Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keyboard layout

"Laptop" key config, available as one of two choices during Steam install. (The other is Default/Classic keys.) Designed to eliminate the use of the F# keys (many laptops require you to press Fn plus an F# key to trigger the key itself rather than a special function), any keys that are often placed in strange places around a laptop keyboard, such as PgUp, Del, Home, etc., and most multiple key combinations, such as Shift+Ctrl for repel. Enter becomes the Message key, and letters and numbers are mapped to game functions. Reposted to link from another thread.

Code:
    KeyDef       = Laptop
    ReqMsgKey    = 1
    Joystick     = 0
    TurnLeft     = Left
    TurnRight    = Right
    Forward      = Up
    Reverse      = Down
    Afterburners = Shift
    Bomb         = Tab
    Bullet       = Ctrl
    Mine         = Q
    Thor         = E
    Multi        = S
    AntiWarp     = 4
    Stealth      = 3
    Cloak        = 2
    XRadar       = 1
    Repel        = Z
    Burst        = X
    Warp         = Space
    Portal       = C
    Decoy        = V
    Rocket       = W
    Brick        = D
    Attach       = A
    Cycle        = /
    PrevPlayer   = [
    NextPlayer   = ]
    PrevPage     = Shift [
    NextPage     = Shift ]
    Message      = Enter
    ViewMap      = Alt
    Macro1       = 6
    Macro2       = 7
    Macro3       = 8
    Macro4       = 9
    Macro5       = 0
    Macro6       = Shift 6
    Macro7       = Shift 7
    Macro8       = Shift 8
    Macro9       = Shift 9
    Macro10      = Shift 0
    Click here for an image of the layout.

"Modern" config is also available in the Steam distribution (uses Space to fire, plus a few other changes), but is not available as a choice during the installer to keep things simple.

If you're helping new players, please be aware that they may be using this key config.
    Last edited by qan; 11-14-2017 at 02:38 AM.
    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
    -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Quote Originally Posted by qan View Post
    I've happily used Z for years. But I also understand that it's not quite as responsive. Still, if that's an issue someone would care about, I think they're already a vet, and would use their own config.
    I use < button. Z for mines. Only because I played SVS few years ago and < was better for repping. It is quite easy to miss the effect shift+ctrl has when you're trying to rush someone and shoot as true thrustshots were removed years ago (check ?go ufc if they are still there) but it is easy for me to tell when this happens.

Shift+Tab (Mine) which you changed is the first thing I change when I am on a new pc. I would always get the 'You have too many mines' message otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerome
    can we stop and wonder in amazement at the fact that we play a VIDEO GAME that has "generations"???

the problem with using a letter is if you try to use it when you cant it puts a letter in chat and blocks any further actions
    Last edited by roxxkatt; 11-14-2017 at 02:17 PM.
    The above text is a personal opinion of an individual and is not representative of the statements or opinions of Trench Wars or Trench Wars staff.

SSCJ Distension Owner
    SSCU Trench Wars Developer

Last edited by Shaddowknight; Today at 05:49 AM. Reason: Much racism. So hate. Such ban. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by roxxkatt View Post
    the problem with using a letter is if you try to use it when you cant it puts a letter in chat and blocks any further actions
    true.

protip #2: change your bomb button from tab to caps lock so when you're whining you will almost certainly write in caps
    Quote Originally Posted by jerome
    can we stop and wonder in amazement at the fact that we play a VIDEO GAME that has "generations"???

Key Configs

Rationale: At least for Trench Wars, I can just reposition my hands for the specific ship I am using. Top-letter row can change as those items I rarely use, along with cloak, but this was what I eventually ended up on after playing on a laptop.
    duel pasta <ER>> i can lick my asshole

Mattey> put me in corch

zidane> go kf urself pork