SSCU Trench Wars Project Proposals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSCU Trench Wars Project Proposals

Please check this document. I'm looking for feedback on various project ideas involving both staff organization and general gameplay.

All ideas and comments welcome. Please post in this thread.
    Best> Para is the only guy i know who can put a quarter up his nostrils lol

5. Advertise Newsletter / Social on Map
    - If socials will be added to map, I would say darken them. The bright white on black contrast is over-powering.

10. SSL
    - Should be high and part of the vBulletin upgrade/trenchwars.com process. Browsers are becoming less and less happy with non-SSL and also with weak SSL sites.

11. TSL Rebrand
    - I always thought of the S in TSL as Single or Solo, since you are just added to a team and it is focused toward single player.

12. Pub Jackpot Prize (Going to post some additional thoughts about pub game play improvements here that I am thinking of)
    - I am a fan of dropping the best-of-5 series.
    - I like the idea of adding the jackpot to the top right.
    - Should be additional warp area in base for 3rd and 4th team (maybe private freqs with 5+ people would qualify as a private team). I'd like to see terr's portal reset somehow prior to a game start.
    - Some kind of auto-shuffle of teams more often (3+ wins maybe?)
    - Not much of a fan for private freq multipliers, if anything I think a multiplied should be activated for the public team. My thought here is that you would encourage people to abandoned less-skilled players.
    - Maybe 5% of each pub jackpot is saved up for the "Super Jackpot" match-up that can take place? Have a scheduled time when that game is "activated" as an in-game event.
    - Another idea I had for public is to bring in games like hunt or rabbit into the pub arenas. Once an hour hunt activates with a prize pool based on the players. You type !hunt or !rabbit to activate yourself as playing. Maybe it would be a rotation with kill-o-thon. I can type up more on this if needed.
    - DUELS: If players are bet on and a pay-out if given, it would be awesome if the winning player in the duel got a small % of the bet too. Lets say Player A vs Player B happens. There were bets placed and Player A wins. Player A gets 5% of the winnings as an bonus (taken out of the payout to the winning bet -- basically a cut goes to the player)
    - DUELS: Should be allowed to have duels to 10 and to 5.
    - RPS: Seems to be pretty busy lately. Can we make RPS challenges a public message or have a chat for RPS open challenges?

Might come up with more, I'm half asleep
    Last edited by inertube; 11-26-2017, 05:39 AM.
    Doughnut - Assistant Ban Operator

Comment

Reading this made me think this game might have a future after all. Great job and more importantly good luck implementing it.

Suggest bump up the pub jackpot display some priority .

Comment

I have a really good project proposal lol. Please hear me out.

So it started one day in pub when me and my buddy, Poid, were LTing. He came up with this genius idea but couldnt think up a name for it. We brainstormed for months just thinking of a good name for it and finally decided on one.

Ladies and Gentleman...I present to you years of hard work from Poid and it will be launched this upcoming Tuesday!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://forums.trenchwars.org/showthr...hlight=quantam
        1:Rasaq> i scrub really hard with toilet paper so little pieces of it get stuck to my anus hair and then later on when im watching tv i like to pull them out slowly because it feels pretty good

1:Mutalisk> heard that n1111ga okyo got some DSLs

Paradise> No names but there's actually a black man in the arena right now.

Jones> MAAAAN1111GA UCHIHA

Paradise> NO NAMES. NOT A SINGLE NAME.....but 3/6 of the players on Force are of a certain descent. I will not go any further.

Comment

For anyone who remembers Distension, there was a powerball game played inbetween basing rounds, where goals scored counted for a lot more points than they did during the basing game. Maybe add a feature like this for inbetween pub basing rounds. It could simply be about scoring on the goal in base, where a goal is worth something like 1k pubbux per player on team. Another option would be making the 2 safe zones at the far left/rightends of the map into a goal for each team, i.e. freq1 could only score on the left side. The ball seems somewhat useless at the moment so maybe this would make it more actively used and interesting.

