No announcement yet.

Pub Squads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about a concrete job for Turban and friends to accomplish.

1. Take the top 3 player scores once every 2 weeks. Create a rectangular box inside of the asteroid belt above the flag room, surround it with asteroids, or put it directly above the belt. Inside that box, write down the names of the 3 players, with their total score. make it a list, start at 1 and ending at 3 with 2 in the middle. Okay? This is easy, super important, every game in existence starting with Pacman has this, for a reason. It is the only reason to play any game. To win. New players play the game and have no idea how to even beat it. Now they know the second they logon.

2. Can fork make maps? Can ephemeral? One of you other ass fuck losers? Go to DSB's tutorial map. Make one for TW. Then, when we logon, it will say "?GO Tutorial to learn to play" in green, instead of saying nothing at all like it does now. You know what? You can start now by having it say "NEW TO THE GAME? Press f1 for help!"

This game is dying because we are not getting new players, simple things like this are time effective ways that will help with their staying past the first visit.

Comment

Originally posted by Vatican Assassin View Post
      1. Take the top 3 player scores once every 2 weeks. Create a rectangular box inside of the asteroid belt above the flag room, surround it with asteroids, or put it directly above the belt. Inside that box, write down the names of the 3 players, with their total score. make it a list, start at 1 and ending at 3 with 2 in the middle. Okay? This is easy, super important, every game in existence starting with Pacman has this, for a reason. It is the only reason to play any game. To win. New players play the game and have no idea how to even beat it. Now they know the second they logon.
      don't even distract them with your point #2 about the tutorial, this right here is so basic and practical of an idea it really is a little sad we don't have something like this.

then again i think the buzzword for TW is 'automation', god forbid a staffer has to do something manually like re-tile a leaderboard or even design a leaderboard lvz graphic
      NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

Originally posted by Vatican Assassin View Post
        ...Can ephemeral? One of you other ass fuck losers?...
        VA,
        I can code, I am proficient in .asp, aspx, PHP, and SQL. And of course I can work with html and css. I am also proficient with graphics. I have offered multiple times to help with Dev over the years but am pretty sure that my proficiencies do not match what is required to work on most of the TW dev stuff (either that or they simply blew me off for other reasons). I have developed a number of web base applications for large SQL databases and have designed a fair number of SQL databases themselves.
        But coding is something that I learned to get stuff done, it is not my career nor do I enjoy it. (Once I got established, I moved on to hiring coders and things that would make me more money.) But I’ll offer again, I stand ready to assist if someone wants to give me access thinks I can help.
        I can tell you right now I don’t work without specifications. It doesn’t have to be elaborate or even well done, and I am willing to write it myself if someone can communicate what the fuck is to be done. But as common sense dictates, going into a job without the job being defined is a recipe for feature creep, finger pointing, and/or missed targets.
        Eph

Comment

I think this was discussed before and the result was that the box would need to be manually changed everytime it needed to be updated and that all players would need to download the arena again everytime it changed.
          killing newbs since 2002

Comment

why not just let eph. help , he seems to care and is active . Its like this game forgot about axing, if he sux, Axe him but at least give him a shot.

Same goes for all these try hard sqds in TW , it time to let new ppl step up.

Comment

Originally posted by but...why...per... View Post
              I think this was discussed before and the result was that the box would need to be manually changed everytime it needed to be updated and that all players would need to download the arena again everytime it changed.
              Yeah I was actually afraid of the need to re-download the map. If that is the case, this page should be more prominent on our twd page: http://www.trenchwars.org/index.php?v=pubstats.

It should be front and center, and new players should see a link to it when they logon. Our current login welcoming is:

Welcome to Trench Wars - www.TrenchWars.org
              TW-PubSyst> [FLAG] ROUND 2 Freq 1 holding for 2:25, needs 0:35 more. [Time: 31:39]
              TW-PubSyst> Have suggestions for/complaints about pub? Use !comment <your comment> to leave a message for TWDev.

I would change it to make it more new user friendly, like so:

Welcome to Trench Wars - Go to www.TrenchWars.org to read about the game and see current high score leaders!
              New to the Game? Press F1 for help, or press ESC to choose your ship and start playing!
              TW-PubSyst> [FLAG] ROUND 2 Freq 1 holding for 2:25, needs 0:35 more. [Time: 31:39]

The welcome should be focused on the Newbs, returning players don't read it, and you can have the !comment advert as one of the random help adverts that pop up. Put the high scores front and center on the TWD page, so new players have a reason to visit it.

Comment

Working...
              X