WingZero, PLEASE Consider Implementing This
I have suggested TW General for a few months right now, and I feel like not one upper staff member has even noticed. Every player who I enlighten with this idea thinks it's a great way to change this zone for the better, but nothing is done about it. This post is to rehash and thoroughly discuss the potential of the following innovation:
Drop the individual arenas of ?go base, ?go javduel, ?go wbduel, and ?go elim, and merge them with pub to form "TW-General." Any other TWD/event related matches can be played in their own, extraneous arena. If go base, pub, wbduel, javduel, and elim were all capable of running in the same arena, roughly 80% of what is actively going on in TW will be going on in not only one arena, but the arena that all new players see as soon as they enter TW.
Here are just some of the benefits of a General Arena:
- Makes it easier for new players to navigate TW
- Exposes players to all aspects of play in each ship, and each league, without ruining the integrity of pub or other events. Some may argue that having ?go base running in pub would take away from pub basing itself, but go base runs parallel to pub anyway. Not everyone wants to dedicate 20-30 minutes to a basing match. Some newbies aren't even aware of how to change arenas, do you think they're all even aware that arenas like ?go base exists?
- Gives beginners who are brand new a chance to watch, first hand, the players they should be aspiring to be in the zone. Part of what makes TW so appealing is the skill ladder that you must climb to gain respect of your peers. ?go base, ?go elim, ?go javduel, ?go wbduel have, for the most part, lost all of their prestige. If these arenas were moved, and the games were being played in pub, 50+ players would be watching each game hourly. These would certainly incentivize players to play these games, and prove themselves.
- Players who normally just "hang out" in wbduel/base/javduel/etc would be forced to populate TW-General if they want to continue hanging out with the crews that populate those arenas.
- Players who wouldn't normally play javduel or base, players that would rather afk in wbduel, might find interest in playing something else just because it's running right in front of them.
As stated, these are just SOME of the potential positives of merging all of our active competitive arenas into one. Now, some of you may be thinking this would make TW even more cluttered, more confusing, and more intimidating to new players. This is how I imagine it would work, using JavDuel as an example (yes, some of these ideas are indeed borrowed from Extreme Games):
- BaseBot, JavDuelBot, WBDuelBot, and RoboBot would all be stationed in TW-General
- Two players decide they want to start JavDuel.
- Players message one of the bots !cap, and the game begins.
- Throughout the adding period, players can designate themselves to being an eligible JavDuel player by PM'ing the JavDuelBot with !play or !p
- The captains can see the list of eligible players by PM'ing the JavDuelBot !gameinfo or !gi (i.e. -- JavDuelBot> Available players: Ease, megaman89, Amputate, etc.)
- A captain !add's players, and as players are added they are immediately spawned into the JavDuel base spawn arena.
- The game begins, and the bot keeps score of each game and statistic and releases them to the public at the end of the match via blue chat and trenchwars.org, just like it normally would, but there are no automatic scoreresets. Players can choose to scorereset on their own, otherwise the kills/deaths would be added to their pub score
- Game ends, players are free to do what they want
The same concept would carry over for the basing, warbird, and elim matches. Some of you may be wondering, "well, what about the other pub players, where will they spawn?" I have a general layout for a massively influential change in pub that I do think should be put into effect:
- Remove levs and weasels completely. These ships have traditional ties to the core of the zone, but if you've noticed, traditional pub is long gone. As other staffers and veteran players agree, people only play these ships to be annoying, and to troll. It's time to change it up and showcase to new players the redeeming aspects of each league so they want to come back for more
- Alongside the pub base, the elim area, the javduel area, the wbduel area, and the ?go base area, there will be a newly added warbird FREE-FOR-ALL area (similar to the spawn area that is in pub, currently), and a newly added jav FREE-FOR-ALL area (similar to the arena in ?go javs).
Choosing a particular ship will assign you to a specific arena, following this structure:
- Entering as a javelin will spawn you, at default, to the jav free-for-all area (FFA)
- Entering as a warbird will spawn you, at default, to the warbird free-for-all area (FFA)
- Entering as a spider, terrier, or shark will spawn you, at default, to the general pub base
- Anyone who wishes to play a basing, javduel, elim, or wbduel match, can sign-up to play using the system mentioned previously
This way, pub players will begin to associate playing as a jav with jav dueling, they will begin to associate playing as a warbird with wb dueling, and they will begin to associate playing as terr/spid/shark with basing, AS IT SHOULD BE. Sure, some players will complain that they can't be a warbird or jav in the base anymore, but there are way more positives than negatives to this change:
- There will be no more TK'ing in base, except by sharks (which is common in a real basing game)
- If a player becomes increasingly skillful in spider, shark or terr, he will have already primed himself for being a good player in BD. These circumstances allow for beginners to develop into potential TWD players without even knowing it.
- Terriers will theoretically be able to to stay alive longer, as javs will no longer be TK'ing them, and warbirds/levs/cloaks/javs won't be killing them from the other team. Terrs staying alive longer will lead to longer flagroom fights, and pub matches will possess genuine characteristics of competitive basing matches. There are some elements of pub that are good for basing, but you will see much better flagroom battles and people developing their skills much faster (especially spiders/terrs) if they aren't facing warbirds/javs. It's hard enough for elite players to handle warbirds and javs in base when they themselves are in spider, which is why these ships are rarely used in TWBD's, and never at all in serious TWLB matches. So why should pubbers, the beginners, be overwhelmed by, and subject to this type of laming? Instead of spids or terrs getting easily beaten by javs/warbirds with one kill, this change will allow pubbers to see the true dynamics of basing (and jav/wb dueling) much more clearly. These ships have no real place in basing, and they should be utilized to introduce players to dueling, not a pharce version of basing.
- Since pub basing will be significantly more similar to real basing, the elites who would rather AFK than play a full game of ?go base or TWBD might find a few minutes to hop into the pub basing match.
- The spawn area for the pub base will be smaller, and players will spawn closer to the base so that they don't have to get "lost in space." Pubbers will have easier access to the action, and won't get confused because of how spread out pub currently is.
- Players typically choose to enter TW over the other zones because of our population size. Currently, we have ~200 players on per day, spread across 5-10 arenas. Instead of a player seeing 50-60 players pubbing, there will be 100-200 pubbing, on top of the added competitive matches. They will be able to play pub basing or FFA if they choose to, but now they won't have to type a bunch of confusing commands (ESC+A, or ?go, that they don't understand) to get to each event. It will all be laid out for them. Instead of one base full of 30 people and a spawn area with 10 people, new players will see numerous events taking place simultaneously. They won't get bored of pub basing and simply log off, they may decideto give jav/wb FFA a try, or they may even decide they are ready to play one of the competitive games.
That's all I'm going to type up for now, because I know it is a lot to take in. I've seen my posts on this topic get completely overlooked due to their density, but when I explain them one on one with veteran players they seem to think it's a good idea. This thread was made so that this innovative idea (something completely lacking in TW at the moment) gets some acknowledgement and discussion. Yes, this will take quite a while to code and implement (unless you take the smart route and just recode the current bots) but based on what progress I've seen in the zone (barely any) this is something worthwhile for staff to work on. Pub itself would now be seen as an entry level into the competitive leagues (FOR EVERY LEAGUE), instead of being completely separate, random, beginner arena that runs parallel to the leagues.
We've been looking for a way to bridge pub with TWD/TWL, THIS IS IT.