March 4th, 2018 - A Humble and Inspiring Tale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March 4th, 2018 - A Humble and Inspiring Tale

I logged on March 4th, 2018. I paid the rent that day. In a spontaneous act that certainly proves free will is an illusion, I decided it was time – time to logon and remind myself and space who the fuck Mythril is. The strange fictional avatar and ego who outside of my monitor does not relate to or think about the game nor my online persona often if ever. But as soon as I hit Enter Zone and denied the shit out of reading the zone news, everything came back to me. All of subspace history was at my fingertips. I remembered EVERYTHING. I’m going to be honest, I was scared. I wasn’t afraid that I sucked – subspace mechanics have been permanently etched into my being. I was afraid I would log into an unfamiliar world which I couldn’t place myself in anymore. I thought maybe the tales of Mythril had gone the way of Ogron – diminished and tainted into fleeting despair where using any string of logical analysis would lead to the inevitable and permanent uninstall.

Subspace was a passion of mine from age 11. I still remember my first week playing the game. I felt out of place in a world of older dudes who played (13+ year olds, evolved beings who had achieved a level of life experience which I couldn’t relate with, i.e. Middle School.) All of that changed when I dueled a talented and charismatic rusher named delectable in a tryout to join his squad Task (Shriek’s rival). He defeated me 10-0 and then pmed me with pw and chat. This is where I met a giant faggot named Da_Bomber who openly revealed he was the same age. As only the Oracle could have known, dropping bombs would be his fate indeed. He would go on to leave myself and everyone else around him in his shadow when he would go by the name ‘With Ease’, or as he would later be known by every history book after the classic entitled ‘Golden Age’ of the great Philosopher, Epinephrine, ‘Ease’. Some time around 2015 (probably his 28th or 29th medal), many of us inferior talents would simply come to know Da_Bomber as ‘Father’. This is not important to the story I’m about to bestow of what happened on March 4th, 2018.

I’m gonna be real, I first logged on the day before the 4th. I spent my time with a familiar friend named ‘beam’ and trolled the shit out of Jessup until 2am while we shared Costco stories in Thunder chat. I had to wake up for work at 7am the next day, and of course it was worth it. 5am conversations debating the greatest warbirds were ALWAYS worth it. Those late night hours of shit talk molded my generation of players. All of us were sharpened by those nights of verbal combat. We excelled because of it. Achieved great heights because of it. Anyone who survived that era of shit talk enjoys a shared respect with one another that will bind us for fucking life.

The rest of that day was spent fantasizing about playing a TWDD. I hadn’t felt the weight and beauty of my warbird in half a year. But I needed a squad. Equinox looked dead, so I looked around at potential suitors and decided on Psyiagon. I spent 7 minutes debating whether the squad was 3 or 4 syllables and was immediately interrupted before I could reach google – a TWDD match was beginning between my new and impressionable comrades in opposite corners from the ancient Paladen.

I was nervous. It made me remember playing my first TWLD vs -Final- and my idol Sika in 2003. In that game I did what every other player who doesn’t know what they’re doing does – I ‘tried hard’. I tried so hard that I never let go of shift and shot a total of 2 bullets. As soon as I was 0-6 in a matter of 3 minutes, one of those bullets missed Domi so badly that it took out Sika in r5 range. I knew that all I needed was that 1 kill to get going. Randedl subbed me out immediately and never played me again the rest of the season. Grapevine made the TWLD Finals that year. Maybe Randedl didn’t believe in me, but I knew Sika understood what the fuck I brought to the table. Those type of big game moments built me for days like March 4th, 2018.

Paladen added Jessup first in a motion that can only be interpreted as an act of intimidation. The type of muscular move that forced me to react quickly – I frantically flailed both of my hands across my desk in search for my mouse. In mid panic attack I opened Spotify and blasted the shit out of the same playlist I used when I first won the TWLD Finals. I chugged a Guinness and screamed at my girlfriend to bring me another. When she tried to give me lip through my blaring headphones, the fight or flight response in my amygdala shot me hovering over my body in a bout of dissociation. I was playing subspace, she should have known better. I simply told her ‘Fucking do it’ and the Guinness appeared.