Comment

Its not my idea but I rly think it's worth a test for a weekend or 2. Replace default arena with something like elim or wbduel that is super straightforward for complete newbies from steam. During this test still keep current pub around (with notifications that its still there) as subarena for those that prefer that game type.

Comment

Originally posted by Afri View Post
              For anyone who remembers Distension, there was a powerball game played inbetween basing rounds, where goals scored counted for a lot more points than they did during the basing game. Maybe add a feature like this for inbetween pub basing rounds. It could simply be about scoring on the goal in base, where a goal is worth something like 1k pubbux per player on team. Another option would be making the 2 safe zones at the far left/rightends of the map into a goal for each team, i.e. freq1 could only score on the left side. The ball seems somewhat useless at the moment so maybe this would make it more actively used and interesting.
              I like the idea of using the ball for something during pub rounds. Maybe you can multiply your prize by being the first to score a goal inbetween rounds. As soon as the round ends the ball resets and warps to a random point, and everyone can rush to be the first to score and win the 2x. It sounds like it could be quite frustrating though and the goal would get crowded, probably meaning that the person to receive the bonus simply got lucky.

There could be a separate part of the map that all players (excluding duelers and levs) get warped to for a mini game involving the ball.

Or it happens around the left/right safe zones, as you suggested.

Could be fun. Let's think more.
              Best> Para is the only guy i know who can put a quarter up his nostrils lol

Comment

A while back (last Xmas?) we had a two goal system going, active between rounds only. It may even have warped people to spawn after round end. (Left side/right side for 0/1 would be better, maybe, with everyone else warped to spawn or south.) Was somewhat successful, though it was hard to get people to understand what was going on, and sometimes disrupted the base game.

Many people did enjoy it, especially those from outside TW who missed powerball games.

The ball currently exists as a kind of relic from that time. It doesn't have much of a point until it gets charged up. Does still give some $, though, and occasionally offers a jackpot after a round's end.

Maybe we could try the two goal thing again for the Xmas map. Code should still be working OK.
                Last edited by qan; 11-26-2017, 09:05 PM.
                "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
                -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

Add an assist ranking for Javs and base. I think those players who focus on team play i.e. in Javs bullet so others can get kills are vastly underrated and certainly could do with recognition. Should be simple enough, if you hit an opponent and it dies within 5 seconds of that hit by someone else, count it as an assist (worth half a kill for mvp purposes).

Comment

Originally posted by Demonic View Post
                    Add an assist ranking for Javs and base. I think those players who focus on team play i.e. in Javs bullet so others can get kills are vastly underrated and certainly could do with recognition. Should be simple enough, if you hit an opponent and it dies within 5 seconds of that hit by someone else, count it as an assist (worth half a kill for mvp purposes).
                    Good idea

Comment

Make the game actually playable.
                      - Set lag limit at about 150ms.
                      - Set ploss limit at about 0.2.

Comment

Javelin Bomb Training

I propose a new map that focuses on improving a player’s aim with BOUNCED Javelin Bombs.

The map would be based on the TWLJ map, since those are the most practical angles to learn.
                        It would also be a spiritual successor to Surfbalance, in the way that it would help improve your bounced bomb aim in the same vein as Surfbalance does with your overall ship-movement.

This map would take a bit of imagination, but perhaps for example the map could maybe warp you into a fixed position, where you would have to practice figuring out how to hit the wall to destroy a target (perhaps a bot?). Afterwards, when you "kill" the target, you move onto the next area.
                        I picture it being similar to Surfbalance in the way that as you complete each previous task, you would move-onto the next, more difficult stage. Maybe after you advance far enough, then you're no longer in a fixed position, and you have to figure out how to "move into" the correct bomb angle as well so you leave the final stages of the map with a more refined, pragmatic sense.

Ideally, the final stages of the map would require bounced shots difficult enough to make even the best players in the game incredibly frustrated.

