No announcement yet.

The future of TW and what we can do to help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we just get rid of the corrupt staffers?

Comment

I've been saying it for years, throwing people into pub with weird key configurations is a complete disaster.

Studies have shown you have somewhere between 30 seconds to 5 minutes to hook a player on a game they're trying out. The game is already at a horrible graphics deficit.

Pub is fucking garbage, and the worst part of this game. It used to be really fun like 15 years ago as a type of sandbox to learn the ropes, but it's just like 7 weirdos spamming Trump conspiracy theories and racist rants now.

You need to put yourselves in the new players shoes:

1) You're thrown into garbage pub with bad graphics

2) How the hell do you even get in to play? Escape + 1-8 is not obvious at all

3) You overcome these obstacles and haven't quit yet despite terrible graphics and difficulty getting in. Did you pick the right ship to learn the game? Or did you pick Levi and you can hardly move and you have no idea what's going on?

4) You manage to pick a decent ship. What is the point of the game? Why are the controls so weird? Using the up/down keys to thrust and left/right to rotate feels awful and unintuitive, and theres like 7 people in pub, and you're getting spawned, and it's incredibly weird, dated, and confusing.

5) You have no idea or conception of things that might actually interest you, like ?go base, ?go javduel, or ?go wbduel, and by extension, leagues that play these structured, fun, competitions such as TWDT.

6) You quit and install something else.

I don't see why anyone would stay after 5 minutes.

Elim used to be amazing, but it has been dead for 5 years, why would you send people there?

The bot should be loading everyone logging into TW into the largest populated arena (excluding pub). If there are 30 people in ?go base or 20 people in ?go javduel or 60 people in ?go TWDTD it should be sending people there. It immediately points your eye to whatever veterans have deemed most interesting at the moment. You're selling a product. Show them the best parts... veterans always hang out where the action is.

Maybe it's a really good TWJD match. Maybe its TSL Finals. Maybe its a big event. Just send them somewhere interesting where shit is happening.

If things are dead, why don't we have bots playing the game? We have bots for fucking everything else. Pub should have bots as cannon fodder to make sure there is at least 12v12 going on in pub at all times. I've seen bots loaded into private servers before with auto-aim, why aren't we populating pub so there's stuff to shoot and kill and fight with?

There's literally zero point in re-launching on steam when none of these issues are being addressed.
      top 100 basers list

Comment

How about audio guide to assist new players? I can see why it is so hard to begin the game but in most of the cases you can expect the new player to have some sort of audio system and by default the sound is on in game when you enter first time. For some reason I believe that majority of new players have some level of understading of English as well so it shouldn't be a problem to listen for tips via audio. A bot could be triggered to start "talking" to the new player as they enter, starting with the basics and welcoming them to the game, giving them instructions that they can also seek for staff assistance if required (or if the audio guide does not cover what they wish to ask/know).

-Hello welcome to Trench Wars/Continuum. I am your audio guide to get you started with the game.
        -First lets get you into game, press esc+1 to enter.
        -You can move around with keys...
        -Now lets try shooting, press ctrl
        -Check the top right corner, there is your ship's energy level. Pay attention to this.
        -Now lets go encounter an enemy, check your radar at bottom right for blue dots - they are your enemies.

Once the player encounters an enemy and either kills or dies the audio guide continues.
        -Congratulations on your first kill/encountering enemy. Now lets take a look at other ships.

This could carry on for a while, long enough to get them introduced to the game/ships. The basics are most important, for example teaching them some ships have some specials such as portals etc. Once you get them to know the basic functionality. Don't mean to drag it too long, we could have it in sections so that once the player succeeds to kill somebody in warbird it congratulates you and asks do you wish to continue the guide or not, with instructions and also letting the player know how to seek for more assistance if required (?help).

Comment

Speaking from a fair amount of experience, I concur that there is a cancer in TW. But ‘changing Pub’ is not the answer, Pub is just a symptom of the underlying disease.

The cancer is the hatred. Hatred has permeated every single aspect of this community; arenas, leagues, squads, and this forum. A large number of players express their frustrations and anger not by trying to improve but rather by resisting with hate speak. Forum examples abound, including this thread. Rather than debating or arguing issues, topics, and improvements people take the intellectual lazy way out and turn to personal attacks on each other. And Pub is probably the most obvious example of hate speak damaging the zone. I can’t stand playing Pub for longer than a few minutes with the level of toxicity that is there now.

I have been on countless squads going all the way back to the Crips in 1999 and the same thing occurs in squad chats. After a loss the chat often gets filled with hate speak and personal insults. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being critical and in fact a good captain will indeed point out the mistakes made. Being critical is the first step in making improvements. Good captains like Brookus or Zid are often critical but they don’t sink to personal attacks and calling people names.

The leagues and the zone staff have also contracted the same cancer. People invest a lot of time and effort into them and this tends to make them heavily emotional invested. When emotionally invested people are quicker to start with the hate speak towards each other. This make things very hard because many of these people have contributed heavily to the community so the tendency is to just tolerate it. A good example is Claus; his time, efforts and contributions cannot be underestimated. But that said, his cancerous hate speak and personal attacks damages the zone and community.

