Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by inertube View Post
    Still a resolution limit in twdd/twdd2?

Can we at least reverse the res limit arenas? I would like to see the response to TWDD/TWDD2 having no resolution limit and twdd3 having one.
    I'll allow it. People could prac with 1920 for draft. Revisit this a month or so before next twl.
    TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

Originally posted by Kim View Post
      I've lagged out 3x in JD's before and its usually due to slow ploss. After playing this game for this long, I still don't understand how the user can do anything about it. I'd like to hear anyone's input on what slow packetloss would do to the player's lag and how other players would perceive it. Its kept me out of so many rounds even though my s2c and c2s are fine, and my ping is well under.
      So no one really responded it felt like to this question and I would love to hear a reply.
      If resolution is going to be finally set then so should ping times and amount of packet loss.

"What we don't want is increase the limits and suddenly everyone's going higher with their latency. - Because people do that to get an advantage just like they increase their packet loss.
      I'm not sure who we're missing out on with the current ones." - No one that wants to be competitive. If their packet loss/ping is still dial up quality that's their fault not the zone.

On the idea of unlockable zones. Without a dedicated squad to train or at least mentor or tell someone new what they are doing wrong doesn't seem a good idea though it would control some of the alt spam.
      All and All good ideas

Maybe rather than the "someone is watching you" with the spinning TW logo for other people to see medals you could earn another spinning award/medal/logo for rankings or squad ect. Not just the flags.

Comment

water u all fkin waring

lol
        Trench Wars Player

“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by Crescent Seal View Post
          dear god....the end truly is near
          so sexy, you are.
          Trench Wars Player

“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

Unlocking Res limits will kill this game, since most people who still play it don't use fucking amazing computers to do so. Almost everyone plays on a laptop, which almost all of them have lower resolution limits than what is being proposed.

The ONLY people who want to unlock resolutions are the few that have $3000 gaming desktops (since only those people even buy desktops nowadays anyways), and if this game is literally 'pay to win' as it will be with people like that, then kiss the game goodbye forever. It's already dying, but unlocking res won't help it. The only thing you'll do is alienate the majority of laptop users who play this game due to the super low-spec requirements.

But hey, if you want to kiss the 5 total players' asses in this game who have super computer desktops (like the huge nerds they are), then go for it. Just don't expect a happy outcome. They only want unlocked resolutions to essentially cheat vs the rest of the population. There is no benefit whatsoever in this game by having insanely large resolutions except for having advantages in leagues. Graphics don't get better with better resolutions like in actually modern games, so try actually thinking about why these people want the resolutions unlocked.
            RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
            RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

Originally posted by Exalt View Post
              Unlocking Res limits will kill this game, since most people who still play it don't use fucking amazing computers to do so. Almost everyone plays on a laptop, which almost all of them have lower resolution limits than what is being proposed.

The ONLY people who want to unlock resolutions are the few that have $3000 gaming desktops (since only those people even buy desktops nowadays anyways), and if this game is literally 'pay to win' as it will be with people like that, then kiss the game goodbye forever. It's already dying, but unlocking res won't help it. The only thing you'll do is alienate the majority of laptop users who play this game due to the super low-spec requirements.

But hey, if you want to kiss the 5 total players' asses in this game who have super computer desktops (like the huge nerds they are), then go for it. Just don't expect a happy outcome. They only want unlocked resolutions to essentially cheat vs the rest of the population. There is no benefit whatsoever in this game by having insanely large resolutions except for having advantages in leagues. Graphics don't get better with better resolutions like in actually modern games, so try actually thinking about why these people want the resolutions unlocked.
              What she said.
              - You need people like me. So you can point your finger and say that's the bad guy.

Comment

MMO games (World of Warcraft) and others have always made an effort to make the game easier and more newb friendly. I understand the need to retain veterans, but how about a way to keep the newbs so they can develop as well? I'm sure a lot of us started in Alpha Zone where we got negged and started negging others and learned the game. It can be pretty overwhelming to log into a game and get 1 shotted every 5 seconds.

How about a normal setting Alpha/chaos-like arena or event? The event can be held on a weekly or monthly basis like MoC (master of chaos) in chaos league, last person standing wins. This will give newbs a chance to green up and learn to maneuver ships without dying instantly, and allow vets to stay on top and compete.

Comment

exalt, youve got to be kidding about the 3000 dollar desktops. you have a point with the laptops. most of the laptops that have high resolutions are more expensive though they arent 3000 dollars either outside of the high end gaming ones.

for many years i played on an old lenovo laptop that cost 600 dollars attached to a 23" monitor supporting 1920x1080 resolution that cost 200 dollars with a keyboard and mouse that cost a combined 17 dollars. i locked in my FPS at 60 and it never dropped below it. those are 2009 prices. everything to do that now is even less.

stick to the argument where this game was designed for 1024x768 and 1280x1024, it at least has a decent leg to stand on.

