TWEL Season 10 - Cash Prizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No.

generating interest for those already addicted and interested in the game. save this money for advertising. None of us play this game for the money events.
    4:BigKing> xD
    4:Best> i'm leaving chat
    4:BigKing> what did i do???
    4:Best> told you repeatedly you cannot use that emoji anymore
    4:BigKing> ???? why though
    4:Best> you're 6'4 and black...you can't use emojis like that
    4:BigKing> xD

Comment

TWLM for this past TWL season had cash prizes with far less exposure, less notice and less people taking it seriously as this TWEL season will and it received absolutely no backlash or criticism. To clarify, upwards of $100+ will be coming from my own pocket to support the cash prizes. Random $25-$80 tournies with less than 15 minutes notice are hosted all the time with large turnouts. Should we remove those and only accept money under the branch of TW Advertising? TWEL is the premier dueling league and winners should be rewarded as such.

You can believe that a cash prize adds no more incentive or difference but from speaking with some of the top duelers and players in just the last couple days this is clearly false.

I do agree that TWEL in the last few years has been run on auto pilot without proper exposure and the site is clearly in need of updating. These are things that we're working on and will be fixed this season. First step was to create the schedule, rules and qualification rules.
      PattheBat> steadman your name is literally "a mean std"
      ogron> CM,OPN NMKAN

Comment

Originally posted by WillBy View Post
        We should have TW Council approve such large spending on a single issue occasion...
        lol has tw council done anything of relevance yet? this is why no competent people even applied for that garbage.
        1:Rasaq> i scrub really hard with toilet paper so little pieces of it get stuck to my anus hair and then later on when im watching tv i like to pull them out slowly because it feels pretty good

1:Mutalisk> heard that n1111ga okyo got some DSLs

Paradise> No names but there's actually a black man in the arena right now.

Jones> MAAAAN1111GA UCHIHA

Paradise> NO NAMES. NOT A SINGLE NAME.....but 3/6 of the players on Force are of a certain descent. I will not go any further.

Comment

To all those who are concerned with the pub bux/inflation aspect of this: I spoke with qan about it to get his opinion. He gave me permission to quote him. Hope this clears up any concern.

qan> hey, what's up? am doing some code, but I can talk for a sec
          Mythriluig> appreciate it man, you run the TWD bots in pub correct?
          Mythriluig> or is that krynetix
          qan> oh, tw-pubsystem? I work on it a bit, yeah. nobody really runs it
          Mythriluig> ah
          Mythriluig> well, not sure if you've heard about the dueling league TWEL and it implementing pub bux rewards with victories etc
          Mythriluig> i really just want your opinion on it since you work closely with pub and the bots
          Mythriluig> let me get you a link
          Mythriluig> http://forums.trenchwars.org/showthr...10-Cash-Prizes
          Mythriluig> this has been reviewed and approved by MM btw, just receiving some initial concern from the public atm
          Mythriluig> so id like to hear your view
          Mythriluig> mainly on how the pub bux could potentially negatively impact inflation
          Mythriluig> that seems to be the main concern pub related
          Mythriluig> total would be around 1,150,000 in about a month-2 month period
          qan> it's a lot to put into one event ... then again, we don't really use the money much :P
          qan> re: the cash at least
          Mythriluig> well, about 150 would be from the tw donations and the rest out of my pocket
          qan> as for pubbux, people get really confused. inflation doesn't happen with a fake game currency. pubbux aren't worth anything. they aren't weighed to any economy
          Mythriluig> that's what i was thinking too
          qan> so inflation isn't real. what they call inflation is just... people playing the game, heh :P
          Mythriluig> it's not like the pub bux are being traded for items
          qan> ohh, you're financing it partly yourself? yeah, that sounds totally legit then
          qan> and yeah, pubbux are really just a novelty thing
          Mythriluig> cool
          qan> it doesn't actually matter if people have several million. and I've made various methods to get people to lose them as well, heh :P tried to make more high-ticket items
          qan> yeah, you can go ahead and quote me on that then. I've been actively trying to come up with ways to counter so-called "inflation." but really, bux are just there to motivate people
          Mythriluig> awesome
          qan> so you aren't inflating anything by giving them as rewards for people who do things we want to encourage
          qan> such as winning a duel
          qan> it makes no sense at all
          ogron> CM,OPN NMKAN

Comment

Originally posted by WillBy View Post
            We should have TW Council approve such large spending on a single issue occasion...
            This event just has been approved by like two or three people..?
            I am sure TW Council would never approve such an event with this cost and almost no benefit
            If you make decisions like this without any consult of the TW Council
            Then why make the TW Council in the first place?
            Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Comment