Trash talk, in and of itself, is not bad but it can be a slippery slope. It is a slippery slope because of the one-upmanship that occurs in an anonymous environment. Player A pokes fun and trash talks Player B. Player B get emo and takes the trash talk to the next level. This quickly deteriorates to hate talk.

This same cancer is not just found in TW, it is also happening in the rest of our society. People no longer even allow discourse and debate, they immediately move to hate speak. They are starting with a predetermination of the other person’s intentions and motivations. ‘Oh he is a deployable’ or ‘she is a snowflake.

The cure for this cancer lays within each of us; there are no rules or policies changes that can cure this disease. Curb yourself when you start getting emo, just shut the fuck up. Staff and squad captains have to resist recruiting people who cannot control their hate speak, no matter how good they are or how much they contribute.

Finally, kudos to those people in this zone who stayed above the personal attacks and hate speak. If we could clone players like Trasher, a player who typically allowed his superior play speak for him instead of hurling personal attacks at others, TW would be in much better health. Qan is another great example of someone who has poured huge amounts of time into the community without feeling the need to sink to any hate talk.
          Eph

Comment

We're talking about the survival of the game, toxicity has nothing to do with this game dying. League of Legends is significantly more toxic than Subspace, and it is the most popular game online game in the world.

Your message of tolerance belongs in a different thread.

Originally posted by Ephemeral
            Good captains like Brookus or Zid are often critical but they don’t sink to personal attacks and calling people names.
            LOL, yeah, Zid is a paragon of virtue.

I don't think you know or understand what actual hate speech is.

1) Toxicity has nothing to do with this game dying, and the majority of competitive e-sports game are incredibly mean

2) Stop conflating hate speech with toxic behavior -- those are two very different things

3) It's called the ?ignore function. If you're that unsettled by someone's tone and message, I suggest using it.

My thoughts are with you in your fight with cancer, and I wish you nothing but a positive outcome and speedy recovery, but you don't know what you're talking about.
            top 100 basers list

Comment

Originally posted by Claushouse View Post
              ...but you don't know what you're talking about.
              Thank you for making my point.

Having played since 1998, having been captain of many squads, having played 25,000+ hours mostly in Pub, having contributed on many other levels in the league management including writing rules and HON; I feel that i actually do 'have a clue'. And having grown up in the late 1960s with assassinations and race riots gave me a pretty good understanding of hate speech.

You feedback is often toxic in my opinion and I have seen you a number of times admit that your replies are over the top. I completely understand why, your invested in the community and it is hard to not get pissed. But this is why the adage of 'turning your hobby into a job will ruin it' is true. I simply do not understand why you put so much effort into helping the zone but then turn around and level personal attacks at people who disagree with you. It should not be hard to disagree with someone without insulting them.
              Eph

Comment

At this point I would have newbies sent into a 24/7 "hosted" event in an arena like this:

An image upon entering should once be visible on the screen explaining ctrl, arrow keys and tab.

they dont know about warping so dont even bother with anti-warp, attaching etc.

Limit freq-sizes in the wb areas (1 could be smaller) and make it like a free for all multi-freq deathmatch. no death limit. just figure out how much players can fit in before it turns into a clusterfuck. (more important with javelin areas)

the jav areas can be teams of anything from 1 to 8. you can use another jav map that is better suited for more players than 8v8

the last 2 that are unfamiliar are maybe from spiderdm or twfd doesn't matter just have 2 spider teams vs each other. those red circles are flags. get as much points as possible here.

Some bot and staff presence needs to be here. the bot should message everyone when they enter with an option to choose ship 1, ship 2 or ship 3. maybe add a short explanation there. like "1. Warbird. Strongest ship equipped with fast 1-hit kill bullets." etc.

So the player needs to reply with 1, 2 or 3. the bot should be able to read a command even in public chat. !1 in pub chat should put you into the wb area and the bot then messages you with the purpose of this map. best k/d ratio team is the best. (for spid the top player will be the one with the most points)

Save those stats somewhere and put them on a webpage.

This map is for newbies so don't even think about stacking and dominating instead try and stay in spec and give general tips. Maybe go in there and orbit the first azngirl2242 and help them kill others. whatever.

Eph has a point, we should strive to have 1 arena where people can delude themselves they have found a safe place on the internet and make them interested enough in the game before they learn they may just have found the worst.

Also, one of the main problems with this game are happening before people login. IMO. And we can't do much about that. I'm thinking names should be reset and such.
                Last edited by Jones; 06-17-2017, 12:03 PM.
                TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

You're comparing Steadman going around trolling people, spamming, being mean and disrespectful with 1960s race riots?

What the hell are you talking about?

Zid can be incredibly toxic, but he's not being racist, misogynistic, or discriminating against people because of gender, race, or disability. He's not holding KKK rallies in pub.

You clearly seem unable to distinguish between being toxic online and actual hate speech.

What do you mean by personal attacks? I've never targeted anyone's personal life. I've called people idiots or grossly incompetent. That's not hate speech, that's called being mean. And just because it's mean doesn't mean its not true, or shouldn't be said.

