LT Hunter freq in Pub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LT Hunter freq in Pub

Some of you may have noticed that I've recently added an LT Hunter freq in Pub (freq =99).

This is a recent collaborative change made with Azov, who LTs a bit himself. In the past, most Levi changes have been aimed at weakening the Levi or restricting it in some way. This one is focused on incentivizing the hunting of LTs, with the idea being that if we can increase hunting in response to LTs, we can also remove some of the penalties that have been imposed on them in the past. In this fashion, it would even itself out naturally, as it should in the best of circumstances, rather than simply trying to pen LTs into a very small cage and blame them for ruining the basing game.

After all, they're a big part of pub. Always have been, always will be. Theoretically, a healthy TW pub should always have LTs going.

The only real issue is that the sophistication of hunting has not kept pace with the advancement of LT tactics. At their most powerful and most organized, LTs are close to unkillable (without a dedicated group of people to hunt them). Once you have 2+ Levis and 1 or more Sharks + a gunner, you can roll over just about anyone, so long as your Terr is capable.

So rather than make them less (and less (and less)) powerful until nobody even wants to LT anymore -- and after all, reducing pub population by restriction instead of by letting LTs run wild is probably even more likely to create bitter feelings in the community -- why not give hunters a little edge in tracking them down?

LT Hunter Freq attributes:
    + All LT kill bonuses are shared among the entire freq (or, more specifically, among those actively hunting).
    + Solo Terrs on Hunter Freq receive the same bonus that Terrs on public freqs receive as long as there are active LeviTerrs.
    + $15 more per Levi kill, regardless of whether they are attached to a Terr or not.

- No award for winning base game.
    - No extra money earned while holding flag or for being in base.
    - Can't be Levi.

At one point I also had it giving positions of any active LTs, but this was considered a bit excessive. Perhaps we might see this come back if there's a chance to think it over and LTs get something quite good in return (L3?). Or perhaps a very vague indicator could work instead, such as one of the following: "in base" / "in space" / "in spawn" / "in safe"

Ideally, this could result in 4 main freqs during high-population times: the two public freqs which are either basing or spawnkilling, an LT freq, and an LT Hunter freq. It remains to see if the rewards are significant enough to make this happen, but I think we do know already that there are quite a few Levi haters out there, as well as people who enjoy LTing who also happen to enjoy hunting. It may also take some of the guilt/blame off of LTs... i.e., "You say we're ruining basing? Quit whining, get on the Hunter Freq and kill us!"

Interested to hear what people have to say about this, especially LTs. Remember, the idea is to relax some of the less enjoyable restrictions placed on LTs (or ones that may not target them specifically, but are for the most part based on limiting them).

In response to this addition, I've already done the following:
    • Increased private freq cap vs current size of public freqs. (We might be able to remove this altogether if there is consistent hunting going on.)
    • Reduced cooldown time between detaching from an LT and being able to !buy from 30 to 15 seconds. (Another one we could remove entirely, along with LTs not being able to !buy while attached.)
    • Increased price of PurePub from $50K to $60K and SortaPurePub (Levis only on pub freqs) to $40K. (These could still be raised further.)
    • (Older change) Reduced PurePub and SortaPurePub length from 30 minutes to 20 minutes.
    • (Older change) Made !buy purepub allow Levis to stay on their freq and keep bounty as long as they make no kills during this time.
    • BUGFIX: ThePAP and I (and testers Johnno and 9th <ZH>) have fixed the issue where the bot would tell you "LTs can't buy outside of safe," even if you had no Levis attached.

Again, if we can incentivize hunting sufficiently well, perhaps we could always see the Hunter freq active. This means much less of a need to restrict LTs. And, yes, we might even be able to bring back L3. It's something worth trying for, no?

If you're an LTer, you might even think about doing some hunting when the LT freq gets too big. It's a fun time for both hunters and LTs, it keeps the LT from being able to stifle the base game, and it makes you a good bit of spacedollars to boot.

Let me know what you think.
    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
    -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

There is quite a bit of information there, but I largely approve of the above. I take exception to the coording of the lt as that is tantamount to spec hunting - a long standing rule in public arenas.
    killing newbs since 2002

Comment

Just remove the fucking levis already for fucks sake! It's the same 10 retards lt'ing anyways, no one is going to miss them.

Comment

add a levi lpcation alert once they reach certain bounty threshholds. At decent bty, just a vague location, but high bty exact coords
        Former TW Staff

Comment

location coording? whut no man
          why u think speccoording is illegal
          Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Comment

I like how you've made a step toward controlling a levi or at least making it a little more beneficial to hunt them, but I think a couple ideas from the previous Leviathan thread should be incorporated... like no lts with only 10 ppl in, or purepubs scheduled for certain days.
            idkidc1233

Comment

Originally posted by qan View Post

The only real issue is that the sophistication of hunting has not kept pace with the advancement of LT tactics.

A bigger issue is the population doesn't tend to support the ability to hunt properly a LT with 2 levs, a shark, and possibly an ablative shield (gunner). Hell, that's more than a pub freq during plenty of times during the day.

Originally posted by qan View Post
              -- why not give hunters a little edge in tracking them down?
              This isn't going to work in and of itself, since you have to get people to move to a freq with no basing benefits - and usually the big problem is getting enough people to go after the lt, so don't expect people to head over there. If you can get enough people, they still want to be on the team getting base benefits. Especially where there is a minimal amount of people in a freq, you want a freq to go off and not base? In that way, they contribute just as little as a priv lev freq, EXCEPT they might eventually kill the lame lev.

