Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steam Relaunch - General Info

The responses in this thread are really funny.. "no newb wants to base.." haha. Basing is definitely the most appealing attraction to this game. There really is no argument for dueling against basing. Simply put, a great basing game >>>>> a great dueling game.

Having said that, the main appeal for the vast majority of new players from 2000-2005 was pub squads. Pub, when it wasn't littered with the whole money system and all that nonsense, used to just be an individual point race to a 1,000,000, or a kill race to 10,000, or to an Ave rating of 200.0, until the scores reset Wednesday. The best pub squads (ie, FMM, Scumbags, Floydians) were actually desirable to join as a pubber. Watching players like Sweet Leaf or Twisted 1! or DUTCH MADNESS reach 10,000 kills and 1,000,000 points, or Relativity_17 going 2:1 with 2,000 kills and a 200.0 Ave was actually "inspiring" for a newbie pubber. The best squads had the best overall pub stats. No joke, make fun if you want, I remember being 10 years old and getting my first 1,000th kill (granted, I was like 1000-1500), I legit got up out of my chair applauding and PM'd the guy I killed congratulating him on being my 1000th kill and thanking him. That's how much fun pub was. (para I know you're reading this so stfu in advance in advance)

Even LT'ing was fun, because back then pub was bumping, no newbies playing for 2 months complained about LTs, and you could actually hit 2,000-3,000 bounty with a good terr like Y ? or spacedust. Things have changed because of the strange upgrades made to pub, and also because of the (warranted) emphasis on competitive play. We exchanged having a great pub system for having the ability to earn "cash" to buy "fireworks."

tl;dr: good pub squad dynamics = better pub player experience
    4:Best> pressure was a terr for halloween 4:Best> guy had 4 dudes on him attached

4:Siaxis> what time is it in zimbobwe para?

4:Children> every morning i wake up, look in the mirror and thank god i'm not paradise

4:Best> Mighty's forehead has wifi

4:Mighty> u guys ever eat a ketchup sandwich?

4:sphinx> mighty fought a raccoon in an alley for some bbq chips

4:RaCka> so what if paradise is dressing up as a slim jim for halloween?

newbs need to be in warbird, out in open space (spawn zone) - dumping someone in the middle of a basing game with absolutely no knowledge of the game or how to fly is going to just end up with them flying into walls, struggling to navigate around base and endlessly dying to experienced players in a confined space.

When we all started, it was in warbird and out of base....it's the simplest learning curve; people are looking at this through tinted glasses because they enjoy basing (with 10+ years experience), not what is best for new players.
    TWL-J Season 11 Champion
    TWL-J Season 21 Champion
    TWL-B Season 21 Champion
    TWDT-D 2017 Champion
    TWDT-J 2017 Champion

I would imagine new players would have a much easier time getting the hang of this game if they were all put in a very simplistic area with dueling ships. A large portion of the current (and past) players spent their first couple of days, weeks, months, or even years playing the public arena with one of the dueling ships in the middle of the arena to grasp the basic mechanics while slowly getting involved with the community through public squads and what not.

fuck these two above me. am 2 slow.

playing outside in spawn is the way to go for newbies. whether they are playing wb, spider or lanc doesn't matter as long as they get the satisfaction of getting a kill on another player not some arbitrary points/rating or pubbux.. W/L ratio is the king in this game when you're starting out unless you specifically make it all about getting the flag.

However, with the pubbux and warping to base and overall inactivity (spawn being empty) there is no doubt the game doesn't appeal anymore at all like it did when we started playing.

On the other hand you could always cut off the map and "force" people to play the flag-game. Looking at like 10-15 spiders trying to control mid-base could actually be fun too even if the fr area is ignored.

Other than that, I also enjoyed fr battles and basing when I was a newbie but I eventually migrated to elims because I just enjoyed playing solo that much more.

ps. I was also frequenting #mythrandir around this time and I saved screenshots from the LB cup of Pallies vs. Disoblige in season 5. Oh, those times...
    Quote Originally Posted by jerome
    can we stop and wonder in amazement at the fact that we play a VIDEO GAME that has "generations"???

Personally I can't stand TW's ship settings in pub, but I agree that newbies should be put in a very simplistic environment with simple ships.

And there should probably be steps taken to prevent experienced players hunting them for easy kills so that the newbies don't get frustrated even faster than they would otherwise.
    Violence> lag cheating niggir
    JAMAL> laggy no skill nebwie
    JuanJuan> you a fucking lagass cheater
    mAZe Of tOrM> try more faggot
    mAZe Of tOrM> u suck dick
    Shadowmere> Nice lag you fagf

What if they make it so when people die in spawn area (large area), you instant respawn (where u died at) and it would be like invincible mode until you enter base (die there and you respawn as normal). Doing this will make it more fun for newbies as dieing won't matter, it's more of a fun thing, and they can learn much faster this way. It's just coding it in might b tricky. Trial and error won't do any harm if someone has the time to do it.
    1:Hece> iv done good A (amphetamine) many times and ppl say u cant get your dick up on it..my dick works on every chemical i have tried so far