We lost the first round. Paladen had 25 years of experience playing together so it wasn’t a surprise. If we were going to push this to a round 3, I knew success was going to fall on my Veteran shoulders. Round 2 was going the same way. We struggled to hang, but I was determined to fight these fresh bloods until the end. I found myself in a 1v2 situation against certified legends of 2018 – Jessup and Sawyer. Jessup was on 6, Sawyer on 9. I was on 7. I strayed out Sawyer from r4 and found myself in a 1v1 against Jessup, the guy who I was space bullying with beam just the night before.

I’m a TWEL-D Champion. I’ve defeated LaSenza to claim that title. However, nothing prepared me for Jessup’s 2018 style. He had a 1 point lead with 10 minutes left and his superior math ability propelled him into a tactic that I hadn’t anticipated. Knowing he was up one kill, he ran for 7 minutes without taking a shot. When he completely ran off my map I had time to reflect on my duels with greats like RaCka, Ease, Raspi and LaSenza. For a few seconds I hated all of them because none of those vaunted matchups served me for the moment I had now found myself in on March 4th, 2018. Flew was in spec saying ‘Flew> MYTH TAKING THE WORST SHOTS’. I had 3 minutes left to get one kill to force overtime for my new team. It was this moment when I knew I had to become what Sika and Delectable had been for me. I had to inspire the future of this game. The crowd was building to over 20, surely a sign of prime interest and undeniable glory worth bathing in that only Julius Caesar could relate to if I could achieve the impossible.

I reminded myself who the fuck Mythril was. I’m the guy who Sika was humbled by in 2003. Delectable saw something in me when he annihilated me 10-0. Even Randedl eventually learned to believe in me. I rushed Jessup and tied the game with a minute left in regulation. I pushed it to overtime and assaulted the man so badly with another vicious rush that I started gassing out and ran for 3 minutes afterwards. Jessup turned up the heat but I slapped him with a counter in r1 range when he tried to rush me. I was now safely up 2 kills and had to provide entertainment to the crowd watching this display of legendary magnitude surely unseen in the calendar year. I remembered that Paladen players didn’t know how to initiate anti-warp and Jessup confirmed my theory. I flew within inches of his ship and warped before he could kill me. My team was laughing so hard and I know this for a fact because they typed in capital letters. I can only imagine how spec felt.

Nobody could stop me on March 4th. I took one final shot from r2 range that Jessup didn’t have a chance of dodging. It was a checkmate shot so good that even I couldn’t have dodged it. It was the type of shot that demands respect, similar to a Corvette trying to merge in front of you with 2 inches of space. You get the fuck out of the way and acknowledge your superiors with a notion that doesn’t require eye contact. The type of respect I felt for the elders and pioneers of my generation who paved the way, and my Father Ease. The type of respect which is only reserved for Absolute Veterans.

This is my story of what transpired on March 4th, 2018.
    PattheBat> steadman your name is literally "a mean std"
    ogron> CM,OPN NMKAN

Great read.

I was there on March 4th, and witnessed first hand this magnificent display of warbirdery.

Maybe in 2030 those of us who were there on March 4th can get together and reminisce and pass the legend on to the Ixadors of future generations.
    JAMAL> laggy no skill nebwie
    JuanJuan> you a fucking lagass cheater
    mAZe Of tOrM> try more faggot
    mAZe Of tOrM> u suck dick

Shadowmere> Nice lag you fagf

Comment

LMAO, bow down to the mighty Myth
      TWL-J Season 11 Champion
      TWL-J Season 21 Champion
      TWL-B Season 21 Champion
      TWL-B Season 22 Finalist
      TWDT-D 2017 Champion
      TWDT-J 2017 Champion

Comment

Jesus, now i want to play. Thanks Mythril for the great read. I chuckled while reading your r5 on sika.
        TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

the perfect blend of nostalgia and Jessup bashing - 5/5
          TWL-J Season 11 Champion
          TWL-J Season 21 Champion
          TWL-B Season 21 Champion
          TWL-B Season 22 Finalist
          TWDT-D 2017 Champion
          TWDT-J 2017 Champion

Comment

Congrats on winning as your team cheated filling screen with spam. You are amazing.

