Thread: Graphics Remastering via filtering

Graphics Remastering via filtering

The graphics tend to look quite old-fashioned in the default install, and not in a charming retro way. They're dithered, which is a technique that attempts to make up for a the lack of colors in a palette by scattering them around to create gradients. This results in severe graininess.

To fix this, I've tried running anisotropic smoothing over them using G'MIC. In a few cases, a little detail is lost, but on the whole the effect is removing the noise and resulting in a better-looking graphic that's still true to the original.

I'm proposing replacing the default graphics with something along these lines, and offering the default graphics (and sound) as a DLC.

Please take a look here and give feedback:

http://trenchwars.org/downloads/twgf...d-graphics.zip

(Note: ships are not filtered, because they really do lose detail. Other things such as fonts are also not filtered. If you want to use the filtered versions of the ships you can find them in the archive with -filtered added to the filename before the extension.)

If you want to play with a similar idea, here's the loop I used to output the graphics using G'MIC. It's run from the command line but uses the GIMP filters. You need to convert to PNG first, and then convert back to BMP2 or BMP3.

Code:
    FOR %%a in (*.png) DO gmic -i %%a -gimp_smooth_anisotropic 15,0.66,0.4,0.9,0.6,0.7,30,2,0,1,2,0,0 -o processed\%%a

"You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
    -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Also, general graphical replacements thread.

How should we organize this?

My initial thoughts are:

- Direct upgrade/remaster as default (something the community agrees is an actual improvement across the board)
    - Original graphics available as DLC
    - Alternate graphics as DLC, if anyone wants to put together some different graphics packs and offer those
    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."

Leland
    just leave it alone
    Leland

+1 leave it alone, the steam launch did not fail because of graphics

Could add in a refuel ship that drops greens and travels from right safe to left safe turns around and just goes back again.
    It could float in the background so ppl dont run into it or be in the for ground so people have to shoot around it fly around it.
    Just an idea

Also new colors to map new colors to walls ( base ) that user can choose in settings
    Maybe choose the color of your fighter? Everyone else sees default but you see different color on your fighter?

I am one of the few players who can not stand the current default graphics, and have been using custom graphics for over 10 years with many different versions over the years. However I highly doubt this change would make or break the first impressions of a player, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to offer an alternate (updated) graphics setting for the new players.

Make big bullets default. With these new resolutions its all most impossible to see those TINY default bullets.

Remeber the game wasnt designed for these new monitors and resolutions everyone plays on these days.

I tryed playing on one of my laptops not set up for ss on 1600x900 resolution, and the bullets were just stupidly tiny, almost unplayable!

IMO this should be a must fix.
    Last edited by olde; 01-17-2017 at 11:48 AM.

Agree with olde. Sometimes it's just damn hard to see bullets, and I haven't been able to get brighter bullets working on this new laptop for some reason.
    idkidc1233

Big bullets by default
    Anyone else agree with this? They really are damn hard to see. Original bullets would still be available in Classic DLC, which is almost finished.

If we went with this, which big bullets should we use?

Quote Originally Posted by qan View Post
    Anyone else agree with this? They really are damn hard to see.
    Yes.
    Violence> lag cheating niggir
    JAMAL> laggy no skill nebwie
    JuanJuan> you a fucking lagass cheater
    mAZe Of tOrM> try more faggot
    mAZe Of tOrM> u suck dick
    Shadowmere> Nice lag you fagf

Yes to big bullets. Wasn't it Pallies that had the link for big bullets? Playing on a laptop is hard enough for me, not having big bullets is a freakin' disaster.

I currently use the fireballs found on the spider from ?go Zelda for my WB/Weasal bullets and also the Lancaster/Levi bullets from that arena (they are just a bigger yellow version of the normal bullets). But for the spider bullets/jav bullets a larger size red bullet would work fine (just increase the size). Everything ealse on the other ships could remain the same Imo. Ps the fireballs look cool!

Leland
    make the map upside down. flip the map on the x axis

we fly south now.
    Leland