Consistently high C2S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consistently high C2S

I got Verizon Fios internet about a month ago and since then, my C2S has consistently been high. It happens during all hours of the day. It happens whether I am connected to the router directly or via wifi. It varies in how bad it is. It can sit as low as .7 or so and as high as 10.0. My current numbers, and this is normal, are:

PING Current:30 ms Average:30 ms Low:30 ms High:160 ms S2C: 0.1% C2S: 2.6%

I have had my ISP reissue my IP with the DHCP server. I believe SS uses UDP packets for everything so perhaps this is not easy to fix. I have ran a trace via the continuum client and there is packet loss at the hopone router which is the one just before the game server of 66.36.241.110. Verizon says this one is out of their network and I have actually heard anyway by DoCk> somewhere in the SS forums that packet loss there is normal.

Does anyone good with networking have any thoughts on what can be done for this?
    2:Sauro> dp i placed 4th today at yugoh tournament
    Sauro> i traded e tele for 2 dark bribes and a primy today dp

2:Sauro> IM REARRAGNGING MYD ECK WTF
    Go go go!

Sauro> DARK MAGICIAN GIRL SHOWS CLEAVAGE OK
    Sauro> my fav card

1:Mootland Farmer> Duel, want to stfu please? Real m,en talking about Yu-Gi-Oh here
    1:Sauro> yea dp

1:Sauro> i love dick

Nothing, welcome to the internet.

Comment

FiOS, although fast, is shared bandwidth and can serve up to 32 subscribers. Since you say that it varies I would suspect that those are the time that other subscribers are also consuming bandwidth. But lets walk through the trouble shooting and see if anything can be done via process of elimination.

First step is to eliminate the PC itself. If you have another PC that you can connect to the router (and let’s stick to wired connections for now, no WiFi) hook it up and verify that you see the same performance issues.

If you don’t see the same issues then go back to your original PC and build a new user name/account in Windows. Start SS and see if same issues exist with this new operating system user account.

If you verify that it isn’t the PC or user configuration then we move to the next thing in line, the cables. Verify/test/replace every cable between the PC and the router.

If this still doesn’t change anything then go to Verizon FiOS speed test and start gathering some data. Once armed with enough data to support the packet loss, take a day off work and call Verizon. If you don’t find a competent tech or one that speaks your native language, don’t be afraid to ask for another person.

If this does get you a good connection then roll up your sleeves and elevate the issue at Verizon by sending a letter to the Better Business Bureau or State Attorney General’s office (consumer division) in your state. While it takes a bit of doing I guarantee your issue will be resolved by them. But you first have to make sure the issue isn’t on your side!
      eph

Comment

ive noticed lag in the game this entire week so it might not be on your end.
        1:Rasaq> i scrub really hard with toilet paper so little pieces of it get stuck to my anus hair and then later on when im watching tv i like to pull them out slowly because it feels pretty good

1:Mutalisk> heard that n1111ga okyo got some DSLs

Paradise> No names but there's actually a black man in the arena right now.

Jones> MAAAAN1111GA UCHIHA

Paradise> NO NAMES. NOT A SINGLE NAME.....but 3/6 of the players on Force are of a certain descent. I will not go any further.

Comment

hopone is a notoriously laggy hop for many players.
          Former TW Staff

Comment

I think this is UDP packet loss since SS sends UDP, not TCP. Normal pings from the command line won't really tell me anything. Is there any way to detect UDP packet loss in the hops, or at least the packet loss that is causing my C2S to spike?

Go go go!

Sauro> my fav card

1:Mootland Farmer> Duel, want to stfu please? Real m,en talking about Yu-Gi-Oh here

Comment

the hopone router is configured to not respond to traceroutes or pings so the packetloss there is no reason for concern (source: http://www.superb.net/blog/2007/09/2...e-part-3-of-4/)

I also have Verizon Fios and live in the same state as Veloce. I've had this packetloss on and off for a couple years. After much research the only solution i came up with is the use a VPN. This doubles my ping (from 30 to 60) but gets rid of the packetloss for me so I can play TWD/TWL. I'm using https://www.privatetunnel.com/ You can get 100mb for free when you register, and continuum uses about 15MB per hour, so you can test it before you pay anything. For $12 you can get 50GB (no time limit to use it) which is over 3000 hours if you're only playing continuum when it's on. Using torrents or watching videos will use more data so you just need to turn off the VPN if you're going to do that if you want to conserve your data.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt View Post
                the hopone router is configured to not respond to traceroutes or pings so the packetloss there is no reason for concern (source: http://www.superb.net/blog/2007/09/2...e-part-3-of-4/)

I also have Verizon Fios and live in the same state as Veloce. I've had this packetloss on and off for a couple years. After much research the only solution i came up with is the use a VPN. This doubles my ping (from 30 to 60) but gets rid of the packetloss for me so I can play TWD/TWL. I'm using https://www.privatetunnel.com/ You can get 100mb for free when you register, and continuum uses about 15MB per hour, so you can test it before you pay anything. For $12 you can get 50GB (no time limit to use it) which is over 3000 hours if you're only playing continuum when it's on. Using torrents or watching videos will use more data so you just need to turn off the VPN if you're going to do that if you want to conserve your data.
                Thanks I did test this out a bit yesterday and my lag was staying within the limits. It was significantly higher than you are experiencing but again, it was in the limits. I live in an apartment building so I am afraid that my neighbors are causing me issues like Ephemeral mentioned.

