Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lower WBDuel/JavDuel... player requirement to 2v2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how did this thread about wbduel end up being something about TWDD?

Comment

Originally posted by Collossus View Post
      how did this thread about wbduel end up being something about TWDD?
      because shadowmere is a strange guy
      President of ?Go wbduel
      Hero of ?go Bug
      Trivia Master of ?go pub
      M3 student doctor (MD/MBA)
      Fide Candidate Master 2262 elo
      Solved over 600 evil sudokus (avrg time 6 mins)
      Future Trenchwars Sysop 2050
      Returning Dec 2017

Comment

Re: staff starting the under games, the reason I propose that is in the name of compromise. I'm just trying to find a place where the two sides can meet and agree.

Re: putting wbduel in pub, he was making a joke, pointing out the fact that we added dueling to pub, and that it now contains a hell of a lot more features than it once did back in the day.

Originally posted by Collossus
        Invalidation without a 3v3 is fine.
        I'm not sure what the problem is with legitimization. It might be safe to say that most people don't play wbduel for the rank nor the stats.
        People just want a game going when squad games aren't going on.

I'd be surprised if it's for anything more than practice or fun, yeah. Still, if these under-pop games are not legitimized, and restarted once minimum population is reached, it's much easier for everyone to agree to having them.

Shadow's point about TWD is the argument that wbduel is prep for TWDD. I don't really agree, personally. I used to occasionally play WBDuel several years ago, whereas the personalities found in many TWD games make me think rather poorly of the human race ... make MOBA communities look good by comparison ... such that I can't really stomach it, have absolutely no interest even if I weren't literally 15 years past the peak of my SS game.

So, WBDuel might offer a more casual pick-up game alternative, appealing to a far broader audience. But as leaguers do sometimes like to argue that they are the purpose and meaning of the zone (and, indeed, the various leagues are what keep many people engaged, though that's hardly the only path), one could further infer from that position that WBDuel has a purpose, which is for the development of TWDD skills.

I think enjoying a pick-up game during downtime, with a side benefit of improving DD skills, is a more accurate representation of how people use it. People don't think, "hm, I had better practice my dd skills." They think, "hm, wbduel would be fun." The goal is fun. It would be fun to be more competitive in DD. But that's a long-term aim. The immediate goal is fun in wbduel. And you can have neither fun in wbduel nor fun from being more competitive in DD if you can't get a game started because you're waiting around with 5 people, one guy leaves because he's sick of waiting, and 2 minutes later, another comes in who could have made it 3s.

We could promote other arenas that are more active when this happens, but much of the time when this happens, there really aren't any other active arenas, from what I've seen. If it's not abused and used in the wrong spots (thus, staff starting being a good first step, if not the final way), it can be the difference between people playing and them deciding to go play one of the other 400M internet games available to them.
        Last edited by qan; 03-11-2016, 02:21 AM.
        "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
        -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

make twld and twlj 2v2 and twlb on ddust2 map. when we launching on steam? heard its gonna save zone.

Comment

Working...
          X