Weekly Basing Tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekly Basing Tournaments

In the earlier years of basing, Pure_Luck used to host "basing tournaments" every now and then. I feel that bringing these back, on a weekly basis at a specific time, could really bring some more activity to the zone. This is the layout:

8 captains (could be 4, if there aren't enough people) are put on private frequencies in ?go base. There is draft of the available players (1st captain --> 8th captain, then 8th captain --> 1st captain), and then team 1 plays team 8 in ?go base, team 2 plays team 7 in ?go base2, and so on. Teams are composed of 9 players (or 10 depending on the availability of people) so that each team has 1-2 subs. The winning team captain, and his or her lineup are given an advertisement/announcement for the rest of the day congratulating them.

I'm not sure what the current caliber of our developers is, but if a bot could be created to automate these matches that would be even better. That way, players can choose to play or not play by typing :BTBot:!playing, and captains can see a list of available players to choose from. In addition, statistics and leaderboards can be added to the TW homepage.

If this is carried out smoothly, it runs for at most an hour and 45 minutes. Assuming we gave staff that are willing to host it, assuming that it is successful, and assuming that there is adequate participation from the community, it would also increase overall activity of not just TW itself, but TWD.
    Yes, I would like there to be basing tournaments hosted weekly
    90.48%
    No, I wouldn't like it if there were basing tournaments hosted weekly
    9.52%

the way lefty hosted it worked too

Comment

Basing tourny > Distension

Something like was done this weekend is fine. many players were there and playing. (perhaps limit how many games players may participate in if it becomes stagnant with the same players every game, or limit 2 games in a row)
      Having the pubbux prize will not be sufficient for a weekly prize though, as theres only so much to do with it (dont flood the economy by dishing out 200k a week). Offering other prizes could entice more people to volunteer to cap and play.
      Former TW Staff

Comment

My only gripe with the way it was done yesterday is that it's solely based on the captains playing against the other captains. There's no pride, or loyalty, or leadership, because everyone is playing for themselves. I just think making teams that stick together for the length of the tournament can help people build ties and relationships for TWL and whatnot, and for future tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by Pressure View Post
          8 captains (could be 4, if there aren't enough people) are put on private frequencies in ?go base. There is draft of the available players (1st captain --> 8th captain, then 8th captain --> 1st captain), and then team 1 plays team 8 in ?go base, team 2 plays team 7 in ?go base2, and so on. Teams are composed of 9 players (or 10 depending on the availability of people) so that each team has 1-2 subs. The winning team captain, and his or her lineup are given an advertisement/announcement for the rest of the day congratulating them.
          It's called twdtb right now... just drafting each week instead of each season.
          Would probably be more successful, less stressful for staff, and more popular among players to be honest.
          Former TW Staff

Comment

Honestly, with the way it was done yesterday, people still were "loyal" to any captain they played for, whether he was their friend or not. Honestly, this may give people captain skills that they otherwise might not have had. Plus, to be quite honest, if it was done in any other way, there would not have been enough players. The max amount of people in the arena, including bots and afkers, was 36. It is not like 100 people would show up to just duel it out in basing. I opened up the captainship to anyone that wanted to partake in it, but only got 8 people signed up for it at the time. Anyone who wanted to take on that responsibility for choosing players could have done so. Plus, people got to play 8 basing games in a row, rather than just 1 (if they happened to lose right away). There are other avenues available in TW for building ties, such as TWD/TWL/TWDT/TWEL.

Realistically speaking, if it was done any other way, no matter who came along after, they wouldn't be given a spot to play. Whereas, under the way I did it yesterday, anyone that showed up, no matter if for the very last game, could still play if the captain picked them. Again, any person could have signed up as captain, no matter how newbie or veteran. I think this way is better considering the circumstances TW is in. The previous way worked with the population TW had then, but things have to adjust to how we have them now. For the current situation, I think the way that happened last night is the best way to promote competitive basing without having to be in a league.

As for the other concerns, WillBy and I already have discussed this (last night) of whether to make it weekly or every other week, so as not to wear it out and get old. So far, we may try it every Saturday night and do it the exact same way I did it last night: captain tournaments with top 3 captains winning prizes. Hell, if any staffer has the time, there could also be a double elimination captain tournament. It's not like it's difficult to put together on the whim. The whole point of this is to promote ?go base and allow anyone to play, just to keep it more active than how it normally is.