I'm not sure if you had tried this but I did speak to Verizon representatives online on different occasions. They were not helpful at all. They did mention an "expert help" line that would possibly cost money, but I'd imagine they know enough about networking.

Another option I was looking into was route configuration on the router. You can write routing rules which may be something I will try when I have the time to read up on it all. Possibly I can try a different route to see if this changes performance.

Go go go!

Sauro> my fav card

Comment

Burnt - I'm curious what Verizon internet you have? I previously had the 15mbps download speed and 5 mbps upload speed which is one of the more basic packages. I just upgraded to Quantum which is 50mbps download speed and 25mbps upload speed today. It's a one month free offer so I have nothing to lose and can switch back as I have no term agreement in my package. After that it is an extra 10$ a month to my bill. I will be checking a bit over the next week to see if this improves my packet loss but I don't really expect it to. I'm curious what you have to see if this is related to our same issue.

Also, oddly enough, if I log in at say 10AM EST on a week day and remain logged on all day and into the night when my packet loss would typically be the greatest, I instead maintain a low C2S of around .1 - .3 (which is what it sits at all day). As I stay online through the evening/peak hours, my S2C is the one that jumps to maybe .8 tops which is well within limits. My C2S remains low.

If I log out, then log back in, my C2S packet loss sky rockets to what it normally would be if I came home from work on a week night and log in. Have you seen anything like this?

Go go go!

Sauro> my fav card

Comment

I had 35/35 download/upload for 2 years until last month when I upgraded to 75/35. I haven't noticed any changes with the packetloss since the upgrade, so i wouldn't think upgrading from 15/5 to 50/25 would make a difference. My theory (not sure about this) is when you type ?packetloss the game it gives you your ploss since you logged in, so if your actual packetloss is low during the day and it goes up later, ?packetloss will only go up slowly since it's working current packetloss into your average packetloss since you logged in. Then when you relog the ?packetloss numbers are reset and will reflect the packetloss you have since you logged back in. Although this does not explain why your S2C would go up.

Comment

yeah, ploss is a cumulative, it takes awhile to go down once it's gone up (thats what she said)
                      Former TW Staff

Comment

these hopone faggots have been incompetent for years now
                        The above text is a personal opinion of an individual and is not representative of the statements or opinions of Trench Wars or Trench Wars staff.

SSCJ Distension Owner
                        SSCU Trench Wars Developer

Last edited by Shaddowknight; Today at 05:49 AM. Reason: Much racism. So hate. Such ban. Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by roxxkatt View Post
                          these hopone faggots have been incompetent for years now
                          they tw staff?
                          1:Rasaq> i scrub really hard with toilet paper so little pieces of it get stuck to my anus hair and then later on when im watching tv i like to pull them out slowly because it feels pretty good

1:Mutalisk> heard that n1111ga okyo got some DSLs

Paradise> No names but there's actually a black man in the arena right now.

Jones> MAAAAN1111GA UCHIHA

Paradise> NO NAMES. NOT A SINGLE NAME.....but 3/6 of the players on Force are of a certain descent. I will not go any further.

Comment

For the record though, the hopone routers right before the TW server can't really be the issue? Other ISPs I've had went through the same routers so my/Burnt's problem must be within the Verizon network.

Any idea how to correct this Cheese? I would expect it's beyond anyone's control but Verizon's.

Go go go!

Sauro> my fav card

Comment

Originally posted by Veloce View Post
                              For the record though, the hopone routers right before the TW server can't really be the issue? Other ISPs I've had went through the same routers so my/Burnt's problem must be within the Verizon network.

Any idea how to correct this Cheese? I would expect it's beyond anyone's control but Verizon's.
                              I know this is an old thread, but I too had the same issues since around 6/2013 or so. Based on a trace, it is the hopone garbage. I have Verizon Fios Quantum.

The only thing that works 100% for me is to keep exiting and re-entering TW over and over. Some days it works within 3 or 4 re-entries, and other days it can take like 30 exit and re-enter TW until you find a ploss-free connection. But this is the ONLY fix that works for sure.

The way you will know is that when it says "Entering arena" when it first comes up, it will enter in like 1 second if you have a connection with no ploss. If it takes several seconds, then you likely have the hopone ton of ploss connection.

For the record, I have never had anything in between, either around 10-15% ploss, or 0.1% by doing this. So you will know you have no ploss as soon as it enters right away, then just type ?packetloss after like 3 min to confirm.

Im an idiot so this trial/error even though it super simplistic, took me a few months to figure out.

Comment

Working...
                              X