Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New computer - Windows 8 - Delays

Hi,

I just bought a brand new computer which unfortunately has windows 8.

Can't really play with this atm. I can control my ship fine but every other player's bombs / bullets / reps / mines / bursts come with ~1 second delay.
    Reps are the worst. I can hear the rep and it effects me on-time but I see the rep 1 second after the actual rep. At this point the shark is far away from the place that rep actually happened. This makes my playing very hard and annoying. I can't really compete on top level because of this joke.

This is the computer I bought, should be fine on its side. (HP pavilion 500-138eo desktop)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...=c03991377#N57

-I've already tried to change advanced settings to various kinds.
    -Updated all my chipset, graphics and network drivers
    -Tried to run continuum as administrator
    -Tried to run continuum in compatible mode. (7, vista, XP pack 2, XP pack 3)

Any solutions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Season 12 champion TWLD / TWLJ
    Season 18 champion TWLJ / TWLB
    Season 19 champion TWLB (C)

Season 6 champion TWDT-J TWDT-B (C)
    Season 10 champion TWDT-J (C)
    Season 11 champion TWDT-B (C)
    Season 13 champion TWDT-B (C)
    Season 17 TRIPLE CROWN TWDT (C)

The winningest TWDT captain of all time

Hello,

Sad to hear that Continuum won't work properly on your computer. I don't have any experience with Windows 8, but perhaps I can help you track/fix the cause.
    From the situation you're describing, it really sounds like an internal problem to Continuum, which I really don't hope is the case, because then there is nothing we can really do.

You've mentioned you've tried to change your advanced settings. I assume you mean the ones that force data into the system memory. (I.e. Advanced settings within Continuum itself.) Have you also tried modifying the settings of the graphics card itself? Like disabling AA, reducing/increasing the amount of pre-rendered frames, disabling/enabling V-Sync, stuff like that.
    When looking at your specs, I've also noticed that your PC has both a graphics card and a graphics chip, have you tried forcing Continuum to use one specifically, to see if that resolves the issue?

Besides that, there are always the standard issues that can mess up games, but I don't know if they are still all applicable to Windows 8. Things you can think of are for example: Disabling the Aero system, toggling between that tile mode and old fashioned desktop mode, disabling firewall and/or virus scanner. An odd one might be trying to run it in Safe Mode, assuming that still exists with Windows 8. That only loads the basic dependencies needed by Windows. If it works in there, then there is some piece of software installed on your PC that conflicts with Continuum.

I doubt that it is related to network settings, due to you saying that the sound does register immediately, so the "weaponsFired"-packet does arrive at the correct moment in time. Sound and graphics are all done client-side, based on that packet. But if you believe otherwise, you could check things like port forwarding, the firewall in your router/modem, or even things like your MTU settings. (Although iirc, we are using the UDP protocol and not the TCP protocol, so it shouldn't really affect that.)

Technically, theoretically, it could also be memory or HD/SSD related. I assume you don't have any old memory sticks or old hard drives you can test that theory on? But then again, if the graphics show properly for you, then that same specific graphics should show properly for other players that use the same ship as you at that point in time.

If none of this all works, then it might all be unfixable, but there are ways to bypass that. What you could try is running Continuum through a virtual machine, or install a secondary OS on your PC. Both have downsides of course. The secondary OS, installing win 7 or XP or something, well, you would need to reboot each time to get in the dual boot menu. The virtual machine might be a better option, but VMs tend to be a bit slower with everything since they are emulating an OS.
    Personally, I use Windows Virtual PC to run a Windows XP enviroment on my Windows 7 PC, so that I can use programs and play games that were made for Windows 95 and 98. Virtual PC is/was an install option that requires you to have the Pro version of Windows 7, so depending on your Windows 8 version, it might not be available. There are of course enough other virtual machines available, generally free of use. If you cannot find a proper one that runs an older Windows version inside, then technically, finding one that runs Linux (or even Unix) or a Mac type OS should be fine as well. At least, iirc, Continuum works on those OSes as well. You will have to download a different version of Continuum for it though.

I know, it's quite a few things I've listed up there, and there are always more, but generally a bit more unlikely, like a Bios update. I hope one of these lead to a possible fix, solution or workaround for the problem. And if it all fails, then there is nothing left besides dusting off your old PC, if it's still alive, or at least for the TWL season, borrow a PC/laptop from someone else or play at their homes.