That's my $.02 anyway.
            sigpic

Comment

Also, unless they have been reverted, ?go base 2 has weasel settings that were tried out, so the option to add ship 6 would need to be removed on bot for that arena
              Former TW Staff

Comment

Left_Eye, while I agree it may be easier for staff or the community to do a "captain tournament," I can tell you first hand as someone who participated in the tournament yesterday that nothing about those basing matches made me feel like I was playing anything more than a meaningless ?go base game. While it was labeled a basing tournament, it was only the captains who were showcased and would care about winning. I could have won a game for oder, and then got picked by LF the game after. The player had no ties to the team or captain. I can guarantee you that most of the people playing didn't even know a tournament was going on. Aside from the captains having "brackets" where they advanced each time they won, the games were basically the same as any other ?go base games. If it were actually a labeled basing draft tournament, players would feel tied to the teams that picked them, and committed to winning, at least moreso than to a random captain who picked them. ?go base has become tacky, I haven't taken a single game seriously since it was played in private arenas. It was only in basing tournaments scattered over the years that I actually felt compelled to play a little bit harder, since typically the best terriers, sharks, and spiders that are online at that time will be facing off. Each time a player wins a tournament, their value is higher to future captains. Staff can take this idea and do whatever they want with it since, well, you will anyway. I'm telling you straight up, though, that if you do it the way it was done yesterday no one will notice a difference between the normal base games that go on and the tournament.

Comment

Not exactly true. There were a lot of people playing and watching. Terring for LF in the finals made me want to play better. It encourages players who arent as well known to perform better to show they can "hang with the big boys" and get noticed more than an average game of ?go base (where half the team isnt trying anyhow).

No, it's not twl, nor is it twdt or even twd, but it's a more casual setting to showcase skills for those who are semi-known but never considered top tier or higher skilled (hi).
                  I definiately feel like after that game I could have a better shot at getting playtime in twdt or playtime in other squads in twd if I were to join them.
                  Former TW Staff

Comment

I do think that on-the-spot team picking is the way to go. Tying 8-10 people down to just 1 team and expecting them to sit idle for up to an hour at a time between their own games is a lot to ask and pretty unrealistic. If you make it all the way to finals with 8+ teams playing you are looking at almost 2 hours of sitting idle and a maximum of 1 hour actual play time while only the captains actually get anything out of it. Just let people come and go as they please and add the best line possible at the time when each game starts.

I do have gripes though... Don't let just anybody captain. XxX_DragonBoy_XxX_316 shouldn't be able to show up, field a lineup straight out of pub and waste 15 minutes for everybody else thats trying to compete. Basically just use a little common sense. I'd also suggest finding a way to reward the players as well as the captains shouldn't be the only beneficiary. I managed to dish out more to my finals team than I actually kept for myself last night but it's probably safe to assume most captains wouldn't be expected to do the same. Thats all I got, was fun. Now I just need to update my forum sig.

2013 ?go base tournament captain of the year
                    1:wbm> i squint when im angry

Originally posted by mtine
                    Yo LF, u'll never get me. Trust me, SUCK MY CUNT U MADAFAKING IDIOT!!! Cum at me bro. God, ur even worse than some fags irl's history. commit suicide since u aren't even worth 5 penises. CAN'T TOUCH DIS!!! Jeez man. ALL UR MOFOS THAT U RULE IN THIS GAME SHUD RLY SEE HOW UGLY U R IRL AND HOW DUMB AS WELL. Oh, 1 last thing: CAN'T TOUCH THIS ASS.

Comment

Originally posted by LF View Post
                      I'd also suggest finding a way to reward the players as well as the captains shouldn't be the only beneficiary. I managed to dish out more to my finals team than I actually kept for myself last night but it's probably safe to assume most captains wouldn't be expected to do the same.
                      award for MVP each game
                      another award each game for one player of the winning captain's choosing. can be a player from either team, whomever they feel deserves it.
                      Former TW Staff

Comment

For those that care:

Because this is a captain-focused tournament, anyone can play that the captain chooses when their game is upon them, but only the captains are awarded the prizes. Anyone can sign up as captain, no matter how new to the game or how many years you have been around. The more people that sign up as captain, the longer the tournament will last. Each captain moves up the bracket for every game they win.

Prizes:
                        First Place Captain - 50,000 pubbux
                        Second Place Captain - 25,000 pubbux
                        Third Place Captain - 15,000 pubbux
                        MVPs of Each Game - 1,000 pubbux
                        Everyone Else - Zilch

The tournament will be held at 7 PM EDT on Saturday, July 6, 2013! If you would like to be a captain, be sure to show up at that time in ?go base! If this basing tournament turns out to be a big hit, we will continue to do more of these as times goes on!
                        Last edited by Left_Eye; 07-02-2013, 11:29 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LF View Post
                          I managed to dish out more to my finals team than I actually kept for myself last night but it's probably safe to assume most captains wouldn't be expected to do the same.
                          son of a bitch you gave me nothing

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Zeebu View Post
                            son of a bitch you gave me nothing
                            LF was kind enough to give me some of it. Maybe you just need to show more pnus...
                            Former TW Staff

Comment

Originally posted by Left_Eye View Post

The tournament will be held at 7 PM EDT on Saturday, July 6, 2013! If you would like to be a captain, be sure to show up at that time in ?go base! If this basing tournament turns out to be a big hit, we will continue to do more of these as times goes on!
                              7 PM EDT = like 1AM Europe time (Netherlands)
                              Can't it be like 1-2 hours earlier, or this just a american tournament..
                              Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Comment

Working...
                              X