I don't know whether it's too much effort but to potentially increase the awareness of TWEL could we not schedule all matches to be played between like 2-5pm EST on a Sunday, heavily zone it and send out zoners when the duels are going to take place (like the TWL zoners that go out 5 minutes before the matches start). The schedule of just doing the duel when ever during the week means I have never watched a single TWEL duel as they are basically done behind closed doors - if we could get 30-40 to show up to watch duels would that not be far more interesting and healthy for TWEL? Maybe only zone/advertise the duels with zoners when they get to the last 16 onwards?
              TWL-J Season 11 Champion
              TWL-J Season 21 Champion
              TWL-B Season 21 Champion
              TWL-B Season 22 Finalist
              TWDT-D 2017 Champion
              TWDT-J 2017 Champion

Comment

We should not pay anyone anything from a free community game. Just recently a thread got locked because a player offered to play in squads for money. Staff has decided that making money on this game is illegal. So if those so-called pro players only want to play for money they are not very valuable for the community. Not to talk about the legal problems we run into here.

As for the pubbux gains: I think in comparison to other gains the amounts are okay, even though people who never ever set a foot in pub get them. The whole balancing of pubbux and it's potential to destroy games with super weapons is totally off though, but that's another story. Also qan (while being talented on other stuff) seems to have very odd ideas of what is a good idea to spend them on at times. So excuse me if I don't really give much on his balancing comments.

Comment

I love the commitment, energy, and fresh incentives you're bringing to TWEL, Mythril. I think it will boost interest and participation, as well as viewership, of the league. Trench Wars is an ecosystem, and when one league thrives, the rest do, too, as it increases the amount of persons coming online, taking an interest in this game, and being exposed to conversations and zoners about other events, tournaments, leagues, and activities.

Keep up the fantastic work. I haven't played TWEL in years, but given the leadership on display and the clear and concise structure, on top of multiple rewards, I will be throwing my hat into the ring.
                  top 100 basers list

Comment

wah wahh

willby is insanely stupid if he thought tw council was ever going to be useful

Comment

The last thing TW need is to spend this amount of real money without any real benefits

Comment

It's not surprising that all the bad people who have no chance of winning the money are crying about it. I probably won't even participate in twel because it's a terrible league but it's nice to see that the money is going to something more useful than the horrendous new website you idiot staffers wasted $2000 on.

By adding a cash prize, the appeal to both new and veteran players is greatly increased. The idea is that more good players will join for the prizes, which will cause more bad players to sign up so they can see how they stack up against the good players. Obviously somebody like Wazaza has no chance of winning anything but seeing how far he can push himself in a field of talented players should be a satisfying reward in itself. Think of the cash prizes as nothing more than bait to lure in competition.

The TW council is a complete joke because no one besides pub newbies signed up for it. We have Drosophila, sleepyjoe, and spock whom I've never even heard of, Exalt who doesn't even play the game, and let's not forget ipad the guy who went around spamming every forum thread with "TW IS DEAD" "LET THIS SHIT DIE" when the zone got ddos. If you want this to be taken seriously you guys need to make more of an effort to find respected members of the community.

I didn't even know twlm existed until about a week ago let alone the fact that there was money given out to the winners. If that crap can have a money prize, then twel might as well too.
                        Jessup> saiyan and i had steamy cyber sex once

Streak Breaker Grizzly Beam

Don't Poke the Bear.

Comment

Ricko, I was thinking of something along those lines, maybe not for the first 1-3 rounds but definitely for semis and finals. Having a scheduled duel so everybody could watch would be pretty interesting. I know last year the twel-d finals got about 30-40 people in spec on a random week day with a zoner halfway through the duel. If you have any more ideas just send them my way. Playoffs are a ways away and things are still being worked out.
                          ogron> CM,OPN NMKAN

Comment

Zoner: Hi vets, we need you this bad please come play tw we will even pay you money for it, so you don't completly waste your time on tw!

Try this zoner ^

O shut the fuk up beam ur trash,
                            TWDT will reach far more player than this TWEL
                            and how much USD is used for TWDT ?

