Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TWDT 2014 DRAFT PREVIEW (New Top Overall Picks Added!)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed on the 6* packages being uneven. Also I was rated 5-5-6, just put into the 5* packages.
    Former TW Staff

Comment

I have played against/with many of these 6* package players and the packages look fairly balanced. Sure, there may be a few multi leaguers in package 5, though all of the 6* packages look to have a few players that can cover all 3 leagues jav/wb/base. Not to mention that there will still be those 'off league' players to consider on top.

Many of these package players won't even be playing at the same time anyway as teams will mostly be made up of 7*+ so the packages themselves shouldn't really affect things to much especially with the 'shortage rule'.
      killing newbs since 2002

Comment

Well originally I was 5-5-6, guess I got downgraded. Reckful still a 6 though?
        Former TW Staff

Comment

Originally posted by Pressure View Post
          6-star package 5 is pretty unfair.. warportal, jatt, viop, and spirit are the best 4 across all packages (excluding Dutch Baser) and they're in one package together.

How is Shaddow a 5? He's a pretty worthy 6 in basing.
          I've spoken to several captains in private about which packages they thought were the strongest, and package 5 never came up.

If you look at the packages the top player on each list could have an argument made to be a 7. The more important question we ask is "will they get played as a 7?" I made all the packages myself, and tried to balance them, with the understanding that even with that intention they still won't be perfectly balanced and some packages will be better than the others. It's up to the captains to determine which is which.

It's also in the eye of the beholder. I can tell you for a fact there's a captain out there (obviously won't say who) who thinks warportal is washed up and hasn't been relevant in years, Jatt should be a 5 and is a horrid spider who just strays like an idiot under, and viop should be a 5 and is complete garbage in shark, and wouldn't pick this package in a million years. You happen to think it's the strongest package. I think all those basers are solid players and it's balanced.

The important thing is that every package is has some quality players. I think that is 100% the case. It's fine for several packages to be better than the others, that's what I want. It adds a strategic element to when/which package to pick.

Shaddow is a 6 imo, however there's some strong competition in the 6-star packages, and we felt that he would see more playtime as a 5 and that it wouldn't break the game. He's definitely the most valuable 5-star baser in the draft. I would pick-up his package in a heartbeat. That said, I can understand how it could be insulting considering he bases quite a bit. If he has an issue with this, I will gladly bump him back up to a 6 and put him in a 6-star package. His call.

I've had a lot of players beg me for lower ratings feeling they wouldn't get in as 7 or 6-stars. I wanted to be a 6-star wb myself but Mythril/Racka wouldn't let me, rip.
          top 100 basers list

Comment

yo its better to be a 5* if you want to play anyway. These ratings don't matter because these guys were generous as fuck with these ratings this year. (mainly the 7-8* players)

Comment

On one hand, I want to play. But on the other, I want this league to also serve its purpose more, and give chances more to those who want to play more and get noticed. I feel as a 6 I would still get decent playtime in base, which is the only league I am really interested in (still more than happy to play others though). I don'd mind getting less playtime if someone who needs it more gets it over me.
              tl;dr Putting me in the 6* packages would give more playtime to those who this league is designed to give a chance to.

If the goal of the league has legitimately changed though, I would be fine sticking at 5 and playing more.
              Former TW Staff

Comment

Originally posted by Shaddowknight View Post
                On one hand, I want to play. But on the other, I want this league to also serve its purpose more, and give chances more to those who want to play more and get noticed. I feel as a 6 I would still get decent playtime in base, which is the only league I am really interested in (still more than happy to play others though). I don'd mind getting less playtime if someone who needs it more gets it over me.
                tl;dr Putting me in the 6* packages would give more playtime to those who this league is designed to give a chance to.

If the goal of the league has legitimately changed though, I would be fine sticking at 5 and playing more.
                The goal hasn't changed, but the realities of the signup numbers and amount of persons who are legit 5-star and 6-star players has. Which is why I relaxed the rules as to who could play as 5-star or 6-star. The number of 5-stars is quite small, 5 per team mostly, + some 6-stars who are 5s in certain leagues. I went through all 200+ players with seven people when I relaxed the rule and upgraded almost every 7+ star vet from 5 to 6 stars in most leagues.

