Thread: Windows 8.1 Compatibility (and other OSs)

Windows 8.1 Compatibility (and other OSs)

Looking for confirmation of Steam installs on various OSs. One person had serious problems installing on Win 8.1. Anyone running 8.1 willing to give installation on Steam a shot? It shouldn't affect your normal install.
    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
    -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

I have SS on my other PC that is 8.1 and works fine with Steam.. Can you give us more detail as to what this player experienced? SS runs perfect for me on 8.1 and 10 on Steam. Sorry to hear this happened though. I wouldn't mind trying to help troubleshoot but am clueless as to what they suffered. Take care.

-IxaDor

Here's the message on 10. It's similar on 8.1. Apparently 8 doesn't have the issue, and it usually isn't an issue with 10.

Probably something with permissions. There are other issues with Data Execution Prevention (DEP) on 7 and up, when it detects Continuum's memory protections as a problem. But, the same ones are used on Skype, a Microsoft program, so you think it wouldn't care. (Then again, Skype might be whitelisted.)
    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
    -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Quote Originally Posted by qan View Post
    Here's the message on 10. It's similar on 8.1. Apparently 8 doesn't have the issue, and it usually isn't an issue with 10.

Probably something with permissions. There are other issues with Data Execution Prevention (DEP) on 7 and up, when it detects Continuum's memory protections as a problem. But, the same ones are used on Skype, a Microsoft program, so you think it wouldn't care. (Then again, Skype might be whitelisted.)
    Hey Qan, that is one of windows great "ambiguous" messages that offers near nothing as to what went wrong. Anyways, I have some simple troubleshooting suggestions I can offer that you may or may not offered already.

1. Have them completely uninstall the game from Steam. Restart the PC. Then by default go to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common. Make sure there is no continuum folder present. If there is, delete it, then delete it from recycle bin.

2.Log into Steam. Go to Settings>Downloads - CLEAR DOWNLOAD CACHE. Steam will log you out, log back in. Exit Steam.

3.Restart the PC. Log back into Steam. Re-download Subspace Continuum. Once it finishes, inside Steam go to your library, find SubSpaceContinuum. Right click over it and scroll down to properties. Once inside properties, click on the Local Files tab - VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES. If anything is missing, it will be acquired for them.

4.Have them try playing Subspace. If they still get an error, go to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Continuum\Continuum.e xe(Application) - Right click - Properties - Compatibility - Windows (Win 8, 7, XP). Close out and try to run Subspace Continuum using compatibility mode. Repeat for 2-3 OS until it hopefully works. Note there is also compatibility mode troubleshooter, while most often than not, if doesn't identify the culprit, sometimes it does (usually driver related).

5. If they still are unable to play, it could be an issue with their drivers. Have them check that all their drivers are up to date via Device Manager. Also, ensure they don't have programs running that can conflict Steam/Subspace Continuum. Cleaning the PC sometimes works too, which can be done in Disk Cleanup.Worth mentioning here too that AV are known to block programs and that adding Steam/Subspace Continuum to their AV Exceptions list can often times fix issues that are still persistent when everything I mentioned above fails.

6.Could be an issue with there ISP. Might be worth looking into how their modem is setup as some companies firewall programs that try to connect online, similar to AV. It's pretty simple to find out if your ISP is doing this and a quick search on google can walk them through how to log in to their modem and allow certain ports. All they need to figure out is their ISP address, usually located in Network Connections - Properties. Most ISP's modem login/password is "admin".

Again, you may or may not have already suggested this. I just thought I would post it here in case there is something new for them to try. I hope they are able to figure it out. Best of luck.

-IxaDor
    Last edited by Ixador; 10-06-2017 at 12:57 PM.