No announcement yet.

Weekly Basing Tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well..... if y'all post really fast, I can make the appropriate adjustments. Would 5 or 6 PM EDT work better?
    sigpic

Comment

For euros, ofc the earliest.

Comment

Okay, I moved it up to 5 PM EDT on Saturday so Euros could take more part of it than if at the previous time.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Left_Eye View Post
          Okay, I moved it up to 5 PM EDT on Saturday so Euros could take more part of it than if at the previous time.
          time for an evening basing event too.
          8:I Hate Cookies> a gota dágua foi quando falei q eu tinha 38 anos e estava apaixonado por uma garota, mas a família dela n deixava agente namorar
          8:I Hate Cookies> aí quando todo mundo me apoiou falando q o amor supera tudo, falei q a garota tinha 12 anos
          8:I Hate Cookies> aí todos mudaram repentinamente de opinião falando q eu era um pedófilo
          8:AnImoL> esses amigos falsos
          8:SCHOPE NORRIS> o amor supera tudo. da até pra esperar a puberdade
          8:I Hate Cookies> sim... fiquei desiludido schope...

Comment

My thoughts on how things went on Saturday.

Firstly, big thanks to left_eye and willby (I think) for setting it all up. Whether I praise or criticize some things from yesterday, you managed to keep ?go base active all afternoon at a time where it would usually be dead, so there is clearly an interest for something like this to happen. It may not have been the finals that everyone was hoping for, but this is all a part of the learning process.

Some things I noticed when I was playing:

Having no set team will probably be how this kind of tournament can function best. It makes it so games can keep on going, even if we don't have as large of a turnout as we did yesterday. Hopefully, as time goes on, we can introduce more new players into the rotation, instead of people like me getting chosen everytime. I think having no set team could help with that.

This tournament took a very large chunk of time to complete. Yes, it was active the entire time it went on, but I feel like the quality of games diminished the further we got into everything. Some players are willing to participate, but playing base for ~5hrs has it toll on interest, or the willingness to perform well, at least for me. I am unsure, moving on, how we can reduce the time spent into a manageable timeframe that does not stagnate the overall performance of players. Maybe reducing the number of caps there are in the bracket, and letting people who didn't get to cap that week an opportunity to cap it the next time? I do like that everything finishes up on the same day, though.

I would hope that new players find this kind of tournament something fun that they are able to join, since it is really low pressure for them, and hopefully fun. It is, however, very hard for caps to find an incentive to start newbies over people they know are basers. I am not sure how an incentive could be made to choose people who've been sitting in spec for a while, or new faces, but it'd be nice to not face the same people over and over. Whether this will disrupt the enjoyment of playing, I don't know.

Minor things:

I understand the incentive of having an MVP reward, but my bias as a shark makes me sad that I can never get pubbux for playing.

I wish people could check their penises at the door before they play (arguing before/during/after a match does not make for entertaining basing). Though I suppose it would not be TW if there is no ~*dRaMA*~. It's a pretty large turnoff for people who aren't into it, or for new players to just see people bickering because they weren't put into javs. Not exactly anything the host can do for that, just an observation.
            duel pasta <ER>> i can lick my asshole

Mattey> put me in corch

zidane> go kf urself pork

Comment

overall time could be split by having base and base2 going simultaneously, having two brackets and then rejoin in base for finals.
              Former TW Staff

Comment

Originally posted by project dragon View Post
                Some things I noticed when I was playing:

Having no set team will probably be how this kind of tournament can function best. It makes it so games can keep on going, even if we don't have as large of a turnout as we did yesterday. Hopefully, as time goes on, we can introduce more new players into the rotation, instead of people like me getting chosen everytime. I think having no set team could help with that.

This tournament took a very large chunk of time to complete. Yes, it was active the entire time it went on, but I feel like the quality of games diminished the further we got into everything. Some players are willing to participate, but playing base for ~5hrs has it toll on interest, or the willingness to perform well, at least for me. I am unsure, moving on, how we can reduce the time spent into a manageable timeframe that does not stagnate the overall performance of players. Maybe reducing the number of caps there are in the bracket, and letting people who didn't get to cap that week an opportunity to cap it the next time? I do like that everything finishes up on the same day, though.

I would hope that new players find this kind of tournament something fun that they are able to join, since it is really low pressure for them, and hopefully fun. It is, however, very hard for caps to find an incentive to start newbies over people they know are basers. I am not sure how an incentive could be made to choose people who've been sitting in spec for a while, or new faces, but it'd be nice to not face the same people over and over. Whether this will disrupt the enjoyment of playing, I don't know.

Minor things:

I understand the incentive of having an MVP reward, but my bias as a shark makes me sad that I can never get pubbux for playing.

I wish people could check their penises at the door before they play (arguing before/during/after a match does not make for entertaining basing). Though I suppose it would not be TW if there is no ~*dRaMA*~. It's a pretty large turnoff for people who aren't into it, or for new players to just see people bickering because they weren't put into javs. Not exactly anything the host can do for that, just an observation.
                Well let me give you some insight into the way I see things. During the time of this tournament, ?go base had approximately 40 people during the entire time, but most of them, by the time it reached the peak at 40, were in the !notplaying sections because they were afk or just wanting to watch and not participate. You're completely right, and that's the main reason why I organized it this way, that the proper structure is to have people come and go as they please, while the only people that really should stick around are the captains. During these past two tournaments I saw is that we never had enough to have a full second ?go base going at the same time. We were always 3-4 short of a full 8v8 for a second game. Also, before anyone suggests otherwise, adverts did not help this either. I tried to gain interest that way, but we still were always short. The ?go base bot is not set up to have a way to limit how many times someone can play, and usually I did notice that people sat out over a few games because they were eventually tired of playing. Honestly, it really should be up to the players to decide that, not staff, on how many times someone has played too much. I believe it should be time that normal players step aside and make way for some that want to play but have more "newbie" statuses.

