Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Duel arena needed!

KING OF THE HILL!

Create an arena where there are only two small duel boxes.
    One for javelin, and the other for warbird.
    Assign them as box 1 and box 2.
    The commands to the bot will be !next1 or !next2
    The bot will respond with how many people are in line in front of you to duel.
    It will be a race to 5 for warbird, and a race to 3 for javelin.
    With a 5 minute timer on every duel.
    Create a ranking system for wins.

This way, any new player can go against a vet, just by waiting in line. Whereas that particular vet would never duel that new player in any circumstance. But in order to rank, and become "King of the Hill", they would have to take on everyone. Maybe the ranking system could include wins in a row from different aliases.

I think this arena, if implemented properly, would gain as much year-long recognition as ?go elim.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ?go duel is dead 80% of the year....

It's a cool idea in theory. Only way I see it working is implementing it to pub arena. Alongside with dueling for pub bucks.

We already have arenas like ufc and javufc which can be hosted in this way, but they aren't automated or ranked.

I am all for it if we have needed resources and we implement it to pub arena.
    Season 12 champion TWLD / TWLJ
    Season 18 champion TWLJ / TWLB
    Season 19 champion TWLB (C)

Season 6 champion TWDT-J TWDT-B (C)
    Season 10 champion TWDT-J (C)
    Season 11 champion TWDT-B (C)
    Season 13 champion TWDT-B (C)
    Season 17 TRIPLE CROWN TWDT (C)

The winningest TWDT captain of all time

Comment

When the 5 min timer ends, and the score is tied, maybe a 1-2 minute timer starts for sudden death. If nobody dies at the end of sudden death. it is a TIE (which could be calculated into ratings), or that duel is rated as a NO COUNT. And is not counted towards either player's rating... which is preferable to encourage people to fight against a clock.

Pub has it's own cash-flow system. But to encourage people in pub to duel... maybe allocate pubbux for daily winners of "King of the Hill" in ?go koth. That map hasn't been used in a decade anyway.
      Last edited by kamakazzi; 02-19-2016, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Sounds cool but i wouldn't mind a similar idea: 1 vs 1 style small box in pub where people wait in a cue to play (one for jav and one for warbird).... maybe you get a small spacebux reward after each win and rewards increase as you win more rounds. It will message everyone if there was a 10/ 15/ 20/ 25 etc kill streak tempting pros to join the cue.
        1:Hece> iv done good A (amphetamine) many times and ppl say u cant get your dick up on it..my dick works on every chemical i have tried so far

Comment

I like the idea... may have to come back from retirement just to play this as everyone knows i'm a duel fiend

Comment

Originally posted by Fork View Post
            Sounds cool but i wouldn't mind a similar idea: 1 vs 1 style small box in pub where people wait in a cue to play (one for jav and one for warbird).... maybe you get a small spacebux reward after each win and rewards increase as you win more rounds. It will message everyone if there was a 10/ 15/ 20/ 25 etc kill streak tempting pros to join the cue.
            Absolutely genious idea with the cue. I can't imagen it being implemented though, as it would require quite a bit of bot work.
            7:Ruhe In Frieden> wiat, how come everyone said jill was lebanese?
            7:raizin> LESBIAN, NOT LEANESE
            7:Almalexia> LOLIRL
            7:Ruhe In Frieden> lol
            7:CROW_CAW_CAW_CAW> hahah
            7:Berlin Wall> rofl

Comment

I like this ideA as well for pub setting. This one will be looked at and discussed by staff for sure!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Eren View Post
                Absolutely genious idea with the cue. I can't imagen it being implemented though, as it would require quite a bit of bot work.
                Lol, this was just an idea taken from e.g I think (or some other zone). Stole the idea but they didn't copyright it luckily. Ts later on Eren? Lol
                1:Hece> iv done good A (amphetamine) many times and ppl say u cant get your dick up on it..my dick works on every chemical i have tried so far

Comment

I guess if it's only handling 1v1s it wouldn't be that big of a bot. Could probably just gut DuelBot and hack it together to do KotH. Or could make a new one. The pain with that comes when you deal with all the extra stuff ... handling warps, lagouts, spawns, etc etc etc. And the 40 commands everyone inevitably wants, half of which never really get used.

