TWDT Star Cap System Analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWDT Star Cap System Analysis

I looked at past Finalists in TWDT to see what a contender would look like under an overall star cap limit.

Based on those averages, if we were to go in that direction, I think cap limits of 425, 425, and 680 would be ideal. Power is the perfect archtype for a 3-league contender that is deep and talented across the board, and as it happens, they fit perfectly within those prescribed limits.

This would give captains and players more flexibility to create lines that fit their personnel. Of course, with freedom comes abuse, and it is certainly possible you could see lines without players under 80 or over 90. I don't necessarily see an issue with that (it certainly wouldn't be most teams), but others might.
    top 100 basers list

I think the plan is still low star slots, using Centrigrade ratings (0-65 slot, 0-74 slot, 0-83 slot), but an overall star cap is food for thought.

Zid says overall star cap is trash and there's a reason older seasons were garbage, and a big part was overall caps. I'm inclined to agree, but interested in what others think.
    top 100 basers list

Comment

Not quite sure what you mean by this "centigrade" "star cap" stuff.. You mean dropping star ratings altogether and using values to 100 for each player and having a cap on limit of points each team can have? If we drop allowing lower star play the interest will decline imo for the more casual users. The whole twdt star system is flawed but also serves a purpose. There were some ridiculous ratings I thought this year which benefitted teams lines who got them. I feel some changes need to be made ..

I had an idea of doing draft brackets based off rating formed in small groups of 6 players (for the number of teams used which I suppose will be 6 again) Have a TWDT council of 5 to 7 people vote for these ratings and the groupings and base them in descending order of rating. The top bracket of 6 being the best overall rated players and descend it down from there. Picks start with random num generator and are done so each captain gets ONE pick per grouping. Alternate the first pick from there on for each captain so it's fair. This way each team gets a more even distribution of talent. The giant free for all in draft pool is one reason the seasons have so many blowouts. If we narrow it down I feel the competition would be much more evenly distributed.
      TWDT-J CHAMPION POWER 2018
      TWDT-B CHAMPION POWER 2018
      TWDT TRIPLE CROWN MEMBER POWER 2018
      TSL TRIPLE CROWN FINALIST 2018
      TSLD CHAMPION 2018
      TSLB CHAMPION 2018

Comment

Lol this would make it so much more complicated, there is like 50 players left. Everyone knows who can play at what level in each ship its such a tight Niche community almost don't even need ratings

Comment

Heh I quite like the idea of a draft without ratings.

Comment

I see Vys did actually a great job ranking me. Atleast if 86 = 8* and so on.

But I think this is gonna be too complicated for the captains (and assistants) to make a line. If I saw with ALF half the team had no clue what the rankings of others were. It's also not easy to check for the host to allow the line up I think.. I think the 'old' system is fine, but just needs some work on the ratings. Pretty sure we all agree that ratings should be done by multiple people next season and maybe do something about the 8*'s, cuz they end up in no mans land.
            Major Crisis

Comment

i still like the overall cap idea, it would just need to be tailored to each league after the draft took place. aim to the lower side and make it so if you play more than a couple top dogs you need to put in some lower rated people. with the 425 cap for example, it allows for a lineup of: 100 95 85 75 70. i think an average rating of 85 is too high, maybe we should aim for an average of 75-80 instead.

or, for a really whackadoo idea, make the entire thing a points based league and give teams bonus points for being under the cap. really give an incentive to caps for going playing low rated folks. but still make it worthwhile to win or be competitive.

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

booo

just more effort on the ratings, same system

Comment

EG is testing out a draft league without ratings right now. It's the first time it's happened so time will tell how it turns out but might work for TW too.
                  In game alias: mvp

twdt-b 2017 finalist
                  twlb 2020 and 2023 champ cheerleader
                  twdt-b 2020 and 2021 champ

Comment

I think 98% of the zone really likes the current system of 6-Star and 7-Star, and that it has produced the best seasons of TWDT.

Forums are statistically inaccurate, because people with complaints naturally gravitate towards posting, while people who are content don't.

There are like 250-300 signups every season, and 10 people who are unhappy posting seems very potent on the forums where they represent 10 of 17 posters in a thread, despite representing 3-4% of players.

Also, most complaints stem from the ratings, not the system itself.
                    top 100 basers list

Comment

I def feel we should do a TWDT council with a trusted pool of players to vote on/go through and come to consensus on player ratings before next season. Having a group vote to decide seems way more fair. In defense of those involved this season we just played.., doing it alone is not easy and expecting one person to know the skill level of every player who signs up is an impossible task.

Do an impartial group making individual decisions and then voting on ratings please.
                      TWDT-J CHAMPION POWER 2018
                      TWDT-B CHAMPION POWER 2018
                      TWDT TRIPLE CROWN MEMBER POWER 2018
                      TSL TRIPLE CROWN FINALIST 2018
                      TSLD CHAMPION 2018
                      TSLB CHAMPION 2018

Comment

It strikes out to me this looks a little complicated maybe because its new, the current method in its genuis is its simple, and can be read and worked out from a glance. The reason the 1-10 system struggled is due to poor decisions on ratings last season. I am for revising the current 1-10 system to include a 8 star slot, however that being said if it doesnt I still feel that the 1-10 system is still the best system. Also being said lets vote on these things and I will work with whatever system the majority agree on. I am not adverse to change if it can be proved a better system.
                        British> my 18th tomoz $$
                        Sol ^> 18 and scouse, so that two kids you have by now, brit? :)

i.d.> I just farted and shit myself alittle bit

Comment

I think we have tried different ratings systems in the past which have all 'failed'. We always went back to the current one.
                          Major Crisis

Comment

Originally posted by Claushouse View Post
                            I think 98% of the zone really likes the current system of 6-Star and 7-Star, and that it has produced the best seasons of TWDT.

Forums are statistically inaccurate, because people with complaints naturally gravitate towards posting, while people who are content don't.

There are like 250-300 signups every season, and 10 people who are unhappy posting seems very potent on the forums where they represent 10 of 17 posters in a thread, despite representing 3-4% of players.

Also, most complaints stem from the ratings, not the system itself.
                            I agree. Only thing I think that should need a look is the 8* positition. Maybe I think like that cuz of last season I have been 8* for the first time in my life and only then u see the consequences of it. I think it's the worst possible rating you could have in wb/jav.
                            Major Crisis

Comment

Originally posted by Major Crisis View Post
                              I agree. Only thing I think that should need a look is the 8* positition. Maybe I think like that cuz of last season I have been 8* for the first time in my life and only then u see the consequences of it. I think it's the worst possible rating you could have in wb/jav.
                              It really is. 8s not only have to battle for a spot agaisnt the other 8s(which are alot in number), but compete with 9s and 10s who are better players in theory. The only difference id consider would be creating a 8* spot, besides that i think the system is good.

The main issue with this season was the ratings, which everyone saw how bad they were at the beginning of the season. Just get 3/4 players(veterans who are relatively active) to do ratings for each league, average it and it will be good.
                              I really dont think its that hard, it takes like 20 mins to go through 1 league. I dont think most of us would mind doing it
                              Author of the clutchest and most tilting TEK of the century.

1:cripple> i luv lbj cock
                              1:cripple> if he paid me 50k for every time i gave him a bj i'd do it

Comment

Working...
                              X