead while distension is running during peak times, and the fact that new players will think badly of the zone if they enter and see nobody playing right off the bat.
                      Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Yeah Wark, you make some good points here and i agree with most of it.
                        The lev needs to be forced not to ruin the rest of the gameplay around the flag (higher bty seems like something worth trying). This is a problem that needs to fixed pretty quickly because it's ruining the rest of the game way too much.
                        Also, longer charging times for the weasel could work. I have to say that I like that the weasel sometimes makes a battle longer by sneaking in and grabbing flag but it's a bit too easy as it is now i figure.

I'm not sure where i stand with distension. I agree that I've seen it ruin pub a couple of times when it starts but at the same time so does hosted events sometimes. I know some players that sit around and chat until distension starts just because that's the only fun arena to play in..

About twd and twl, it's been said in this (and other) thread(s): The player base is not what it once was so these leagues needs to be adapted to a smaller player base.

ema

Comment

Like some of the ideas, particularly about staff being a bit too uptight about things. I used to be this way myself; I remember even dropping staff chat because I couldn't stand all the chatter, and people just had to PM me, heh. But at present it's the human relationships that keep us together. My votes:

• Get rid of the aura of terror and fear in staff, especially for new staff, and especially for trying new things or doing anything different from the old ways/by the book. It passes on to players. A good staff member knows when to play off the rule book and interpret by what's right rather than what the law states. (These are called precedents in law. :P) Example: when one TWL squad DDOS'd another's Teamspeak server and TW Staff ruled that it was fair play because it's not on TW, despite the fact that it completely disrupted the game and the squad was relying on TS for communication... It's like an American football team shorting out the radios in the other team's helmets and calling it fair play because they didn't like radios in helmets. Technology changes a game, and that was a horrible call and makes me ashamed to be staff, and the staff who made that call really should feel bad about who they are and what they represent; I don't give a damn if it was Priit Kasesalu himself. The law is not inherently right. What is right is right. Use your brain, please. Laws change with the times because they must. Only fools follow them into the grave.
                          • On Distension: I'd also like to see some more varied times, but trust that Lefty and other ops have figured it out for the most part. A lot of people really do just come to play Dist, so at times the populations are not "real." That is, someone might pub for a bit before Dist, then go there. Unless you ask every Dist player what they were doing before they came, and why, you don't really know how it's affecting population. IMO (and I'm biased) it's a net gain, and worth the dips in pub. Would love to see Euro-accessible Distension though. WOULD LOVE TO SEE EURO-ACCESSIBLE TRENCH WARS, GENERALLY!! (Boo lag limits! And boo res limits while I'm at it!) Also, Distension crashed the server previously in part due to what I now know to be sabotage by certain (mostly now-former) members of staff. (You know who you are and you'll have to live with that choice until you die!) So it's not really all that recycle-happy or demanding of the server anymore, especially after I rewrote some of the TWCore netcode and put in about 3-4 different internal queues inside Dist.
                          • Remove !buy from Levi if under 20 bty. Not only can !buy keep a Levi alive 10 times longer; it also makes greening a cinch, without any assistance from teammates. I'm also up for just increasing costs for Levis to buy their prizes.
                          • Add pubbux bonuses for Terrs (in base). Pay them both when they change to Terr and nobody else is Terr (receivable once an hour or so), + a bonus for every minute of time they spend in lower, mid or FR? + another bonus if they hold flag? Same for sharks? Any objections on this or can I just put it in and experiment with it until we all agree it's good?
                          • Pub voting: Even silencing on players I'm into. But especially for changing settings. Want pure? Vote it in. (Requires fewer votes to undo it though, as it's a restrictive setting.) Etc.
                          "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
                          -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

I would say no on voting to silence players

How many players are on (instert huge squad here)? How easy would it be to get one or two squads to join up and just fuck players over cause they can screw up the "majority" vote

They would do it, and we all know it.
                            Former TW Staff

Comment

re

Distension -

I like distension. Willing to give it up if it means more players from steam stick around. Would prefer not to.

Public -

Not sure I'd agree with preventing staff from LTing, really think it's LT's that are the problem, not the fact that it's staff playing them. Fixing the LT's should resolve any issues with staff playing them.

Lets be honest about the weasels, there really isn't any point to that ship in base. It's there for piddling around and being annoying, but that's about all it can accomplish.

Maybe there's something wrong with me, but I like Tower. Warn him, than silence him. Keeping new players takes priority over keeping his spam.

Adding a new section to A1 with how to get a complete walkthrough and such isn't a bad idea, but it relies on new players initially entering the zone in spectator mode, which is a pretty big assumption. It'd be more beneficial to make pub more newbie friendly but I have no idea how to accomplish this. I still think the best option is to have welcome bot send him a "type X for the tutorial" and have the bot warp them to a section of the map outside the main ring for a bit of how to.

Staff -

The current staffing system is horrible, its been corrupted beyond repair and basically needs a complete rewrite to return it to its former glory. I have heard horror stories from former and current staffers about being afraid to say anything for fear of retribution for disagreeing with other staffers. - I never felt this way, but I kinda let everyone else do their own thing and just hosted things.

I have seen upper staffers saying that staff chat isn't for talking and only for business - Yeah I've seen this too, think it's kinda dumb when some of the staffers that are good are getting burned out and are just trying to relax. If i remember right, last time I saw it we waited about 20 minutes than resumed with the random sidebar conversations.

The quota system is garbage and it promotes the hosting of bot-ran events and it needs a major overhaul. - I think the hosting of bot run events should be promoted. Again, a lot of the better staff do extremely well until they burn out and than just stop altogether. Bot run events are easier and allow the host to play as well. In addition, a lot of the more complex events can really only be run with bots (prodem). That said though, I agree that hosts shouldn't be starting an event than AFKing. Even if the event is completely run by the bot, I usually hung around to throw in random comments to keep those who had been specced engaged. I do think we need more events that are all inclusive though (IE You play from beginning to end, no matter how terrible you are)

Completely delete 95% of the !tells, don't allow ER's and ZH's to use the bot to send tells - Yeah more or less, though I wouldn't remove ER ability to use it. Many of the ERs have been around quite a while. The only tells I think i've ever legitimately used were lostpassword and !tell abuse, and even after using them I always sent a pm just to follow up in case the player had questions I could resolve. RoboHelp tells are, I think, a remnant of a much more prosperous era when staff was routinely bombarded with mundane questions that easily could be answered by parsing for keywords, and eliminating the majority of them would be the equivalent of a customer service call center eliminating touch-tone answering machines to direct calls.

Leagues -

I unabashedly don't care about leagues. I'd rather play zombies. Fight the good fight kthx!

Players -

Only part I'll comment on is the stacking of teams. A lot of these people have played together for years upon years. Convincing them to split up to enable more competition will likely take more doing than a forum post, and I'm not sure if it would be possible to enforce. This is kind of the purpose TWDT fulfills, but every year I capped a team for TWL, people I drafted for certain skills refused to play because they didn't like the team I drafted, or some other random excuse. While I agree the competition is somewhat non-existent, it's more or less our own doing there and I don't see it changing. Again this mostly applies to leagues, and my feelings towards leagues were previously mentioned above.

Overall -

Did I ramble aimlessly? Am tired, but post is too long to throw away, so here it is!

Comment

Working...
                              X