Here's another problem. If it's 1v1, with a time limit of 5 minutes, and there's a queue, of, say, 3 people ahead of you, that's already a possible 15 minutes of waiting you have ahead of you. Duels can take time. It's pretty common for WBs to 5 or Javs to 3 to run 5 minutes, easy, if they can dodge at all. Then you've also got the issue of runners. What about that guy who makes 1 kill then spends the rest of the time running out the clock? You almost guarantee 2 things: that people will be inclined to play a cheap game, and that many games will run 5 minutes.

If the focus was on the "I can take on all comers" aspect, I think it could get action. But my (TRIGGER WARNING: PRETENSION) Amateur Game Designer instinct tells me that people just aren't gonna wait around that long, especially in a private arena. In pub they might, if they're idle anyway. But pub's incredibly crowded. And it would be a mess to add it to the PubSystem bot, which is already weighed down by all the little extras. Meanwhile, regardless of where you put it, you'll run into problems with people going AFK while they wait, or getting bored and dropping out. (Side note: You can easily do pubbux awards outside of pub, so don't let that tie you.)

In a private arena it might take work to get it going ... might be the kind of thing where a host would have to hype it a bit, especially at first. But elim would never have gotten started without our trusty Elim Refs.

Anyhow. So considering that with this setup, a lot of the gameplay (most of it, really) would be waiting in anticipation to see who becomes KotH next, I would advocate for something that would allow for nasty upsets and fluke wins. Something to make people rage enough when they lose to hop right back in the queue and keep it going, knowing that their wait time was not going to be 10-30 minutes before they could have a chance at grabbing the title again. (This is one reason why poker's addictive; you can play well, but you can always catch a bad beat and ruin your day.)

Make it about taking on a bunch of people in a row and being able to just steamroll over the top of everyone who comes at you. And do what is needed to ensure that the queue of people is actually, well, THERE, so that you have someone to take down.

That's the feeling, the emotion you'd be trying to capture. Sure, you might have to luck a few to do it but that just makes it all the more intense, and all the bigger an upset when a pro is unseated by a newbie. With this in mind I'd look at doing something diabolical ... sudden death, duels to 1.

Give it a minute.

Of course it would be just as easy to try it as a standard duel. But sudden death also has another advantage: it's easy as hell to implement. Lagout? You're done. Warp? You're done. Spawnkill? You only spawn once, at opposite ends, so it won't happen. Don't need to store who's made how many kills. It's just: did this guy make a kill? OK, he's the new king. Get the next one in. Put the one that died back in the queue so while he steams he can think about his next shot at victory. Think about the childhood game of foursquare. What kept you going? You could get eliminated like nothing, but you could also get back in it at a moment's notice.
                  "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
                  -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

Actually, that would be cool in and of itself, a foursquare event. 4 players, ranked 1 through 4 (randomly assigned to start). Small arena, first to die is eliminated. Then everyone moves up in rank. So if 2 is killed, 3 advances to 2, 4 advances to 3, and a new guy comes in as 4. Keep going until the timer is up, and the winner is the guy who is #1 at the end. Might try making that, wouldn't take long at all.
                    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
                    -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

Originally posted by qan View Post
                      Actually, that would be cool in and of itself, a foursquare event. 4 players, ranked 1 through 4 (randomly assigned to start). Small arena, first to die is eliminated. Then everyone moves up in rank. So if 2 is killed, 3 advances to 2, 4 advances to 3, and a new guy comes in as 4. Keep going until the timer is up, and the winner is the guy who is #1 at the end. Might try making that, wouldn't take long at all.
                      u da real MVP
                      President of ?Go wbduel
                      Hero of ?go Bug
                      Trivia Master of ?go pub
                      M3 student doctor (MD/MBA)
                      Fide Candidate Master 2262 elo
                      Solved over 600 evil sudokus (avrg time 6 mins)
                      Future Trenchwars Sysop 2050
                      Returning Dec 2017

Comment

Working...
                      X