As for the quality of players or games, I really would have to disagree with that. A majority of the games were intense, and were full on battles, because people over the hours usually went on their merry way. I actually noticed a complete shift between those that play during more Euro-friendly times to those that play more during American times. Very few people, besides the captains that were a part of it (and even some that weren't captains but replaced captains that had to leave) were around the entire time.

The main feeling that I got is the tournament took too long for captains because we had 16 captains play, and by the time they got more and more playtime, that was nearing the end of the tournament. I've considered doing 8 captains but a double elimination style tournament, so each captain gets to play against another more often. We will see though of which works out the best. Personally, I'm surprised that WillBy and I were able to have ?go base going for about 5.5 hours straight with full 8v8 games. Many people that came on to see that said it reminded them of the "good ol' days." Don't really know how to fix those other inherent problems besides choosing captains that would like to just have a good time and choose a good mix of team. That is what this game is about. Yes, there are prizes to be had, but those pubbux prizes are really not what drives people to ?go base tournaments. It is more the competition aspect. Hell, do you know how hard it was to find 16 captains? When it first started, I barely found 8 captains (as that was a struggle). Most of the people showed up just to play, not captain or win prizes.

Overall, this is still in flux on how it should be set up, but it is well on its way. I really do not think the best option is to limit how many times someone can play. Maybe the best way to do it is to have a double elimination tournament so people can feel that extra cushion if they wanted to choose more "newbie" players for the first rounds as they can always get "serious" over the second brackets. Know what I mean? It would be impossible to keep track logistically of how many players someone has played for such a quick tournament that ends the same day. This isn't TWDT/TWL/TWEL, etc.

My sole and only purpose and focus is to have ?go base revitalized, as in my opinion back in the day, it was just as popular as elim was for competition and learning how to base efficiently and competitively.
                sigpic

Comment

I popped a long to this tournament having had no idea it was being run and got in for 3 games in a row before I headed off.....I really enjoyed it; my hats off to Lefty and willby for hosting it and whoever came up with the idea. It was great to be able to get some basing games in, and from where I was they all seemed pretty competitive, and it gave me an opportunity to get some basing play time as I love a good basing match but never really get to do it.
                  Maybe somewhere along the lines each cap has to pick 2 newbs to their spider line? Just an idea so we can incorporate newbs in more as twdt has completely failed to do that (obviously some pretence for what can be considered a newb has to be established first).
                  Also as for the mvp....how about at the end of each game every player in the arena or everyone that participated in that match can send a vote to the bot who their mvp is and the mvp gets $2000? This way sharks could be incorporated to the mvp system or someone who put in some huge moves. Just random ideas. Keep these tournaments going please.
                  TWL-J Season 11 Champion
                  TWL-J Season 21 Champion
                  TWL-B Season 21 Champion
                  TWL-B Season 22 Finalist
                  TWDT-D 2017 Champion
                  TWDT-J 2017 Champion

Comment

Would it be fair to have a quick poll for the MVP of the winning team then? My only fear in doing that is that when that happens, people will most likely vote for themselves.

We could definitely try it and see what happens. Sometimes people may surprise you.
                    sigpic

Comment

the past couple times ive seen lefty hosting these tournys has been pretty cool. havent seen that many people in ?go base in years and they were in there for hours. keep on keepin on.
                      J-B-Inc> i ddi that duel while doing coke of pawner moms ass

8:Riverside> UPDATE FOR WEEK 1:
                      8:Riverside> I go 4-60 and we lose 0-6

2:saiyan> [Dec 22 21:22] Rough: yo just came on to tell you, can you go on a real date with a girl (need to be specific here lol) instead of talking to claus on forums about calcs and formulas for a league? Happy holidays btw

Comment

Okay, just for those that are interested, the structure once again has changed up a bit, to modify what people have requested.

Everything will stay the same except for following:

Limit of 8 captains.
                        After every game, there will be a quick poll (30s or less) of everyone on the winning team to determine MVP (sharks felt left out and got many complaints on how they'd never get MVP).

We will see how this game goes on Saturday

It's at 6 PM EDT for those that care.

Lots of love,
                        Lefty
                        sigpic

Comment

so this is why ?go base wasn't dead

you're a miracle worker
                          NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

I would play this but I'm having weird issues with lag screen on Continuum. Everything else runs smoothly but with Continuum its hard to dodge and aim because of this spike whenever im on. My FPS is somewhere between 110-140 range, very average. My lag seems fine when i do ?lag but when I get in the game, different story. So ya bummer i am missing the action because of this issue would love to play some competitive basing more.

Great idea for this however. Would've been an awesome idea couple years ago though. Still good way to increase the activity in base which it sorely needed for a while. Glad someone stepped up
                            TWLD Champion 2014
                            TWDTB Champion 2013
                            TWDTB Champion 2016
                            TWDTB Champion 2017
                            TWDTB Champion 2019.. my last one.
                            -tj hazuki/hazuki :wub:

Comment

Working...
                            X