Comment

with proper exposure and advertising, TWEL could once again become the premier league of dueling it once was in the past. it would increase the overall competitiveness of the zone, and if we promote the league properly, it would serve as a natural gateway for finding new talent for squads and giving new participants another reason to play. no one sane enough could deny that those two aforementioned facts would be vasty beneficial for the health of the zone, increasing the competitiveness that we are currently lacking and potentially getting more players interested in the competitive side of the game.

i would love to see this league flourish again. i daresay that at one point in time, TWEL was one of the most competitive and fun leagues the zone had to offer. it was quite common to see over a hundred of players in the arena participating in duels and spectating other players. it was a way to make a name for yourself and to get recognised which ultimately got players recruited to squads. unfortunately, the dueling player base started to dwindle as the years went by mostly because of poor advertising and promoting from the TWEL staff as they thought the league was self-sufficient.

we have a bunch of players in the trench wars council with no prior experience in the competitive side of this game talking about how we're "ruining" the game with our solutions. i'm awestruck, what exactly do you know about the benefits it could bring to the zone if you have never even left the public arena? why would we not want this zone to be more competitive? why the fuck are we twiddling our thumbs and waiting for the zone to die instead of doing something about our current situation? most of you didn't even play back in the day when elimination and duel were at their prime. what you're doing is counterproductive, nothing more and nothing less.

if mythril is willing to donate money to make this succeed then we should be supportive and make sure the league gets the expore it rightfully deserves instead of shooting down ideas and wanting the zone to die. we could even open up the donations to further increase the cash pool available. there's a lot of veteran players willing to return to the game and i would also be interested in participating in a dueling league where people would actually try.

we would have to make sure that the league gets properly advertised. we should advertise the playoff matches with zoners so that people can come and spectate the latter stages of the tournament and get excited. we could even give more incentive for players to keep dueling (e.g. reward players for dueling/winning streaks against players with public cash) with the hope of keeping that arena alive. ideally, i would want to see TWEL seasons happen three to four times a year.

i have no faith in the current trench wars council, and thus they should keep their hands away from this topic.

/end of morning rant
                              Last edited by Turban; 06-12-2014, 11:17 AM. Reason: whoops and fixed

Comment

Originally posted by Turban View Post
                                with proper exposure and advertising, TWEL could once again become the premier league of dueling it once was in the past. it would increase the overall competitiveness of the zone, and if we promote the league properly, it would serve as a natural gateway for finding new talent for squads and giving new participants another reason to play. no one sane enough could deny that those two aforementioned facts would be vasty beneficial for the health of the zone, increasing the competitiveness that we are currently lacking and potentially getting more players interested in the competitive side of the game.
                                Weve alrdy got leageus like TWDT for scouting new player talentDo you rly think that ppl who are only interested in the money will stay and play the game throughout the year for the competitive side of the game?
                                i would love to see this league flourish again. i daresay that at one point in time, TWEL was one of the most competitive and fun leagues the zone had to offer. it was quite common to see over a hundred of players in the arena participating in duels and spectating other players. it was a way to make a name for yourself and to get recognised which ultimately got players recruited to squads. unfortunately, the dueling player base started to dwindle as the years went by mostly because of poor advertising and promoting from the TWEL staff as they thought the league was self-sufficient.we have a bunch of players in the trench wars council with no prior experience in the competitive side of this game talking about how we're "ruining" the game with our solutions. i'm awestruck, what exactly do you know about the benefits it could bring to the zone if you have never even left the public arena? why would we not want this zone to be more competitive? why the fuck are we twiddling our thumbs and waiting for the zone to die instead of doing something about our current situation? most of you didn't even play back in the day when elimination and duel were at their prime. what you're doing is counterproductive, nothing more and nothing less.
                                Yeah that's the problem sherlock holmes, we don't live in that time anymore where TW was at it's top Stuff like this would work with that amount of players, the only thing youre promoting now is getting your older players backwhich is great but if the only thing that can bring them back is to pay them money, your wasting cash.
                                if mythril is willing to donate money to make this succeed then we should be supportive and make sure the league gets the expore it rightfully deserves instead of shooting down ideas and wanting the zone to die. we could even open up the donations to further increase the cash pool available. there's a lot of veteran players willing to return to the game and i would also be interested in participating in a dueling league where people would actually try. we would have to make sure that the league gets properly advertised. we should advertise the playoff matches with zoners so that people can come and spectate the latter stages of the tournament and get excited. i would love to see TWEL seasons four times a year, we could even give more incentive to keep dueling (e.g. reward players for winning streaks different players with public cash) and hoping to keep the arena alive./ morning rant
                                Im just saying you could spend that money better on ideas that are more thoughtfulanyways i said enough im done go and blow it all away on this great ideas!

Comment

Working...
                                X