The reason I think this map is necessary is when you consider what's available to players to improve their game right now. Let’s say you're a pubber, and you want to compete with the 15+ Javelin veterans.
                        There are quite a lot of tools at your disposal. For example if you want to improve your:

Duel Skills - Just ?go duel, or do an openduel in pub
                        Team Skills - ?go javduel
                        Bullet Skills - literally anywhere, even pub
                        Dodge Skills - ?go elim
                        Ship-movement Skills - ?go surfbalance

However, there is absolutely nothing out there for dramatically improving bounced-bomb shots in Javelin, which has arguably one of the HUGEST learning curves in the ENTIRE game, especially when you're talking about competing against people who have been doing it competitively for 20 years.

I've asked staff and vets how to improve my javelin shots quicker, hear were the typical responses:
                        1). "just practice dude, lol"
                        2). ?go #TWLJ by yourself (in the year 2018), and shoot at walls for the next three hours like a fucking idiot

I can't be the only one who sees how PAINFULLY inadequate this is, especially during a time where there is so much priority in things like tutorials.

It's a little ridiculous to me that for one aspect like ship movement, you have something as intricately put together as Surfbalance, and then for another equally basic skill like BOUNCING A FREAKING JAV BOMB, you've only got this one bare-bone, caveman equivalent.

It's like you guys did this absolutely incredible job giving players 9/10 of the tools they needed to improve their game, but there’s still one last piece of the puzzle missing.
                        Please, for a more full, complete game ... add this map to TrenchWars

Comment

Why bounced?

I can imagine the reason why people recommend you to go to #lj and just shoot corners is because once you learn how to pick a corner and shoot straight into it successfully you need to learn how to read opponents and predict where they are gonna dodge. How to position yourself and avoid bad situations. This can only be learned by playing vs. other players, preferably those who are slightly better than you.
                          TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

Originally posted by Jones View Post
                            Why bounced?
                            Because those are the more difficult shots which require more thought. The novice's brain might take half a second longer to process the shot than the vet who's been doing it for 15 years, and they're 99% more likely to miss as well.

If there was an avenue in the game so that even pubbers could learn the same bomb angles that your "zidanes" out there can do with their eyes closed, I'd imagine you'd have a more competitive game.

Originally posted by Jones View Post
                            once you learn how to pick a corner and shoot straight into it successfully you need to learn how to read opponents and predict where they are gonna dodge. How to position yourself and avoid bad situations. This can only be learned by playing vs. other players, preferably those who are slightly better than you.
                            Predicting opponents and dodging are separate skills. Yes, you need to learn to use them together, but that's no reason NOT to try a map like this. You could even incorporate those skills somehow, justhave the bots shoot bombs back at you or something.

Comment

Originally posted by ForgottenGhost View Post
                              Because those are the more difficult shots which require more thought. The novice's brain might take half a second longer to process the shot than the vet who's been doing it for 15 years, and they're 99% more likely to miss as well.
                              all the more reason to keep it simple and just shoot straight at the opponent instead of thinking about elaborate bounces that may look nice but are practically useless. Belim map is better for bouncy shots.

zidane is just good at predicting where people go and lob somewhere in that general direction. he is just, along with his team, pushing enemies into bad situations, make them bunch up and/or target the lone guy who refuses to regroup. Basically, you kill 1 enemy and then you have 5v4 forcing them into terrible positions with lots of walls. Dodging is just a product of recognizing bad places to go to. ie. sides or near the safe when people are lobbing from above.

i could be wrong though.

edit: kim is probably the best bouncy bomb guy. everyone else are doing more straight shots. some more, some less relatively speaking.

edit 2: i'm not trying to vs. zidane or make it sound easy. he is obviously good at the game. i'm just trying to keep the text simple.
                              Last edited by Jones; 12-04-2017, 08:21 PM.
                              TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

Working...
                              X