All the Reasons America is Retarded (Dona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by qan View Post
    No disrespect intended toward you, but I still choose to side with the field of evolutionary biology on this one. I do agree that excessively generalizing based on the perceived traits of people is a kind of intellectual laziness. But I do still stand by the belief that there is a biological component to racism, because that's what the research currently indicates.
    lil bit of this, lil bit of that

I don't have some exact figure here but i'm assuming like 99.9% of all animals have a genetic predisposition to fear/dislike "different" animals - the evolutionary equivalent of "playing it safe" to protect that animal from encountering a potential predator

But then with humans you throw in sentience and the shit gets complicated. People can rationalize and feed a racist belief because it confirms their unconscious initial aversion to seeing a "different" animal, but everyone sort of defines "different" differently, and everyone learns and experiences different information and environments.

So cultural traits can appear and disappear in response to new circumstances much faster than biological ones -- you might even call culture a kind of pseudo-genome -- but they still exist only because they've provided some advantage, at some point in time. As did racism.
    I studied alot of primary sources from the Reconstruction era when I took a class on Louisiana & the Civil War, and noticed alot of (white) southerners were super bitter because they're losing their lands and property, their friends are losing lands and property, the economy is in the shitter and everyone's broke. But at the same time, they're seeing black people gain land, gain property, gain political power. Obviously this perception was a vastly incorrect view of what was happening and why it was happening. But to the average, poorly informed post-war southerner, they see white people worse off in general, and black people better off in general, and conclude it's a zero-sum transfer of wealth and power from one skin color to another. Think about that type of resentment festering as a "pseudo-genome", because it was in fact advantageous as hell. Anyone who wanted anything could use racism to get these white southerners to follow and support them. Racism helped get people elected, helped people get rich.

I think about this when I look at the period between 1960-1990. During the 60's, minorities began gaining civil rights on a mass scale, and are finally able to "enter" American culture, and in the following decades you see more and more minority individuals becoming wealthy, becoming famous, etc. You see their cultural influence more and more. At the same time, however, the American population exceeds the number of American jobs available for the first time ever. Corporations, realizing there's more people than jobs, realize they can stop raising wages to entice people, "if you dont like it you can quit, there's dozens of people willing to take this job". So the inflation-adjusted average wage basically freezes around the 70's. But that's not enough, profits need to be higher, so by the 80's these corporations are realizing it's cheaper to simply build factories overseas where they can pay literal pennies to people to do jobs Americans used to do.

So now imagine you're a relatively average white dude living throughout this era. You're not an economist, you're not a historian, you might read the daily news but not much else. During this period, what seems to be happening? You see the economy beginning to stagnate, you see friends and family laid off and your own paycheck ain't getting any bigger. But for thirty years you've been watching TV and listening to the radio and you're seeing more and more minority politicians, minority businessmen, minority celebrities. And then someone like David Duke comes along, points these two facts out, and tells you that minorities are stealing wealth and power from Good, Hard Working White Americans. You don't see that minorities are also suffering economically because the previous generation's racism led to minorities being herded into ghettos, you just see more minorities on TV but you notice you're seeing more and more of them than you did 30 years ago, while outside and around you, your (mainly white) community experiences the impacts of the beginning of late-stage capitalism. Sure enough, that racism pseudo-gene kicks in, and since corporations are making record profits they can spend that money to find ways to blame the state of the economy on anyone but themselves. Previously people in power could just blame "the blacks" or whatever, but you can't do that anymore in a post-Civil Rights America (not openly, anyway), but this time around they played it a little more subtly. Corporations begin a campaign that goes like "sorry guy, we'd pay you more, but unfortunately we had to give all that money to the government, by the way the government uses tax money for welfare, by the way here's a 30-min news segment on how literally every welfare recipient is a crack-addict with a brand-new Cadillac in the yard.", and let the David Dukes of the world take that and run with it. And year after year these corporations shatter new records for profits while telling the rest of us that "sorry, there's just no money in the budget to give you a raise. Actually, we're going to let you go because it's cheaper to pay a child in singapore to work in our factories. And now, here's a 30-minute news segment about thousands of illegal immigrants and how they're all working on farms in California."

So yeah qan, "racism-as-a-pseudo-gene" makes alot of sense because in a way, you see how a small part of society has exploited racism to divert attention away from the fact that they're looting our country blind. It's incredibly advantageous in that sense. At the same time, it's advantageous for the increasingly oppressed proletariat, because they can make themselves feel better by blaming their own economic stress on someone else - black people, immigrants, welfare recipients, pick your poison.
    NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

Originally posted by Jones View Post
      i really have a problem with people comparing trump to hitler/nazi. it's like comparing obama to a white supremacist kkk westboro baptist church

but atleast we can tell people who make that comparison are retarded
      I prefer comparing him to Mussolini. Pure, incompetent, nationalist fascism.

internet de la jerome

Comment

Originally posted by Ephemeral View Post
        To Others,
        As far as USA sucking, apparently people today have virtually no understanding of history or facts. Here are some USA postage stamps from 1943-1944 honoring countries which the USA saved from the Nazis in WW2. If USA sucks so much, what would have happened to these countries if US had not joined in WW2?
        You'd think if you wanted to disprove the idea that America sucks you wouldn't have to go almost ~70 years back to find proof, and you'd think the proof might be a little better than "hey! we made some stamps"

I don't even know where to begin on America's bloodstained record. But for starters, let's look at your stamps. Hitler and prominent Nazi theorists based alot of their "race science" on the ideas of Civil-War-era American "racial scientists" who tried to justify slavery by saying black people weren't human and actually were better off as slaves. So even in the most generous interpretation of our history, the reason we had to "save" those countries is because we gave Hitler the intellectual and economic (dont even get me started on Henry Ford and how he helped the Nazis and hated Jews) ammunition to start WW2 in the first place. So don't ask "where would those countries be if America hadn't entered WW2", ask yourself "Would there have even been a powerful Nazi Reich if America hadn't laid the intellectual and economic foundation for their rise to power?"

internet de la jerome

Comment

I liked the stamps I thought they illustrated his point well, compared to yours which had no pictures and just sucked in general.

