No announcement yet.

Open Letter - Tough Decisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most unfortunate Ricko... I would hope that communication about such will have improved since then. You should talk to beasty and poid again, they may also ask you to submit a staff app to be official andsuch though.
    Former TW Staff

Comment

Originally posted by Star Fox View Post
      [...]stop being faggots
      [...]That's about it.
      Star Fox so smart <3

Comment

So far I've only read the first posts, and I'm surprised that this is now up for topic. When I joined staff I pointed out how our population is "everywhere", just not focused, and we're having everything automated and that this isn't the way to go. Hence I agree with disabling the automated events during the week. Weekend maybe is something else. This has 3 effects, and one will be all the people complaining about it being gone who fail to see the reason. Another effect will be that our ERs or hosts will most likely be more motivated to host events (and be more responsible for a good variety!) because, which brings me to the third effect: events or other then "special" things will be more crowded.

Comment

have a single arena that always runs but continuously rotates between wbduel/javduel/base. no voting. just back to back to back in the same order. single population in one arena.

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

Look, I would join staff again but I don't have unlimited time anymore, I gave a family and kids. So basically I would only join if I was in a position to straight up immediately change and fix broken shit. No two week conversations and circlejerks about things. A lot would change and some people wouldn't like it but it would be for the best. I don't mind some kids talking shit and would follow through with my big picture for this zone. That's the only way I would accept a staff position. The zone can trust that I know best and let me do what I'm going to do or just refuse my demands and let the higher ups argue about what to do as the zone dies. I have my vision for the zone, take it or leave it, its a limited time offer before the zone implodes to the point where its not able to be fixed.
            Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

basically this zone is running an infrastructure that was designed to scale up in complexity in response to what was perceived as a steadily rising population. the general consensus of what people want to see happen here resembles 2000-2004 tw an awful lot. considering this is a conversation that we've been having forever, i sure hope this thread results in some real changes.

what drew me to tw was the killer hosts like kingz and milo who drove events on their personality alone, the bots they had were maybe good for spec locking and setting up team frequencies. tw's population was large enough to justify the crazy shit that happened like TWD, the new bots, and basically everything since like 2002. without writing an essay i'll sum it up by saying automation transformed tw but it's like you guys tried to automate the staff as well and it it led to all these bullshit "processes" and "public relations" and shit like that.

not saying devolve into tw anarchy or anything but i dunno, let some better <ER>'s have fun. free them from !zonerbot slavery and get rid of event queues and shit. get rid of quota and let good zh's get known by their work and quality responses and not their shift+F1 on it macro. biggest pet peeve when i was zh was always tanking the quota because i'd be in pub answering blue chat questions in blue chat before anyone had to even use ?help, meanwhile someone else rockin 200 calls because they rape the new player alert and spam a macro on how to use tutorial. just relax the rules a little bit, and if someone fucks up don't institute some new system or rule in response, just fire the dude and hire someone who isn't a jackass.

tl;dr: tao te ching, verse 57
              NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

(also i refuse to believe kthx is warkwark because he was like greatest <ER> of all time and kthx is 5-time Annux Award for Trollery champion)
                NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

Basically this is what I would do. I want to change something l, I talk to a few vets and upperstaff, we agree on something and we assign every member of Dev to it till its done. No second projects simultaneously no starting another discussion. One thing at a time hammered out back to back with no other random BS or distractions. Fix one problem and go to the next.
                  Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome Scuggs View Post
                    basically this zone is running an infrastructure that was designed to scale up in complexity in response to what was perceived as a steadily rising population. the general consensus of what people want to see happen here resembles 2000-2004 tw an awful lot. considering this is a conversation that we've been having forever, i sure hope this thread results in some real changes.

tl;dr: tao te ching, verse 57
                    I like what jerome said. Too much infrastructure. The tough part is downsizing that infrastructure without limiting players. I think rotating an arena between wbduel, javduel, and base is a terrible idea. People should be able to do what they want to do. If they can't we'll just lose vets as well as new players.

...and nice TL;DR

Comment

Kthx, then what is the first thing to tackle? Cause this thread is going in 20 different directions, and staffers that are in charge of their respective projects appear to be doing so pretty aimlessly with the exception of TWD. Depending on what you read here, redesigning a website, reducing infrastructure, creating a tutorial arena, and limiting hosted arenas are all being thrown out here. If you take something away that people like on this game, there are a certain percentage that will just stop playing. The math of 7 people in javduel and 7 people in ?go javs = 14 people in one or the other if you nix one doesnt follow.
                      I'm just a middle-aged, middle-eastern camel herdin' man
                      I got a 2 bedroom cave here in North Afghanistan

Comment

Demo required to set direction for whole staff.

Comment

Fix our mentality as a zone (if you're grabbing pubbers for ?go base you're doing it wrong, get your asses to pub and join the fight instead. want a "serious" game? bd. don't have enough? recruit some pubbers.)
                          lol..?

Fix our web presence so we don't have 10,000 orphaned pages and subsites for entire leagues that haven't had a news post in more than a year (this is a project)
                          Remove staff quota so less hosting in general, but more scheduled events on Friday nites/Saturdays so people know ahead of time that it's gonna happen
                          With these I agree on.
                          Season 12 champion TWLD / TWLJ
                          Season 18 champion TWLJ / TWLB
                          Season 19 champion TWLB (C)

Season 6 champion TWDT-J TWDT-B (C)
                          Season 10 champion TWDT-J (C)
                          Season 11 champion TWDT-B (C)
                          Season 13 champion TWDT-B (C)
                          Season 17 TRIPLE CROWN TWDT (C)

The winningest TWDT captain of all time

Comment

Working...