X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

- Not focusing
    - Overthinking
    - Going hero mode
    - Being unlucky in the beginning also makes me tilt sometimes(eats, random strays, getting 2fered etc..)

Basically whenever i keep it simple, and just with enough focus, thats when i do better.
    This was mostly about when i jav, when i base i dont have these issues usually and can generally perform consistently.

Edit: Like u said Jones, the newbie/aliased effect gets me alot too, when i dont take ppl seriously, and i also used to suck when i played EG for some periods and came back to tw.
    Author of the clutchest and most tilting TEK of the century.

1:cripple> i luv lbj cock
    1:cripple> if he paid me 50k for every time i gave him a bj i'd do it

Comment

I play TW for fun so can't commentate on sucking or not trying hard enough or anything like that - at least not when I'm in the presence of such great players as Jones and zidane, as I'd just make a fool out of myself.
      But I have another game I do play with around 8000 active players in which I'm consistently among the top 10 players. I guess most things for that game would also apply for "try harding" in any game, and of course TW is included in this.

I've noticed that the "newbie" effect doesn't apply for me somehow, I try to never underestimate my opponents, however I have to admit it does get to me more when I lose to one compared to losing to a much well known player.
      From the previous posts of zidane I've read in the forums - and I'm not sure if they were serious posts or not - is that his mindset is truly the only way of playing your best. If you think you are the best, you won't let any factors get to you except for skill. Of course we have factors that aren't under your control in TW such as lag, but you shouldn't forget that you choose to play this game and eventually something that is not under your control irritating you will affect something that is under your control such as your tempers.
      Also I've learnt to not bother about people saying that playing competitively is the "wrong" way of playing, and on the same line, games are supposed to be fun and casual and all that. I think everyone has their own way of having fun and personally I have games that I play that are more fun to me trying my best to win and games where I can have the most fun just playing casually. Of course this understanding is changing with "e-sports" now being a thing and all that, but I'm bringing this up only because I've seen so many "boo-hoo you're good at a dying video game good job" arguments on TW and there are people who take these comments harshly.

Final notes, don't let factors that you cannot control get to your mind and as long as you keep your focus under control and minimise the effects of factors you can control, you will be good as long as you have the "skill" or in the case of TW, "enough practice".
      7:Ruhe In Frieden> wiat, how come everyone said jill was lebanese?
      7:raizin> LESBIAN, NOT LEANESE
      7:Almalexia> LOLIRL
      7:Ruhe In Frieden> lol
      7:CROW_CAW_CAW_CAW> hahah
      7:Berlin Wall> rofl

Comment

I used to have this quirk where I would start playing poorly every time a series of unexpected events happened to me in any match. These would include..

- dying to a team kill on my first death which was due to a bad shot made by the teammate
        - multiple out of radar shots killing me out of base where I wouldn't have the time to react on time
        - unfortunate spawn ship positioning and locations resulting in an instant death
        - obnoxious eats where a bomb would explode right next to their ship and they would take no damage (packet loss)

.. however, once I stopped giving a damn about all that and stopped trying to be one of the best, and accepted the fact that there is, in fact, very little luck involved in this game is when I started focusing on what truly matters: having fun in the game.

I have once again started to enjoy the game, and it is always a fun time to play with my friends or new teammates, or against opponents both old and new alike, and as a result I rarely do bad in a match -- and, when those rare occasions do happen, it is always my own fault in one way or the other. It is never the opponent being bad, but it is me being lesser player no matter who I am facing against. I still have an ego as I believe that on a good day I could be one of the best players in most ships, but realistically speaking I have accepted my mediocrity as my only true strength is the full understanding of the game physics, settings, and mechanics rather than having superior individual skill.

If you want to get better my best advice would be to keep on playing the game and focus on getting a better understanding and feel of the game mechanics. You will have to realize that the vast majority of your deaths are avoidable, with most of them being positional errors, temporal hesitation, panic shots or not reacting on time, and that if you are getting outplayed by an opponent they were simply better in that occasion. There is absolutely no point to believe that you are the best player in the arena and then start blaming other players when you are the one dying to their shots. If you are the competitive type, simply try your hardest and learn from your mistakes.

It is true that there are advanced mechanics involved that only the very few players have mastered, whether it is about intricate ship control or taking advantage of the game physics, but aside from that this game is very simple and beautiful, yet at the same time it is vastly complex with all the different variables in the game. This is one of the few games that no one can truly ever master with all the different ship settings, zones, leagues, and ways to manipulate your ships or playing mind games with your opponents.

Ciao.

Comment

When people go dumb on me I usually play poorly
          ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
          Failure teaches success.

Comment

I'll list some things that cause me to do bad these days, this is only concerning TWJD/TWLJ:

1) Typing during rounds - this should never be done in a hard game unless you're calling out deaths. you're only going to hurt your play severely if you whine

2) Too aggressive - Aggression bordering on stupidity/disrespect for your opponents is a recipe for losing to worse players

3) Over hunting high death players - targeting high deaths is a good way to win and lose games, something something double edged sword

4) Bad teamkills - I'm talking about blatantly bad teamkills that should never happen, once again this only matters if the game is important/hard

5) Shifting into base - NEVER shift into base because the enemy team will have a Roiwerk who is spending half the round straying outside base

Comment

Working...
            X