:)

tl:dr :)
    Last edited by Rasaq; 02-16-2017 at 07:02 PM. Reason: :)
    TWDT-D Champ x2
    TWDT-B Champ

I just want to reiterate my very strong feeling Pub size should be 25 max like it was in the old days. Have multiple pubs going as they fill up. I agree we should also go back to regular spawn zone outside of base for the launch. It improves newbs flying into base skillz and gives them a bit more time to gather themselves after each death. Fighting just to enter base is fun. Again ..I feel like tw-pubsystem should be closed down for a month during this too and go back to the ?buy feature in safes. I feel using the regular old system with the ?go base map that has a single entrance and games set to win with a 3 min hold is the way to go. Go back to the old basics that worked so well when most of us were starting. Stream line the game during this!

Any updates on a tutorial arena? We should really have that too before they are allowed into the active ongoing games.

What happened to being relocated to ?go afk after being idle too long in pub?

Quote Originally Posted by Rasaq View Post
    What happened to being relocated to ?go afk after being idle too long in pub?
    Yes ... This ^

Def a good idea to send afk to afk arena if we will be setting arena size limits.. which we should be doing.........

There's nothing worse than trying to work out keys and looking at the different types of ship, map elements etc but constantly getting spawned by players you know have been their eons.

New players could have a dedicated basing room for training for example.

When i started playing DSB for the first time the thing that kept me playing was the dueling outside of the safe zone (you guys could make a safe zone like DSB had ^^) and i got alot help from other players.
    Also i think it would be a great idea to make the new players join a squad automatically called "NEW" or something so we could easily help them out! Btw when is the relaunch? i will do my best to help new players out just tell me when ;)

Quote Originally Posted by lambi View Post
    When i started playing DSB for the first time the thing that kept me playing was the dueling outside of the safe zone (you guys could make a safe zone like DSB had ^^) and i got alot help from other players.
    Also i think it would be a great idea to make the new players join a squad automatically called "NEW" or something so we could easily help them out! Btw when is the relaunch? i will do my best to help new players out just tell me when ;)
    ^ Adding more to this on what kept me playing. The one thing was the competitive side which came later (prac matches just like javduel) so i think it wouldn't be a bad idea to add an 5v5 medium or small practice area in to PUB.

How about having a small tutorial outside pub itself. New players arriving to pub for the first time will automatically enter as a warbird and have to kill a bot or an AFK player selected from pub. The bot or player would simply just move up and down, bouncing into the wall above and below them. Thats all the bot or player does. I wonder if its possible for a bot to control a player? Here is the idea in picture form :)

1:Hece> iv done good A (amphetamine) many times and ppl say u cant get your dick up on it..my dick works on every chemical i have tried so far

Everything should spawn outside base in public, new people dont want to base strait away, they want to roam and kill stuff, then shut down wbduel and javduel, run baseelim and elim retrospectivey, elims are for more inclusive for players, than not getting picked in javduel or wbduel, plus in elim you can pick your own fights at your level, plus elim you wont get any abuse for letting your team down. Dd and jd for teams, elims for practice.

not reading all these posts but you should not put these new players into pub again, was a fkn disaster. no one knows what the point is or what the goal is whereas everyone knows what deathmatch is. make elim the arena people enter into.. at least people understand getting 1 kill and dying 10 times and maybe we'll get a few people who will try to improve. they'll know what the point is compared to pub being a complete dumpster fire
    Captain of the most winningest team in TWDT history - Power

Just did some TW advertising on this game so 500+ people could see my name on the highscores for a while until i died. Populations gonna increase like fk now.... (i wish)

When I first started in '98 I too was just struggling outside in spawn to stay alive for more than 5 seconds. Sort of like when I first got dumped into Team fortress 2, or COD. You sit there and die a bunch. That's how multiplayer games go. But after time of course you were able to get a shot off and have some success. Then I was immediately drawn to trying to get up into the base. Back then, every team had at least two sharks mining the hell out of the tube, and only two side entrances with the blocks that opened and closed. So it was a real challenge to even get up halfway. That, to me was part of the fun because when you finally got up there, then it was like a huge victory to get to mid base and you felt like you were making some real progress. Then there was a whole other battle going on just up in mid. Flagroom was more isolated than it is now, so it was hard. But then, especially to a new player, once you actually got in, you and your team had a real sense of accomplishment, and adrenaline, and anxiety over keeping it now. Those dynamics are what made me keep coming back. Eventually, I didn't even care about dueling out in spawn, it was all about trying to get up through the base.

I also remember logging in once, and a few of my squadmates were in there. I asked them, how long the other team had "held the flag" (do we even hear that anymore?"), and they said for almost an hour! That gave us a challenge, and kept me in there until we overtook the flag and then held it for over an hour! Then, part of the draw back to the game was, how long can my team,...or even better, how long can my squad on a priv freq hold the flag. Those are the two big things that stand out when I try to remember what made me really come back and play a lot.