Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ITT crunchy tunes thread (no youtube videos please)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ITT crunchy tunes thread (no youtube videos please)

rock n roll music aint dead yall, its just back underground

dont get me wrong, i love music videos, but it seems like every music thread devolves into people basically tossing youtube videos up and saying WATCH THIS, SO CRUNCHY BRO. if you can't take the time to tell me why you like the video, then i assume you don't actually like it - so hey why should i

so the challenge is, write about music you love as if you actually love it and you're not just bouncing the latest pop culture at me. you can throw a text link up to a youtube video, but if you embed the video i will find some way to make you suffer.

i will start:

recently i've been listening to an awesome band out of portland called RED FANG. they have just put out a new record, it's pretty tight. they are a great rock'n'roll band, and their sound i guess evokes "sludgy" or "stonery" sounds - plodding riffs, with tons of bass, with crazy lyrics about dragging boats across deserts and hellhounds from outer space (sent to erase the human race). and yet, their songs usually clock in under 5 minutes, and they don't spend alot of time doing long, slow, ambient 'soundscapes' that you might find plopped in the middle of a doomsy-type metal record. it's tightly wound, explodes out of the gate, keeps you tappin your chest and then it's over, and you're wondering what just happened.

but the best part about them is the fact that they are also kind of goofy. for instance, their music video for "prehistoric dog" is about them making LARP armor out of empty beer cans and assaulting a bunch of LARPers in a public park. bonus: they weave in footage of them drinking all the beer cans they need to do it, and watching them repeatedly puke shows just how dedicated they are to the craft of entertainment (or a tragic commentary on alcoholism, who knows)

in a world where just about every sweet riff has been riffed, these guys have been putting out epic rock'n'roll for the past few years and they don't seem to be letting up. check them out.
    NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

TL;DR: Here's a song from a band Jerome likes:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQPfQvLIseA
    wicket666> frogs can mate withthem selves

wicket666> they are a sexual

Pepe the F> sounds like they turning Japanese

flojo> their ribbited for your pleasure

Comment

this week in jeromological auditory exploritification:

the delightful and pleasing sounds of the original chill-wave band, toro y moi

toro y moi is this pretty stereotypical looking pacific islander/asian guy, backed up by a pretty talented band of multi-instrumentalists. toro y moi is probably most well-known as the group that popularized the term "chill-wave", though i am sure they are not too proud of that.

they are one of my favorite groups in terms of musicality. although they stay pretty "electronic" on their records, with a minimum of instrumentation complimented primarily by keyboards, samples, and vocals buried down in effects - live, it's a different story altogether. a great example of the dynamic approach to the music can be found by listening to the album track "studies" from 2013's Anything in Return and comparing it to a live version, a great example is found here via Seattle's own KEXP.

they rock enough to jam too, yet they have a pop edge that makes them a mainstay on any party playlists I make. on top of that, 2011's Underneath the Pine is one of my favorite albums to make love to, i'm pretty sure it improves the overall sexual experience by at least 15%. they weave in and out of faster, more urgent sounds but balance it out with a mellowness that never gets too boring.

all-in-all, this is an electronic/pop record for people who hate electronic/pop music, especially anything called "chill-wave". toro y moi makes a classier, sexier music for classier, sexier people.

internet de la jerome

Comment

let it die jerome
        1:Rasaq> i scrub really hard with toilet paper so little pieces of it get stuck to my anus hair and then later on when im watching tv i like to pull them out slowly because it feels pretty good

1:Mutalisk> heard that n1111ga okyo got some DSLs

Paradise> No names but there's actually a black man in the arena right now.

Jones> MAAAAN1111GA UCHIHA

Paradise> NO NAMES. NOT A SINGLE NAME.....but 3/6 of the players on Force are of a certain descent. I will not go any further.

Comment

Originally posted by Crescent Seal View Post
          let it die jerome
          the only people who would post worthy replies in this thread no longer visit TWForums, and i'm a narcissist, so a music thread where only i post is pretty much as ideal as it can get on the 2014 twforums.

internet de la jerome

Comment

up next on jerome danza's rock music extravaganza: EYEHATEGOD

novices need not apply, fans of Pallbearer, Converge, Electric Wizard... have probably already heard eyehategod, so it would be useless to recommend the band to such clientele.

Coming straight from the swamps of New Orleans, EYEHATEGOD channels brutality in a sludgy, southern fashion. Their sounds seem to emerge from the oil-soaked, polluted gulf waters and smash through you like Hurricane Katrina. At one point they were Guiness-certified as the LOUDEST BAND OF ALL TIME, and to see them live is, quite literally, a brush with death. I myself had to visit a hospital after a show where I stood too close to the speakers, it turned out that the bass was so heavy it loosened up years of nicotine and tar in my lungs and caused me to almost choke to death. So fuck your "dubstep", fuck your "EDM", you haven't heard bass until it has almost killed you, and EYEHATEGOD most certainly wants to fucking kill you. With bass.