Personally, the current climate doesn't promote LTing like in "the good old days". I didn't like them then, either, but at least you could relatively easily get a critical mass of people to hunt them. Now, that doesn't happen, and I don't see this (hunter freq) suddenly making it happen either.

Comment

Im sure those little bonus moneys wont make a baser interested into hunting some shitty runner and waste his time that way. Grant that freq an ability to buy thors and it might generate interest.

Comment

Don't really care about useless changes but while you're at it, make it so that ONLY PLAYERS ON FREQ 99 (ANTI-LT FREQ) CAN PURCHASE ANTI-WARP

Every time I've complained about anti-warp ruining pub basing for terrs, staff defense has been "anti-warp prevents LT attacks"

So, now that you have a freq specialized to prevent LT's, remove anti-warp from pub basing freqs and add it only to the anti-LT freq. This way you have these freq 99 pubbers running around base hunting the LT using anti-warp however they please while I am uninhibited from doing what I like to do in the flag room. Thanks #yolo

Comment

Originally posted by Pressure View Post
                    Don't really care about useless changes but while you're at it, make it so that ONLY PLAYERS ON FREQ 99 (ANTI-LT FREQ) CAN PURCHASE ANTI-WARP

Every time I've complained about anti-warp ruining pub basing for terrs, staff defense has been "anti-warp prevents LT attacks"

So, now that you have a freq specialized to prevent LT's, remove anti-warp from pub basing freqs and add it only to the anti-LT freq. This way you have these freq 99 pubbers running around base hunting the LT using anti-warp however they please while I am uninhibited from doing what I like to do in the flag room. Thanks #yolo
                    Can't say I'm for this. You want to keep levs trapped once they attach, or keep a terr from just portaling around (so when you're trying to clean out base, it reduces their options)... you have to use the antiwarp to achieve that. Secondly, my earlier point about getting enough people to move to a non-points-basing freq? Not going to happen.

And of course, just because you are on freq 99 doesn't imply you have to go chase the levs. You can just do what you want, really, like inhibiting what terrs may like to do in the flag room.

Comment

"So rather than make them less (and less (and less)) powerful until nobody even wants to LT anymore -- and after all, reducing pub population by restriction instead of by letting LTs run wild is probably even more likely to create bitter feelings in the community -- why not give hunters a little edge in tracking them down?"

What a load of shit. It's going to create bitter feelings among the 8 assholes who LT. Fuck them. This is the same idiotic thinking you displayed when you claimed the ability to buy garbage like base terr doesn't really affect the game. When I complained about the Shield, someone increased its price and probably felt mighty proud that he had "solved" a problem. All that did was increase the advantage long time players have over noobs. You really think someone with a million pub bux is gonna give a shit about the difference between 8000 and 6000?

Has anyone even switched to the LT hunter freq? I sure haven't, and I don't intend to. I know I'm going to be the only one on there and I will lose all my teammates' help and information on LT sightings. What a stupid idea. There aren't enough players on the main teams and you're gonna try to reduce the main teams even further? Brilliant. Hey, I know. Why don't you put in an LT-hunting bot that people can buy? Buying shit doesn't affect the game anyway, and every problem can be solved by adding retarded "features".

Why is it still possible for more than 3 people to attach to a terr? Why is it still possible to buy a bunch of shit? Why haven't these retarded changes been reversed already? Why should a private freq be restricted? What if it doesn't have a levi and wants to take the flag?

And why do people who are outside the flag room when it shrinks get warped in the flag room?

I don't care about fucking hunting freqs. I just want to base. I don't want to hunt fucking LTs. Why is that so hard to understand? Alternate levi weeks with no-levi weeks and see which gets more people. Or alternate levi days with no-levi days. And a third day with levis on main freqs only. That way people don't have to wait very long to play the way they want.

The people who play this game are different from the ones who played a decade ago. Back then, people were slightly less retarded. They didn't just sit there and get blasted over and over again (well, sometimes they did). Still, eventually they got off their dumb asses and went after the LT. Nowadays, the morons don't do anything, even when the levi's in mid. Even if it's just a plain levi. They just die over and over again. And the stupidest of those people become staff.

"It may also take some of the guilt/blame off of LTs... i.e., "You say we're ruining basing? Quit whining, get on the Hunter Freq and kill us!""

Do you listen to yourself? Do you reread what you've written before posting? You think they have any guilt at all? You think we needed a fucking hunting freq to kill LTs? How did we manage all these years without it? What we need are some teammates who aren't fucking retarded and who try to kill the thing that's killing them. Get me some of those. Keep your bullshit freq.

Comment

Originally posted by Pressure View Post

i agree with this
                        the antiwarp disrupts the gameplay for baseterriers who stimulate the basegame in pub
                        ITS FREAKN ANNOYING
                        Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Comment

Make !buy only doable in safes again then, so terrs can't keep buying portals. And then people have to go to safe to buy anti.

Comment

would it be possible to change prices depending on safe/not safe, like let a terr buy ports/bursts while in the base butttt charge them out the ass for it
                            NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

it should be possible, but the !buy menu would look pretty messy and be confuising.
                              If it was made a flat multiplier and was mentioned several times on !buy menu, and broadly made known of the change, it may work with less messyness on the !buy menu
                              Former TW Staff

Comment

Working...
                              X