2014 TWDT Hybrid Draft League Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 TWDT Hybrid Draft League Idea

I think the past few drafts have been a success, but there are always 2-3 teams that die off and never coalesce, and it can be very hard to get a good core of guys who are interested in playing with each other and showing for the season.

It seems like a good way to keep 8/8 teams active and involved throughout the TWDT would be to mix things up -- and since it's TWDT and not something like TWL, which people seem to find sacrosanct and don't want to change/mess with it -- it seems the perfect venue to try something different.

I propose a Hybrid TWDT. The premise is simple: Eight Captains get together with their TWD/TWL squadmates or friends and form 5-Player Core. So right off the bat you have a group of talented people who get along and have likely played and/or won together in the past, and who fulfill key roles, making the likelihood of showing high, and forming a nucleus for a draft team.

Then we have the draft as usual, but instead of wasting everyone's time with 25 rounds of drafting, make it 12 or 13, and throw all the fringe players who are decent but not TWL players or high level TWD players into Low-Star Package groups, and you simply draft one of those 8 packages as you would a normal player.

Once you've drafted your team, every week you can play:
    1) Maximum of 9 core players (across TWDT-D, TWDT-J, TWDT-B, there are 18 starting spots per week (5+5+8))
    2) Minimum of 3 package players per week.
    3) No minimum or maximum number for draftees.

Now the interesting thing is how a Captain and a squad choose where to exercise their Minimum and Maximum roster requirements in order to try to win the most games during the season and qualify for the playoffs, or better yet, a Bye into the Semi-Finals. You can stack one league with 5 core players, and shift your Low-Star Package players all into one league, or spread them out evenly across all three leagues, it's up to the teams to try to find the perfect balance to achieve success.

League Ops judge the strength of the cores, then assign them a draft position accordingly, so a Dice or Pandora core would get the worst draft position, and a less overpowered core gets a better draft spot to poach the top draftees.

Here is a detailed Image showing how it would potentially work:
    http://i.imgur.com/sc6N6Rl.png
    top 100 basers list

You clearly say it's TWDT, but clearly you don't mean it. Why? Because TWDT is meant mainly for new players and not for core players. The core players are meant for TWL.

Nevertheless, I still like your idea. It needs a few adjustments considering the packages/restrictions/stars, but other than that well done.
    "Action is the real measure of intelligence. "
    Napoleon Hill

wiibimbo>I'm gonna take u out next week for a beer and pizza at Leonardo's...no homo tho! I prefer big boobs
    Dral>I can get implants

Comment

TWDT was supposed to involve new players. It didn't do that.

It's essentially just a shit TWL. Let it die.

Comment

twdt is going to fail and suffer until you drastically reduce the * limit on a per game basis. also free agency is completely broken. i'll ignore free agency for now. trading should be pretty straightforward and open until playoffs.

there should be a single * rating for all leagues combined. three is difficult and really not needed.

in order to set the weekly * limit: find the average star rating for all active league players. multiply that average star rating by 5 for wbs and javs. multiply by 8 for base. send out the weekly limit on a designated 'roster lock' day every week.

that will lead to an ugly but pretty hilarious league.

i can see some potential loopholes that would certainly need to be addressed, but its an idea.

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

Working...
        X