This isn't some "deathcore" bullshit, no "Bullet For My Valentine", "As I Lay Dying", "Atilla" pappy crap. You won't see scene kids at an EYEHATEGOD show, unless they're in the middle of the pit having their gages and piercings ceremonially being ripped out. to listen to EYEHATEGOD is to experience a part of the human condition that we all know exists, yet desperately try to keep shoved down in the dampest, dankest, darkest corners of our souls.

for a sonic treat, i recommend their latest release, a track which must be put in all caps: NEW ORLEANS IS THE NEW VIETNAM.

Unlike most "grindy" or "doomy" music, EHG underscores their sound with a heavy Southern rock influence, so most of the sound starts with a crunchy riff, explored in just about every sonic possibility, gaining dynamics and eventually exploding into your ears. its guuud.
            Last edited by Jerome Scuggs; 06-30-2014, 09:29 PM.

internet de la jerome

Comment

Like marvelling at the crazily religious, or are you just religious with that crazy? Do you sure like to boogie, or maybe your thing is WWE ? - get yerself down to the local Thinking Fellers Union and start feeling weird.

This fan-made video sure is looking pretty nice to my eyes oh hello there

PS yes a link

PPS don't wAtch this if ur a fukin faggot thanks

Comment

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM GONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA SWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGG

FROM THE CHADELIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRR, FROM THE CHANDELIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
                duel pasta <ER>> i can lick my asshole

Mattey> put me in corch

zidane> go kf urself pork

Comment

HOLD THE FUCK UP

because veteran rock'n'roll veterans CEDRIC BIXLER-ZAVALA and OMAR-RODRIGUEZ-LOPEZ have joined forces YET AGAIN to form a most perfect union, and it is called ANTEMASQUE.

"ante-masque? i hate the sound of it"

You might remember Cedric & Omar from such class acts as AT THE DRIVE-IN and THE MARS VOLTA, and quite frankly ANTEMASQUE sounds like a perfect, bastard child of both groups. Shredding riffs, beautiful bass lines courtesy of RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS' Flea, topped with seasoned, multi-register vocals. Did I even fucking mention the DRUMS?!

I'm not even going to link to a youtube video because you should already be in another tab, googling every fucking thing there is to google about ANTEMASQUE. Their debut record is about 18 years in the making. After spending over a decade on the fringes of popular culture, exploring every sound from "post-hardcore" to "dub reggae" to "prog rock" to "whatever the fuck the last mars volta album was supposed to be", the former ATDI and TMV frontmen have finally spun a record that takes on more mainstream, traditional forms such as "choruses" and "three-minute long songs", and gives them a twist that only they can give. The result is a record that transcends sub-genre and can only be described as pure, balls-to-the-wall ROCK AND ROLL.

You didn't even know music like this existed. Treat yo self.

internet de la jerome

Comment

People are beginning to understand that they are narcissists & sociopaths. They have begun to type in posts and profiles "Im a narcissist" or "Im a sociopath" & realize they serve darkness. But they should also wake up to & learn about other things as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Tone View Post
                      But they should also wake up to & learn about other things as well.

I agree, and one of the things they should learn about is LISTENER and his most recent release, WOODEN HEART.

Listener started out as an "underground spoken word hip hop" artist. What that translated to, in reality, was a whiny guy from Arkansas trying to do his best Atmosphere impersonation, accompanied by an acoustic guitar, as on 2005's Return to Struggleville.

However, like most things which in the end are beautiful and worthwhile, this little Fayetteville nugget took time to mature, grow, develop, improve, and reinvent. While I bided my time listening to other records, Listener developed a solid sound which he may truly call his own.

The most obvious comparison to make is Bob Dylan. Dan Smith's lyrics are... poetry. Phenomenal. The kind of spoken word that gives you the pee-shivers down your spine. He spits his songs out like they are torture on his soul, and the meaning is embellished sonically with what is now a full-fledged backing band. Listener's words explode at you, and Listener's guitars carry the buildup, the drums mediate the frenetic pace until it finally comes crashing down and in the middle of it, you're having an epiphany, drowning in realization. And Dan Smith reappears again, whimpering, almost weakened by the cacophany just witnessed.

Don't believe me? Try it out for yourself.

In short, to listen to Listener is to experience a truly cathartic thing. I recommend it.

internet de la jerome

Comment

i'm not gonna bore y'all with details on this one, just two werds:

CHARLES BRADLEY

okay maybe some more words because whatever. charles bradley is this awesome singer, soul man, maybe one of the late last greats. fans of curtis mayfield will understand the love here. slow jams, powerful jams, jams to make you jam.

internet de la jerome

Comment

this is a great surprise
                          Originally posted by turmio
                          jeenyuss seemingly without reason if he didn't have clean flours in his bag.
                          Originally posted by grand
                          I've been afk eating an apple and watching the late night news...

Comment

Working...
                          X