Pub settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shaddowknight View Post
    if it was only there for highly populated times, sure. But as it is now, sharks are already overpowered in small pub games (less than 10 players). On a personal level, I enjoy the random "chaos" shrap, it puts all sharks on tye same level with shrap, instead of skilled shrap-aimers having such an advantage.
    One of the bad things about the random shrap, in my opinion, is that it sometimes shows up differently on the screen for players, similar to how slow bursts that have been repped do not all show up in the same place for all the players. This makes a sharks job of repping shrap hard, since sometimes it won't show up on the screen for them, but will show up on someone else's screen and kill them.

I think that if set shrap were to be placed in pubs, the "skill" level of people who know shrap shot would deminish, once everyone gets used to it, just like how terrs in twbd can now position themselves in safe positions if they know the number of shrap on the bombs. That and other sharks can rep knowing that their reps are actually repelling shrap away from their teammates.
    duel pasta <ER>> i can lick my asshole

Mattey> put me in corch

zidane> go kf urself pork

Comment

I'll talk to fiS about it and see about trying it out. I'm just worried it will only benefit the "vet" sharks, but I'm willing to see if it enhances anything.

As for pub being exactly like twbd, that I disagree with. Keeping the two distinct and separate should continue. ?go base has always been the in-between, but isn't as much now that the Pub base no longer matches it.
      Last edited by Shaddowknight; 08-04-2013, 10:24 AM.
      Former TW Staff

Comment

Originally posted by Shaddowknight View Post
        I'll talk to fiS about it and see about trying it out. I'm just worried it will only benefit the "vet" sharks, but I'm willing to see if it enhances anything.

As for pub being exactly like twbd, that I disagree with. Keeping the two distinct and separate should continue. ?go base has always been the in-between, but isn't as much now that the Pub base no longer matches it.

you are probably right that it will only help the "vet" sharks. but when a new player logs on and thinks the shark is a pos ship like i used to, and they see cranium in there killin half the base with shrap they are gonna say damn. and when i tell them that those shrap shots are aimed. they will maybe think twice about the shark and give it a chance and maybe learn these shots themselves rather than just now when someone kills someone with shrap it is 99% luck.

and i forget who said it up top but i didnt even think about the fact that shrap could go unseen like bursts... thus making it impossible to help your team is those random shraps fire at your team.

and no i have never played pub when its 3v3. that sounds terrible. i would just spec. and im not 100% sure why ur defending not changing this so hard?....
        1:Mattey> proof that god doesnt exist : animals can swim into your dickhole

TWLD Season 10 Champion - Syndicate

Comment

I don't really agree with that either. Multiple reasons, of which some are mentioned here.

The "aimed shrap" is pretty new to TWBD/TWLB/TWDTB afaik. It has been implemented there to remove the random luck factor out of these competition games and to make it more skill based. I personally don't like the thought of pub becoming the same as that, pub has always been different of some sorts and you can't even really compare it, just look at the amount of players, their ships, and the way that "basing" is played in pub.
          For pub, the shark has been designed like this. In pub it does more than mainly just getting 3 reps off - it actually can get quite a lot of kills with zero shrap just alone with bombing and mining.

Also, I don't think that the aimed shrap would make the shark more or less powerful, well, if it's in right hands then yeah, you might be better off with it. It's luck. Sometimes your 5 shraps go into the wall, but then again, sometimes all 5 will nail through mid base and you'll get the one or the other kill.

Hence I won't touch it; another concern to keep in mind as well is:

If I change the shark's shrapnel, I'd change the jav's shrapnel too. Now here you could come with the same arguments about skill based stuff vs the luck factor, but changing that would change the game dynamic by too much.
          This is pub, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by fiS View Post
            I don't really agree with that either. Multiple reasons, of which some are mentioned here.

The "aimed shrap" is pretty new to TWBD/TWLB/TWDTB afaik. It has been implemented there to remove the random luck factor out of these competition games and to make it more skill based. I personally don't like the thought of pub becoming the same as that, pub has always been different of some sorts and you can't even really compare it, just look at the amount of players, their ships, and the way that "basing" is played in pub.
            For pub, the shark has been designed like this. In pub it does more than mainly just getting 3 reps off - it actually can get quite a lot of kills with zero shrap just alone with bombing and mining.

Also, I don't think that the aimed shrap would make the shark more or less powerful, well, if it's in right hands then yeah, you might be better off with it. It's luck. Sometimes your 5 shraps go into the wall, but then again, sometimes all 5 will nail through mid base and you'll get the one or the other kill.

Hence I won't touch it; another concern to keep in mind as well is:

If I change the shark's shrapnel, I'd change the jav's shrapnel too. Now here you could come with the same arguments about skill based stuff vs the luck factor, but changing that would change the game dynamic by too much.
            This is pub, after all.

but jav shrap isnt 1 hit kill, thats apples and oranges.. same fruit... completely different...
            but since in this thread it was only u and shadow against it. i guess ur the ones that matter not the... PUBlic. hence i wont play pub anymore no big deal. enjoy pub and shit settings
            1:Mattey> proof that god doesnt exist : animals can swim into your dickhole

TWLD Season 10 Champion - Syndicate

Comment

Im not completely opposed to it, I just want to get a look at it from all sides, looking for inherant problems before we go making changes without actually thinking about them. Is that really so wrong?
              Former TW Staff

Comment

This is where my expertise is needed. Obvious oversights and flaws in this system as it relates to the pub game. I know many of you have no idea how to abuse anything cause you're all just basers. If I can aim shrap in a shark my old 1200 bounty sharkterrs will be instantly revived. Solo sharks will be devastating to the pub game because they will figure out aimed shrap shots instead of the random ones that rarely can land now. Not to mention, that fixed shrap hits 2 very nice angles when you shoot from lower base toward FR entrance. Although I'm actually very surprised this wasnt implemented immediately when someone brought it up. It's just the kind of half-assed idea that passes through these days
                I'm just a middle-aged, middle-eastern camel herdin' man
                I got a 2 bedroom cave here in North Afghanistan

Comment

Indeed Izor. Having someone who looks for flaws in a system is very important when looking at something new or a change. Finding out "how can this be abused" or "if you do this, I can do this to make that happens, do we want that happening?" and other such "what if's" help to create a solid idea and close loopholes and solve issues before they arise. Computer companies already do this by hiring hackers to test the integrity and security of their products before releasing them to the market. The only issue with this is people hating you for pointing out flaws and being a Negative Nancy, not always seeing that you're actually still helping.
                  Former TW Staff

Comment

Especially if you're abrasive about things, eh? Just trying to help out, one bad idea at a time.
                    I'm just a middle-aged, middle-eastern camel herdin' man
                    I got a 2 bedroom cave here in North Afghanistan

Comment

Working...
                    X