You can label those things as "toxic" I guess, but they're not hate speech.

If you can't understand the granularity between the two, then no, you don't know what you're talking about.

More importantly, you're completely off-subject in the thread. It's about saving the zone, which, as I've stated, is unrelated to toxicity.
                  top 100 basers list

Comment

>>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< >>STEAM RELAUNCH<< V
                    Leland

Comment

Originally posted by Claushouse View Post
                      More importantly, you're completely off-subject in the thread. It's about saving the zone, which, as I've stated, is unrelated to toxicity.
                      Emperor Claushouse says it's not related to the topic, so stop talking about it.

Comment

Yeah, why bother with a counter-argument or something productive when you can be an asinine dipshit making sarcastic responses.
                        top 100 basers list

Comment

I see no value in arguing over nomenclature; call it ‘mean’or whatever term you want. What I do know is that I do not brag or shit talkyet I get PMs saying things like ‘I wish that cancer would hurry up and kill you’ and ’have you not died yet?’ And then of course there are a number of players who feel the need to tell me just how much better they are than me;which isn’t saying much considering that I am trying to play with chemo brain, dialysis lag (like the worse hangover ever) and while puking constantly in a bucket between my legs. I do not expect TW to be any better than any other online games, I am just explaining why some people feel they have better things to do with their time (especially when you have little of it) then logging into this community. It is only a fucking game. If suggesting that Pub would improve if more people treated youthe way you treat them then I guess am off topic.
                          Eph

Comment

Eph, you are spot on with everything u just said. Toxicity is killing this game slowly but surely. Some people's egos are just so big now that when u say something to their face that they don't like, they become very emotional and just start attacking you on a personal level. And yes, Claus is the perfect example of that. He's always been and will always be in the top 10 (or maybe even 5) most toxic personalities in TW. Like, even his TWDT HoNs can be offending to some players sometimes, but hey, as you said, it's just a game. Most of us just ignore him now cuz it really isn't worth getting angry, mean or even toxic over idiots like him. It's just the way this world works. There's nice people like u and me who just want to help out, make a few statements of how to improve the zone/do work/help others etc. and then just get shot down with insults and remarks of how bad we are or how we should die of cancer and such. It just shows that most of TW community is immature and can only deal with nice people by insulting them or calling them names.

Also, I do agree that Claus has done a fair share of stuff for TW, that much I will give him. I never hated him for doing stuff for TWDT, but other than that: what the hell did you do to help the zone? Whenever I see you enter an arena, you just become arrogant instantly, saying shit like "yo, I don't talk to 3* players, shut the fuk up newb" or something along those lines. Even in pub. That, my friend, is when new people who join the game and see people like you talk in a tone like that just leave and uninstall because, as you said, there are also other games online with toxic players. Sure, LoL is big and pro, but how can you compare a game that came out a few years ago with Subspace that's been around for 2 decades now? Come on man, you can't be this dumb.

As for all games being toxic, let me give you an example. I have been playing WoW retail full time now for 2 years, been in 2 guilds, both very friendly, the last one I still raid with and talk on discord almost every day, I do dungeons, LFR, world quests with different people every day and just sit in the main city and talk on the general chat. And guess what? In those 2 years I've encountered maybe 5-10 people with the same toxic behaviour as you, Claus. But that says a lot: WoW on my server has like 100k players and to just encounter 10 toxic people is a miracle, whereas seeing TW community has like 100-150 players left and I see idiots and toxic scumbags every minute. Think about that for a minute.

The solution, as Eph proposed, is to get rid of scum like that. I also wanted to help the zone, had great ideas, talked to qan who is really the bright light of TW now, but then people like Claus and Fork just bad mouth and I lost interest. So yes, you can continue to help the zone, that's great, but please, PLEASE, stop being an idiot to normal people who just want to play the game and have fun without you telling them how shit they are and how they should just jump of a bridge and die. That part has to go. Because if not, the next TWDT you will play with Paladen in a 3v3 league which will last 1 Sunday with regular season at 3pm/playoffs at 4pm/finals at 5pm.

I could go on and on on how bad you Claus, but I won't. I'm tired of your beamisms. Keep doing what you do best, help the zone, but shut the fuck up about you and you alone. And let others enjoy the game. And also, leave Eph to enjoy the game he loves without telling him what an ass he is. Have some dignity. Eph, kudos to you for being the hero that this zone needs, keep fighting brother. We are behind you all the way! Hope to see you in pub soon!
                            "Action is the real measure of intelligence. "
                            Napoleon Hill

wiibimbo>I'm gonna take u out next week for a beer and pizza at Leonardo's...no homo tho! I prefer big boobs
                            Dral>I can get implants

Comment

Signed up to give a big fat

+1 Eph and wiibimbo are spot on. I couldn't have formulated it better.

Comment

wiibimbo has always had a shit personality in-game, it's pretty hilarious seeing you on your high horse. you spend most of your time in forums attacking me and following me around. you're honestly a cancerous pos who is always negative and jumps at any chance to tear people down.

your lack of self-awareness is hilarious.
                                top 100 basers list

Comment

Working...
                                X