[IMG][/IMG]
            TWDT-J CHAMPION POWER 2018
            TWDT-B CHAMPION POWER 2018
            TWDT TRIPLE CROWN MEMBER POWER 2018
            TSL TRIPLE CROWN FINALIST 2018
            TSLD CHAMPION 2018
            TSLB CHAMPION 2018

Comment

Mythril! This was a pleasant read, thank you for it! I always admired you since I started playing competitively for your unrelenting tenacity during tough games. March 4th was an epitome of your experience and skill from years play. I am happy that once again we share the roster together and look very much forward to more games with you my friend. Cheers!

PS: Jessup.. I kind of told Flew jokingly to spam you when you were flying like a dimwit. He took it seriously but joke is still on you since we've had the "ignore macro" option since day 1 :> Might be worth while to enable it for the future!

-IxaDor

Comment

Flying like a dimwit? I was doing what I should have done.. I wasn't going to shoot first and open myself to a kill. Mythril was going to have to earn it but thanks for admitting as a Cap you encourage your squadmates to spam teams during matches. You sure have honor. Taking time to start typing commands to ignore your cheating squad while I'm in a showdown so I can be killed wasn't going to happen and also I'm staff so am not supposed to ignore people. Go ahead and become the troll you wish to be ixador. It suits your personality recently. You sure have changed. :\
                TWDT-J CHAMPION POWER 2018
                TWDT-B CHAMPION POWER 2018
                TWDT TRIPLE CROWN MEMBER POWER 2018
                TSL TRIPLE CROWN FINALIST 2018
                TSLD CHAMPION 2018
                TSLB CHAMPION 2018

Comment

It was interesting to read. Several months ago, I had a push of interest for this game that I read all that I could find on the internet, I search the forum, all sites stamped trench wars, read the story of Epinephrine on wikipedia .. You draw your name from the game Final Fantasy, I'm a big fan I've all played (except 11-14-15), what I like in this game is deep history and charismatic characters. I never thought I would find it in a game like SubSpace. To compare with the term used by Epinephrine, Golden Era, last year with among other things the departure of Ogron, ended the Attitude Era, which I would have lived a tiny bit. Now get to the Universe Era, and what the fans want is obviously to see the glories of the previous eras. About a month ago appeared LaSenza, it's the first time I saw him in the game, having read a lot of things I knew who he was. The future of the game looks less bleak than I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessup View Post
                    Flying like a dimwit? I was doing what I should have done.. I wasn't going to shoot first and open myself to a kill. Mythril was going to have to earn it but thanks for admitting as a Cap you encourage your squadmates to spam teams during matches. You sure have honor. Taking time to start typing commands to ignore your cheating squad while I'm in a showdown so I can be killed wasn't going to happen and also I'm staff so am not supposed to ignore people. Go ahead and become the troll you wish to be ixador. It suits your personality recently. You sure have changed. :\
                    TWL Finals Season 33. What a match it was! Oh wait, you lost. Nvm.
                    "Action is the real measure of intelligence. "
                    Napoleon Hill

wiibimbo>I'm gonna take u out next week for a beer and pizza at Leonardo's...no homo tho! I prefer big boobs
                    Dral>I can get implants

Comment

Not sure why but I too found myself back on Continuum and in the Trench Wars Divisions this week. I logged on to find 340 minutes left of a 360 minute BanC still on my rap-sheet from nearly a year and a half ago. I spent all 340 minutes of those spawning steam newbies in public base who didn't know how to turn off base warp. Upon being free of my silence I proceeded to gamble all of my space dollars eventually losing everything to the fruit machine. Rigged. To honour my BanC I equipped a swastika banner, joined a squad and got right into a JD. I was subbed in with 4 deaths left and for 12 minutes I smacked up Kim with 3.4 bombs/m, suddenly in blueout "Kim> how is this guy wearing a swastika banner in play right now, ban him". We won, gg.

Comment

looooool

can we make march 4th mythril day?
                        1:Riverside> you guys eat schmores in america?

Comment

True story. I was there for all of those bad shots. Myth.. Racka and I joined the dark side. ?squad flew and ?squad racka

Comment

are you a girl
                            Leland

Comment

That was an absolute roller coaster of a read Myth. Thanks for that.
                              JAMAL> didn't think there was a worse shark than midoent but the_paul takes it

turban> claus is the type of person that would eat shit just so you would have to smell his breath

Originally posted by Ilya;n1135707
                              the_paul: the worst guy, needs to go back to school, bad at his job, guido

Comment

Working...
                              X