Also keep in mind any benched package players are the only ones eligible to play on other teams when benched. So I think you're fine as a 5-star package player. Trying to get as many new, casual and TWD players in is still an important goal, but the reality of the situation is that the majority of the signups are veterans, and %-wise the majority of the people who show to games are veterans, so I don't want to go out of my way to punish them for being good/showing.

I'm killing two birds with one stone by having benched 5/6 star players moved to other teams that need them -- Forfeits is a HUGe issue every year, and I'm giving newer players more playtime. It's win-win. The forceadd feature qan added to the bots is going to likely be the biggest success of this TWDT, I think.

The 6-star requirement was also a stroke of genius, I wish I had thought of it myself but I can't take credit (forgot who it was.) While some of the loftier rules/ideas have been toned down, I think it will be a significant improvement compared to last year, where there were 40+ people on the Free Agency list rotting, the only requirement was a 5-star (and you could bid 5-stars on anyone in FA and play them as a 5-star) and the 5-stars in the draft included people like Best, Rasaq, and 24, who were MVPing as 5-stars... not to mention two teams died mid-season, and there was no TWDT-J winner...
                Last edited by ogron; 06-20-2014, 03:54 PM.
                top 100 basers list

Comment

Someone mentioned it before, but I don't think that I saw it answered. I'll use my numbers as the example here, 10/7/6 that allows me to play as a 6* in basing, but within basing, people are able to also play as a special ship. What the person asked was simply; would I, being ranked as a 10 in warbird, be allowed to fill a 6* spot in basing as the special ship slot as a warbird, or jav if I so chose?

Comment

No problem claus then. I understand the issue with a lack of 5*/6* players. Adjusting to need both a 5* and 6* is a good move though.
                    Former TW Staff

Comment

Originally posted by LaSenza View Post
                      Someone mentioned it before, but I don't think that I saw it answered. I'll use my numbers as the example here, 10/7/6 that allows me to play as a 6* in basing, but within basing, people are able to also play as a special ship. What the person asked was simply; would I, being ranked as a 10 in warbird, be allowed to fill a 6* spot in basing as the special ship slot as a warbird, or jav if I so chose?
                      This is a pretty stupid question imo. Your talking about basing. Forget your ship selection during basing. Your basing rank is a 6, hence you will be counted as a 6 for a basing match. Simple. Claus can confirm.

And as for me...am confidently a top 6-star pick amongst the litter. Can jav too claus. Put the mustard bomber next to my name. Pick torontooooo.
                      - You need people like me. So you can point your finger and say that's the bad guy.

Comment

there's no special ship rule in twdtb anymore. but yes you could wb in base as a 6*

Comment

Originally posted by LaSenza View Post
                          You would be ranked as a 6... the ship you play in basing is irrelevant.

On the topic of specials, there used to be a rule that it was mandatory to have a special in base, but it was abolished after the 2012 season. Last year everyone played 5 spids. The rule was really unbalanced, if you didn't draft Megaman89, M_M God, Turban, or Domi, you were at a huge disadvantage in base. So if you were pick #5-8 you were likely screwed in base. I have no intention of re-instating that rule, it was simply there to make TWDT-B "different" from TWL, and it was always a bad idea (imo). So expect to see most teams play 5 spiders.
                          top 100 basers list

Comment

UPDATE:

-Added Mythril, Stayon and Jamal to the TOP OVERALL PICKS.
                            -Added kess to the TOP BASERS.
                            -Removed Cape and USOi from the draft (they can't play.)
                            top 100 basers list

Comment

Originally posted by zidane View Post
                              there's no special ship rule in twdtb anymore. but yes you could wb in base as a 6*
                              holy shit what does twdtb stand for? i imagine the first part is trench wars :P
                              wicket666> frogs can mate withthem selves

wicket666> they are a sexual

Pepe the F> sounds like they turning Japanese

flojo> their ribbited for your pleasure

Comment

Originally posted by DKFett View Post
                                holy shit what does twdtb stand for? i imagine the first part is trench wars :P
                                twdtb = Trench Wars Draft Tournament Basing
                                killing newbs since 2002

Comment

Working...
                                X