Nonetheless, good luck. I hope you will succeed. And if you do, please let us know what was the exact cause, in case someone else runs into this in the future.

Comment

prob gfx card/settings
      did u try the software emulation in ss settings yet
      The above text is a personal opinion of an individual and is not representative of the statements or opinions of Trench Wars or Trench Wars staff.

SSCJ Distension Owner
      SSCU Trench Wars Developer

Last edited by Shaddowknight; Today at 05:49 AM. Reason: Much racism. So hate. Such ban. Wow.

Comment

This is a Windows 8 issue, not one of any hardware or settings. Do the free upgrade to 8.1, fixes most issues. (Not going to bore you with a long why now :-P)

I hate to disagree with PAP but DON'T install a second Windows on your comp, too. Extremely bad idea to do this on the same hard drive and even worse one to install a previous Version of Windows as a second OS. You have to install the older one first.

Virtual Machine (Virtualbox is fastest with Continuum, also free) is possible, but not recommended based on the specs of your machine. (Lag increase)
        Last edited by bkgmjo; 02-01-2014, 06:28 AM.

Comment

8.1 fixes a few things, yes. You can also reduce the startup programs and background processes. Setting the provram affinity and priority may help it also.
          Former TW Staff

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I've tried several options thePAP suggested with no luck. At the moment i'm updating to windows 8.1 and hopefully it'll do the trick.

roxxkatt

prob gfx card/settings
            did u try the software emulation in ss settings yet
            Yes, i've tried that.

Ill post the cause here for future problems, if I get this sorted out.

Comment

I hope i can cheer you up a bit, dw.
              I bought a Win 8 tablet in december 2012. I hardly was able to play continuum on it, so I just used it to chat around. I thought that the tablet was just too "weak" to handle continuum.
              When Win8.1 was out, I updated it - and voila - I can play. It's not 100% perfect still, but I think on your machine it will be. At least I hope so!

Comment

fiS

I hope i can cheer you up a bit, dw.
                I bought a Win 8 tablet in december 2012. I hardly was able to play continuum on it, so I just used it to chat around. I thought that the tablet was just too "weak" to handle continuum.
                When Win8.1 was out, I updated it - and voila - I can play. It's not 100% perfect still, but I think on your machine it will be. At least I hope so!
                Thanks for the wishes!

Unfortunately, updating to win 8.1 had no effect whatsoever. I'm still trying find new ways to make ss playable but I'm so busy atm I dont want to start installing win 7 and hope it works. Probably gonna try modifying my graphic card settings( dunno how yet).
                If I can't get this fixed i'm probably going to uninstall for good because no idea to play if I can't compete on top level after years doing so. Hopefully I will find a fix tho..

Comment

Dreamwin,
                  Here are a few things that I would try for troubleshooting…
                  • Try changing (lowering) the resolution of your desktop
                  • Try lowering the color depth of your desktop (to 16bit)
                  • Try starting SS ‘windowed’

If none of these had any impact I would look closer at Directx and run the diagnostic (type dxdiag in command line or search box). Note version and make sure that you have the latest.
                  eph

Comment

I have a win 8 laptop with some pretty low spec gfx (integrated intel). Continuum worked fine before 8.1. Try removing background apps and other automatic update garbage.
                    RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
                    RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

Well, if nothing works and you have a Windows XP CD or ISO id suggest you try the virtual way using this dl:

http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...-91406-Win.exe

VirtualBox is pretty straightforward to use, just make sure you install the extensions and enable graphics options.

Comment

umm.. torrent a copy of windows 7, put it on a zip drive, burn your copy of windows 8 and piss on it, install, be happy.
                        Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

You might have luck with emulating various old DirectX options.

Something along the lines of 3D Analyze might allow you to do this (for example, emulating DirectX 8.1 caps might help): http://games.softpedia.com/get/Tools/3D-Analyze.shtml

You can try SwiftShader: http://transgaming.com/swiftshader (Includes watermark unless you buy it or "buy" it) Essentially you just need to drop the DLLs in the folder of the game you're trying to run. This is beneficial more for older systems running games that are beyond their specs, but it may also solve problems you're having with unsupported or badly-supported handling of older graphics/input routines.

But it could also be a net issue if it's only showing lag for others' weapons. What's your ?lag report look like?

I'd definitely try emulating an older version of Win if nothing else works, as others have suggested. It's a lot easier than it sounds.
                          "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
                          -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

Working...
                          X