Question regarding finals/all-stars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding finals/all-stars

I know that the top players will be in the finals/all-stars.

I was wondering if there is a minimum of games required to be in contention?

In my opinion, it would be best to have a minimum number of games required to be considered. There are some factors that can be inflated if people show only to a limited amount of games and make the finals due to just a handful of lucky games. The overall skill level will suffer if this is the case.

Also I think it is good to set a minimum to incentivize players to show up during the week and Sundays.

If this has been answered before in a thread I apologize, I could not find this info.

Pretty sure u have to show half the games.
    Major Crisis

Comment

There is no minimum.

That said, is unlikely you'll make the Finals as a TSL All-Star without playing at least 20 games (if going for the Overall value category) or 10 Sunday games (if going for the Sunday value category).

Your Value in the Standings simply adds up your 20 best games together.

If you play 20 games in TSLD, and get 15$ on average over those 20 games, you'll have a value of $300.

If you play 14 games in TSLD, and get 20$ on average over 14 games, you'll have a value of $285.

The player with $300 value will advance.

If you play all 34 games in TSLD, it will add up your best 20 games. It is possible for a very talented warbird to accumulate more value over 20 games than you can in 30, but the more you play, the more chances you give yourself to increase your value.

At the same time, it isn't setting an unrealistic goal for many of showing for EVERY game. If you can't make MOST weekdays, but can show Sundays, you can play all 14 Sunday games and try to make 6 games on Weekdays to give yourself a shot at the Overall category.

If not, 50% of Finals slots are still reserved for Sunday-only value, which takes into account your best 10 games (out of 14).

I think this is a good balance of still having to play a lot of games, without simply just rewarding some mediocre Iron Man who shows to every game and just wins on sheer volume.
      Last edited by ogron; 06-17-2017, 07:18 AM.
      Cape> draft easier to win when you cap

*6 months later*

Cape triple frowns and misses playoffs in every league

Comment

will you post the equations for determining value and ratings?

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

Probably not. I just want people going out and playing their best and trying to win.

It's a mix of personal performance and team performance, so playing normally and doing well is all that's required.

You'll find that reccing and ignoring your team's success will likely produce less value than simply playing to win. I may tweak the formulas a bit based on the first week or two.

It should be fairly obvious and "make sense" when you see it.

If you want an example of how scores will translate to value, the pics posted in the TSL Announcement thread are real inputs into my Excel sheet, and those would reflect actual Value for those scores.

*6 months later*

Comment

Originally posted by Claushouse View Post
            Probably not. I just want people going out and playing their best and trying to win.

It's a mix of personal performance and team performance, so playing normally and doing well is all that's required.

You'll find that reccing and ignoring your team's success will likely produce less value than simply playing to win. I may tweak the formulas a bit based on the first week or two.

It should be fairly obvious and "make sense" when you see it.

If you want an example of how scores will translate to value, the pics posted in the TSL Announcement thread are real inputs into my Excel sheet, and those would reflect actual Value for those scores.

IMO you should keep the formulas to yourself. Making em public could possibly open the chance of abusing certain aspects that the formulas contain
            Author of the clutchest and most tilting TEK of the century.

1:cripple> i luv lbj cock
            1:cripple> if he paid me 50k for every time i gave him a bj i'd do it

Comment

i cant show this week.. can i still make finals ?

Comment

This will take staff to be very aware of players talents to make balanced teams if the rating is highly based on wherever your team wins or loses, if you have a bad team nomatter what you do you can end up with no more than a 10-10, please can staff make sure they refer to twdt star ratings when balancing teams as I trust most staff but very few are experienced in knowing all 3 leagues.

Also which is a little harder hosts should be aware about stacking squadies or known allies togethor, for example putting best/racka/mythril togethor or me/iron survivor/okyo togethor for example as a advantage can also be gained from team synergy.
                Last edited by Attacks; 06-17-2017, 03:19 AM.
                British> my 18th tomoz $$
                Sol ^> 18 and scouse, so that two kids you have by now, brit? :)

i.d.> I just farted and shit myself alittle bit

Comment

Mods aren't making any decisions on who plays with whom.

The bot decides.

The bot does NOT factor in TSL performances -- it has set values for each player in each ship, then it sprinkles in a bit of randomization, then it sorts.

It's 2017, we know who is good and who isn't. It's very unlikely the matchmaking values will change, but if someone's rating is off, we will fix it.

Again, the matchmaking and TSL performance are uncoupled. They don't interact with each other.

We'll fix the rating of the one guy who has a breakout season in the bot, but otherwise it knows who is good and who isn't, and will create fair teams.

Like Kess mentioned, we're not publishing the inner workings for obvious reasons.

The only exception I would consider is in terr, since I'm writing the formulas and I terr, if there is close competition in that ship, and it's one of the more difficult positions to grade, in the interest of transparency. I could see a situation where there's a race between myself, Pressure, Mikkiz for the lone 2 spots in the Finals for terr, where Thix would raise a red flag of suspicion over the math.

Terr:

=((KPG/4)+(IF(KDA>15,15,KDA))*1)+(Teks*2)+(TeamScore)

The current formula is Kills Per Game (more accurately, your kills had the game gone the full 30 minutes) divided by 4, plus your KDA (capped at 15), plus Teks multiplied by two, plus TeamScore (how well your team did, this is unified across all ships and leagues, and not being published).

I think you'll find the formulas fairly robust and difficult to game or abuse.

Again, I reserve the right to modify the formulas over the first two weeks to make sure they pass the eye test, afterwards I will lock the formulas in and have them held privately by Beasty and Qan, and will not publish them. Should any issues arise, two independent sources will have the finalized formulas to double-check any issues that arise.

That is absolute most I can give out at the moment.
                  Last edited by ogron; 06-17-2017, 08:00 AM.

*6 months later*

Comment

Originally posted by Claushouse View Post
                    Mods aren't making any decisions on who plays with whom.

The bot decides.
                    Have you seen Terminator 2 or Matrix? I KNOW how these things end!
                    British> my 18th tomoz $$
                    Sol ^> 18 and scouse, so that two kids you have by now, brit? :)

i.d.> I just farted and shit myself alittle bit

Comment

how have you determined ratings for everyone? Off of the TWDT ratings? It'd be good to know everyone's ratings to ensure they are accurate enough.
                      TWL-J Season 11 Champion
                      TWL-J Season 21 Champion
                      TWL-B Season 21 Champion
                      TWL-B Season 22 Finalist
                      TWDT-D 2017 Champion
                      TWDT-J 2017 Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Ricko View Post
                        how have you determined ratings for everyone? Off of the TWDT ratings? It'd be good to know everyone's ratings to ensure they are accurate enough.
                        I would assume ogron used an altered version of his dt ratings.
                        In game alias: mvp

twdt-b 2017 finalist
                        twlb 2020 and 2023 champ cheerleader
                        twdt-b 2020 and 2021 champ

Comment

Release the ratings.. lol i feel ogron has some fishy ratings for himself and others

Comment

seriously im friggin pissed release the ratings there were some boogus games today

Comment

Originally posted by zidane View Post
                              Release the ratings.. lol i feel ogron has some fishy ratings for himself and others
                              Lol I don't think this is the case

#ratingsgate

Comment

Working...
                              X