As for Ford yeah he helped the nazis in some way. That's not America though. That's like trying to blame America for when Elon finally snaps in traffic and builds the AI you need strobe lighs for, but conveniently leaves out the clause that prevents it from wrestling people to the death. That would be on South Africa duh.. lol
          Last edited by Dierienow; 12-07-2017, 02:41 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

I collect stamps, am Moderator of the largest online stamp forum, and am developer and owner of a very large (50,000+ files) philatelic website http://stampsmarter.com. I used stamps because I think that stamps reflect our history and the human condition pretty well. For example, here is a ‘War on Stamps’ music video I made

Eph
            Last edited by Ephemeral; 12-07-2017, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Hey Eph

I've got somewhat of a small collection of stamps. It was left behind by the previous owners of the house. The previous owner was an avid collector and people would send him stamps from around the world. I've been into stamps since discovering the collection - truly is an intriguing method of learning history!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome Scuggs View Post
                You'd think if you wanted to disprove the idea that America sucks you wouldn't have to go almost ~70 years back to find proof, and you'd think the proof might be a little better than "hey! we made some stamps...
                Reading this on this* day is perfect, the quote that will live in infamy. Sure blow off people that died in my generation, who gives a fuck about them...this is all about you and your safe space.
                Eph

*This day - 2,403 Americans died and 1,178 were wounded in Peral Harbor on this day. Nice of you to remember them by minimizing their sacrifice for your ass to sit here and talk bullshit on a space forum today.

Hobo - The internet is really the next generation postal system.
                Last edited by Ephemeral; 12-07-2017, 08:09 PM.

Comment

"hey! there's tons of new jobs. why are you still unemployed? here's an article on how all these new jobs are going to mexicans"

internet de la jerome

Comment

Originally posted by Ephemeral View Post
                    Reading this on this* day is perfect, the quote that will live in infamy. Sure blow off people that died in my generation, who gives a fuck about them...this is all about you and your safe space.
                    Eph

*This day - 2,403 Americans died and 1,178 were wounded in Peral Harbor on this day. Nice of you to remember them by minimizing their sacrifice for your ass to sit here and talk bullshit on a space forum today.

Hobo - The internet is really the next generation postal system.
                    its chilly out so i understand why you're wrapping yourself up so tightly in that flag, but you can fuck off old man

my grandfather served in the 12th armored and after his death we found photographs of some of the holocaust camps that his unit stumbled upon. he was a quiet man, a smart man, didn't feel the need to go around telling everyone how AMERICAN he was and how BRUTAL the war was. he understood the horrors of war, and therefore he didn't adopt some pseudopatriotism shtick and get triggered when people said something critical of america on a specific day.

Truly, a warrior-poet.

"safe spaces", lol, you literally are gnashing your teeth because you read a certain sentence on a particular day

I wish we could meet irl and have this talk without google in front of you, because i'd love to ask you even the most simple shit, like "what's the name of the airfield that was attacked at pearl harbor?" and see how much you actually know without having to search for it on the internet.

edit: oh, and the obvious question here is, when and where did YOU serve?
                    Last edited by Jerome Scuggs; 12-08-2017, 02:20 PM.

internet de la jerome

Comment

to be fair I wouldn't say these are all the reasons
                      3:kyler> who r u btw i keep wanting to ask people "who is 45th pres" but someone gonna say "trump"
                      3:45th President> do it
                      kyler> who is 45th President
                      nah> donald j trump

Downfall> Shoutout to forwards for randomly giving gunsmith results that made no sense and just made things harder

Jacklyn> holster is the thing that holds/carry the gun

Comment

Well thats interesting Jerome, it seems someone struck a nerve. Here you are bestowing on us your idea of patriotism while fighting to implement the same thing someone in your family fought for. Interesting indeed, so you do love the country even though you want to fundamentally change it.
                        Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Originally posted by kthx View Post
                          Excuse me Zeebu but what did you say about xim/xer or xhey? I will have you know that facts are a racist misogynist way for nazi's to push the patriarchy you fucking cis scum. Jessup sexually identifies as factually fluid.
                          topkek
                          8:Lrim> you guys take this game too seriously

Comment

Originally posted by kthx View Post
                            Well thats interesting Jerome, it seems someone struck a nerve. Here you are bestowing on us your idea of patriotism while fighting to implement the same thing someone in your family fought for. Interesting indeed, so you do love the country even though you want to fundamentally change it.
                            i genuinely cannot understand the point you are trying to get across here

was that last sentence a question or a statement

what's my idea of patriotism

just... what

internet de la jerome

Comment

america had nothing to do with defeating germany. hitler heard grandpa lee harlie was heading to berlin and he killed himself out of sheer terror.
                              Last edited by Jerome Scuggs; 12-08-2017, 02:45 PM.

internet de la jerome

Comment

The Nazis were defeated by British intelligence, American money and Soviet blood.

Ps. My country got help from the Nazis.

Pps. I dont know what we are arguing here
                                TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

Working...
                                X