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

also, the reason a lot of people like the 1920x1080 is that its an extremely common native resolution for desktops now. its nice not to have to switch.

Comment

and when i wasnt at my desk and wanted to play spaceships, i just played on whatever resolution my laptop supported and didnt whine about it.

Comment

I mean, personally I don't care much either way, since I can't use higher resolutions anyway. What I do find to be true though is that most people play on a laptop. What is also true is that upping the resolution does not increase the graphics or make the game look better. All it does is help people see enemies on their screen at further distances. If that's the goal, then admit it. Don't pretend otherwise. Also, if that's the goal, then you put everyone who doesn't want to spend money on a seperate monitor for a free, 20 year old game will be at a disadvantage to the few who do. People complain enough that brazilians use 56k dialup to gain an advantage, so what is different with higher resolutions l?
                        RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

of course its nice to be able to see a little farther. anyone who says otherwise is either kinda dumb, or playing on a resolution that is just plain ol too high to actually see anything. theres a sweet spot that just jives with the physical size of the monitor itself. on my 23" that happens to be its native resolution of 1920x1080. ship is still a decent size in the middle and my monitor doesnt try to wig out when it swaps to other resolutions (like i said, its old)

all i was saying is that while spending a little money to get a higher resolution might be necessary if you want it, its no where near a break the bank situation.

you can get a monitor that supports 1920x1080 and throw in a usb keyboard all for around 100 dollars.

Comment

I didn't say it wouldn't be nice to see further. I was asking is it necessary to make everyone that doesn't buy a new monitor severely disadvantaged to those that do? It destroys the balance of the game, and no one should have to pay money to play a free, 20 year old game effectively. Essentially, by removing resolution limits, you are letting players who have $ to throw away basically cheat. We call CE a cheat, yet what does it really do? It gives an advantage over everyone else that isn't using CE. We ban people for years for that. We ban people for years that lag cheat. What is lag cheating really? It's just a way of gaining an advantage. That's all this would be. It would be legally allowing those who have $ to waste on a monitor to cheat against the large majority of the population.

If we are going to allow this, then why have lag limits in this game? If gaining an advantage over the rest of the population is acceptable and wanted, then why do we not let every Brazilian and African bushman log in with their dialup modems to play? It's exactly the same concept. They will say it would be nice for them to play, so it should be accepted. Anyone that wants shitty lag like them can downgrade to AOL dialup at any time. It's their own fault in this age of technology if they don't downgrade to dialup to gain an advantage over everyone else.

That's the argument that should be used if resolution limits are removed, because it's a known fact that removing the limit is only to allow certain players basically cheat by seeing ships on screen that they normally wouldn't. If everyone had higher res, that's different, but it's obvious that most wont.
                            RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

Originally posted by Exalt View Post
                              I didn't say it wouldn't be nice to see further. I was asking is it necessary to make everyone that doesn't buy a new monitor severely disadvantaged to those that do? It destroys the balance of the game, and no one should have to pay money to play a free, 20 year old game effectively. Essentially, by removing resolution limits, you are letting players who have $ to throw away basically cheat. We call CE a cheat, yet what does it really do? It gives an advantage over everyone else that isn't using CE. We ban people for years for that. We ban people for years that lag cheat. What is lag cheating really? It's just a way of gaining an advantage. That's all this would be. It would be legally allowing those who have $ to waste on a monitor to cheat against the large majority of the population.

If we are going to allow this, then why have lag limits in this game? If gaining an advantage over the rest of the population is acceptable and wanted, then why do we not let every Brazilian and African bushman log in with their dialup modems to play? It's exactly the same concept. They will say it would be nice for them to play, so it should be accepted. Anyone that wants shitty lag like them can downgrade to AOL dialup at any time. It's their own fault in this age of technology if they don't downgrade to dialup to gain an advantage over everyone else.

That's the argument that should be used if resolution limits are removed, because it's a known fact that removing the limit is only to allow certain players basically cheat by seeing ships on screen that they normally wouldn't. If everyone had higher res, that's different, but it's obvious that most wont.
                              tl;dr Paladen would be #1 squad in TW.
                              "Action is the real measure of intelligence. "
                              Napoleon Hill

wiibimbo>I'm gonna take u out next week for a beer and pizza at Leonardo's...no homo tho! I prefer big boobs
                              Dral>I can get implants

Comment

I think a vote should be held at least. The issue is that there have been votes almost yearly for it, and almost yearly 80% of the population votes no. The 20% with great, high res monitors complain and say we live in an age of new technology. My response is to go play Call of Duty on your technologically advanced monitor then, since that's actually a game that higher res would make it look better. Higher res in TW can't change the shitty graphics, so it's only for the advantages that players know they'd gain.
                                RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

Working...
                                X